VPJFT+ one week to go

Redrover

Reaction score
Hi chaps, i just passed my Interview and i have one week to go before my VPJFT and i am unsure how to train just before the test, as to not exhaust myself.
Any advice.

Cheers.

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mate well done on passing interview. So with my vPJFT+ I did my last run through (4 rounds maximal) about 7 days before the real one. I then ticked over with some bodyweight circuits stuff - sub maximal. I took 3 clear days off before the test to stretch and foam roll etc. If you know you can do the test (4 rounds) then you'll have no issues. You just don't want to be sore going into it - basically go in as fresh as you can. Good luck!

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It really depends on your level of fitness. I am having my test in 35 minutes so I can share what I did exactly in the last 7 days:
Yesterday (Tuesday): rest, went for a walk and stretched in the evening
Monday: 7.17 km easy run, stretching
Sunday: 4 rounds of VPJFT, pull ups 10-10-7, stretching
Saturday: rest, stretching
Friday: full RMFA (2x1.5 milers instead of bleep test, push ups, sit ups, pull ups to beep), stretching
Thursday: 4 rounds of VPJFT, 8-6-6 pull ups, stretching
Wednesday: AM strength yoga and core PM 7km road cycling, push up, sit up, pull up test to the beep, stretching

30 minutes to go better go get changed and start warming/setting up.

Redrover

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i really appreciate the help and good luck with your test, let us know how it went?

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck mate / how did you do. Surely passed!

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Did you get the cheeky 4 rounds too mate?

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Did you get the cheeky 4 rounds too mate?
No but I asked it before the test if I should start the 4 rounds’ audio, he said I don’t need to. I was surprised that he asked if I can take a pulse reading at the end. I haven’t heard that from others. Luckily I was able to take it with my watch.

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ah ok, I got a strong pass also mate, I think the PT just was bored and wanted me to do a bit more. Asked jokingly if I wanted to do a fifth :) haha. I think he was a bitof a joker, nice guy though. I didn't do the pulse though thats a new one. Well done mate for passing :).

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ah ok, I got a strong pass also mate, I think the PT just was bored and wanted me to do a bit more. Asked jokingly if I wanted to do a fifth :) haha. I think he was a bitof a joker, nice guy though. I didn't do the pulse though thats a new one. Well done mate for passing :).
Thanks a lot! Off to a run now, even the sun came out to celebrate haha

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
haha good man! You regular or reserve? Where you based mate?

Nemesis!

Reaction score
No but I asked it before the test if I should start the 4 rounds’ audio, he said I don’t need to. I was surprised that he asked if I can take a pulse reading at the end. I haven’t heard that from others. Luckily I was able to take it with my watch.
Congratulations Mace! Out of curiosity, what was your heart rate?

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Congratulations Mace! Out of curiosity, what was your heart rate?
160 at the end probably after 30 sec to 1 minute. Didn’t do any box breathing or anything to bring it down. I just checked and last week I did 4 rounds of VPJFTs on 3 days (Tue, Thu, Sun) and the highest it got was 177 during the burpees. The plank and push up bring it down to a range of 130-140. And then goes up again.

Nemesis!

Reaction score
160 at the end probably after 30 sec to 1 minute.
Did the PTI comment on it? I’m about to run through the test and will check mine at the end. Figured yours would be good to compare with since you had a strong pass.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Did the PTI comment on it? I’m about to run through the test and will check mine at the end. Figured yours would be good to compare with since you had a strong pass.
Didn’t say a thing about it just scribed it down. I think they are using it to compare it your ROP HR. I noticed they are measuring HRs which I love seeing. He asked me about my swim (luckily I am a strong swimmer) and RMFA scores and noted down the scores.

I doesn’t make any sense to compare your HR to anyone else. As long as it not in your 90% of max HR range and drops down quickly (the faster is drops, the fitter you are) you are good to go. That’s why I keep saying get something (ideally Polar H10 chest strap) to measure your HR as it is cost effective tool to monitor your training and overall readiness.