VPJFT

Trainerchin

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if the vPJFT is here to stay or are we reverting back to the standard PJFT? If so does anyone know when this will be?

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I don't even think the top brass have the answer to this question let alone anyone on this forum.

If you can't pass the old PJFT and the new vPJFT+ with ease then you're not fit enough. Train to be able to pass both with ease and you'll be fine.

Curql

Reaction score
I doubt the vPJFT will stay, it’s just a matter of when

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I would think it depends more on how successful vPJFT has been, the numbers behind it. If its effectively selecting lads who then go on to pass ROP, its doing its job. The driver for change is selecting the right candidates to move forward.

It must save the Corps cash in recruiting, from not paying for return train tickets and all the other expenses that go into it.

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think the current circuit is a better representation of your physical fitness,as it tests your cardio, core strength, pushups and sit ups. The treadmill run is relatively easy. Even my middle aged mother has done it.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I really don't think its cost effective.

Costs £3,000 per recruit for them to attend a vPJFT+ and a 4 week ROP.

It costs less than 10% of that to put them through the old PJFT and a PRMC.

Any form of pre-joining fitness test which does not test the ability to run at best effort for a certain time/distance is doing future recruits a dis-service.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I think the current circuit is a better representation of your physical fitness,as it tests your cardio, core strength, pushups and sit ups. The treadmill run is relatively easy. Even my middle aged mother has done it.

The treadmill run should have never been easy! 1.5 miles in 11:30 then 1.5 miles best effort if you weren't dangling at the end then you were doing it wrong.

Reactions: JWJ

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I really don't think its cost effective.

Costs £3,000 per recruit for them to attend a vPJFT+ and a 4 week ROP.

It costs less than 10% of that to put them through the old PJFT and a PRMC.

Any form of pre-joining fitness test which does not test the ability to run at best effort for a certain time/distance is doing future recruits a dis-service.
I'm not sold on the ROP side of it, but I haven't looked much into it all. Just purely comparing the old PJFT + PRMC and the vPJFT, with the consideration that determination and cardiovascular fitness would be assessed at ROP if that makes sense

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Apologies, its been a long day I got that figure completely wrong there regarding cost to put a recruit through a ROP. It sits closer to £1200 per recruit and that's just wages and train tickets, not even taking into account things such as feeding, kit issue, costs of training.

Sprint0205

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Apologies, its been a long day I got that figure completely wrong there regarding cost to put a recruit through a ROP. It sits closer to £1200.
If you could have it your way, what would be the perfect system? Just the old one, PJFT and then PRMC or something else?

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The old system worked, if it's not broken, don't fix it! Interview, PJFT, PRMC.

Then have the ROP as the first 4 weeks of training but its solely there