VPJFT & ROP fitness guides

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have to say STOIC's RM Commando Prep Course I think is so far one of the better plans I have come across. Have your tried @mace ?
No, I haven’t. Am I far off to assume it’s very CrossFit like? You do your strength or aerobic work followed by a Metcon?

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I might sign up to test the app. I wonder if the app is the personalised My PT Hub software.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have personalised is their plan? Does it ask for you to enter 1RM’s, max reps and run times?

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No doesn't do that but knowing your stuff you could easily do that. Its CrossFit like in workout style but incorporating elements from the RM Pre ROP plan. Screen shots attached.

ITs probably less overall work than you have been doing yourself, so If you fancied a change of 'scenery' and pace I highly recommend it.

In fact implementing STOIC with the RM plan on the Navy website would be ideal I think.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.07.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.07.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.07.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.07.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.14.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.14.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.19.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.19.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.25.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.25.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.31.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.31.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.47.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.47.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.37.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.58.37.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.59.08.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 09.59.08.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 85

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For me, it's a miss but I am pretty sure it's great for anyone wanting to improve strength while being very specific to RM. I like that they included tempos for the reps. You don't see that very often. I am not sure why they state specific HR BPM instead of percentages. Did you have to enter your age or max HR? If not, the HR% range should have been used in my opinion.

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I did.

Just finished treadmill 1.5 miler session. PB 8m 20s and felt I could do faster.

Tell you what your tibialis really burns after that, good job I've been doing Knee ability zero ;)

r_yh__n

Reaction score
For the press-ups in the PJFT, do you go down and come up, then wait two seconds, or do you go down, wait two seconds, get up, wait two seconds, and then go down again?

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For the press-ups in the PJFT, do you go down and come up, then wait two seconds, or do you go down, wait two seconds, get up, wait two seconds, and then go down again?
You wait at the top.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
Any Marines know how exactly you perform the "stand-up sit-down" exercise? Do you do it without a chair? Do you sit down cross-legged? Just a weird exercise for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210415-145731.png
    Screenshot_20210415-145731.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 13

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Any Marines know how exactly you perform the "stand-up sit-down" exercise? Do you do it without a chair? Do you sit down cross-legged? Just a weird exercise for me.
I am curios as well. What I have been doing it squat down —> bum down with one hand behind me, knees in 90 degrees angle foot planted on the floor —> same hand push myself up to the low squat —> stand up. Repeat other side but other arm and keep alternating.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
I am curios as well. What I have been doing it squat down —> bum down with one hand behind me, knees in 90 degrees angle foot planted on the floor —> same hand push myself up to the low squat —> stand up. Repeat other side but other arm and keep alternating.
That's my guess too. I just made a thread asking the question but if none answers I'll just do this, seems solid enough.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
He mace what'd you do for the hill session here? Does 50% refer to heart rate on the 1-10 scale? Just weird since it says sprint when you can't sprint at 50% heart rate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210415-163229.png
    Screenshot_20210415-163229.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 13

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
He mace what'd you do for the hill session here? Does 50% refer to heart rate on the 1-10 scale? Just weird since it says sprint when you can't sprint at 50% heart rate.
Just answered it at the other thread: "At no point during the 4-week programme should you be training at a maximal heart rate"
It entirely depends on your training age. I am not sure if I am experienced enough to give an opinion about that programming. It's too controversial. Trained ranks say you don't need to do much just the basics and follow the official training programme (which one?! the old PRE-PRMC is much more intense and holistic than this new 4 week ROP one) and don't worry about much just the push-sit-pull up, have a fast run time and be able to swim and leave the rest for the training team.

I am on a different view. Unless you try and do other exercises that require you to move well across multiple planes, you don't know how bad/good (efficient) you are at those movements. So telling that you shouldn't try and do another movement's just the above or "tried and tested" exercises will not highlight any areas that you actually should focus on because you have a weakness/disfunction/balance issue. From my point of view, that's an injury waiting to happen that could be prevented well before RT. I can only be sure which way works best for ME once I am actually in RT so only time will tell if my energy on other areas was well worth it or a waste of time. Either way is going to give me experience and humbleness.

By the way, I really like the Navy Seal PT guide/programme that @Rob20 shared. I think I am going to once again slightly change my current run programming based on that one.
I attached it if you missed it. The 26-week slow progression is what I like the most.

Attachments

• naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf
    524.3 KB · Views: 22

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Just answered it at the other thread: "At no point during the 4-week programme should you be training at a maximal heart rate"
It entirely depends on your training age. I am not sure if I am experienced enough to give an opinion about that programming. It's too controversial. Trained ranks say you don't need to do much just the basics and follow the official training programme (which one?! the old PRE-PRMC is much more intense and holistic than this new 4 week ROP one) and don't worry about much just the push-sit-pull up, have a fast run time and be able to swim and leave the rest for the training team.

I am on a different view. Unless you try and do other exercises that require you to move well across multiple planes, you don't know how bad/good (efficient) you are at those movements. So telling that you shouldn't try and do another movement's just the above or "tried and tested" exercises will not highlight any areas that you actually should focus on because you have a weakness/disfunction/balance issue. From my point of view, that's an injury waiting to happen that could be prevented well before RT. I can only be sure which way works best for ME once I am actually in RT so only time will tell if my energy on other areas was well worth it or a waste of time. Either way is going to give me experience and humbleness.

By the way, I really like the Navy Seal PT guide/programme that @Rob20 shared. I think I am going to once again slightly change my current run programming based on that one.
I attached it if you missed it. The 26-week slow progression is what I like the most.

Yer mate I was a big fan of it. When you look at the phys in BUDs, it seems very similar in ways to the early weeks of RM Training. Lots of bodyweight stuff, running and obviously some water work. I think its quite specific and relevant to what will be asked of you in training.

Personally I'm not happy how things are changing ref the sub maximal nonsense in training. It completely gives the wrong impression. The old PRMC standard is a great benchmark and always will be.

1.5 miles in 12:30. Followed immediately by another 1.5miler, aiming for sub 9
60 press ups to beep
85 sit ups to beep
10+ pull ups to beep
And obviously a good swimmer.

Tick those boxes and you'll be alright

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Tick those boxes and you'll be alright
Yes, you will be alright. No doubt. But wouldn't you be more alright if the RM provided recruits a longer (preferably 52 weeks) training programme that involves a bit more? Would that not set up recruits physically to more success? I am thinking of involving exercises to avoid shin splints or have a better balance, proprioception, grip strength etc.? I understand the Corps is not looking for the finished product but I think most recruits with a limited training age would benefit from it and wouldn't get binned off early on the training as fewer injuries would more likely to occur. For example, as I am coming from a non-aerobic background and I only started focusing on running a little over a year ago, sure as hell I would have appreciated a complete run programme for a total beginner that is sanctioned by RM PTIs especially if it included exercises that strengthen your gastroc/soleus/anterior tibialis. The Pre-PRMC programming starts off with 2 miles of running and progresses far too quickly if you compare that to the Navy Seal one. If a 52-week programme was designed I am sure a lot more people would have the confidence to follow such progression where you start of let's say 1-2km or 10-15 minutes of run-walk and progressing 10% each week. Same for the pull up for example: why not build it from the ground up for those who can't even do 1 pull up? I understand there is a lot of great information out there and thinking soldier and all but that is also the problem. In this age, it's too much information out there and wouldn't it be best if it came from just 1 official RM source?

Rob20

Reaction score
Yes, you will be alright. No doubt. But wouldn't you be more alright if the RM provided recruits a longer (preferably 52 weeks) training programme that involves a bit more? Would that not set up recruits physically to more success? I am thinking of involving exercises to avoid shin splints or have a better balance, proprioception, grip strength etc.? I understand the Corps is not looking for the finished product but I think most recruits with a limited training age would benefit from it and wouldn't get binned off early on the training as fewer injuries would more likely to occur. For example, as I am coming from a non-aerobic background and I only started focusing on running a little over a year ago, sure as hell I would have appreciated a complete run programme for a total beginner that is sanctioned by RM PTIs especially if it included exercises that strengthen your gastroc/soleus/anterior tibialis. The Pre-PRMC programming starts off with 2 miles of running and progresses far too quickly if you compare that to the Navy Seal one. If a 52-week programme was designed I am sure a lot more people would have the confidence to follow such progression where you start of let's say 1-2km or 10-15 minutes of run-walk and progressing 10% each week. Same for the pull up for example: why not build it from the ground up for those who can't even do 1 pull up? I understand there is a lot of great information out there and thinking soldier and all but that is also the problem. In this age, it's too much information out there and wouldn't it be best if it came from just 1 official RM source?
Yer mate completely get it. Alot of the factors you mentioned are areas that get focused on if you go to hunter. Balance and proprioception etc. If we were looking for the fittest athletes I'd agree with your view completely.

But, we're not looking for athletes, we're looking for potential commandos. The thinking solider. Lads who will go out their way to get as prepared as they can be. Watch Cockleshell Heroes, the bit where they're dropped in scotland in nazi uniforms and given a few days to be back in Southsea. Yes, they were blue lidded marines but the job they werd training for was very much Commando.

If we start spoon feeding lads every bit of information, if we start treating them like professional athletes, if we keep bowing down to the soft society and allowing that to affect our training and our traditions, the further away we move from the rogue, forward thinking Commando's we are supposed to be.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
Maybe it means percentage of the distance you're supposed to do of the 30-40m incline. So 15 or 20 metres at first then you work your way up.

Rob20

Reaction score
Maybe it means percentage of the distance you're supposed to do of the 30-40m incline. So 15 or 20 metres at first then you work your way up.

No. Otherwise it would give a distance. Its perceived level of effort.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
No. Otherwise it would give a distance. Its perceived level of effort.
I had another look on my way back from fartlek training and noticed it points out the RPE level for each sprint so the % representative of effort seems redundant. But the vagueness does lend to a simpler guage of effort as you say so. Shouldn't call it a sprint though if you're not running as fast you can. Anyway...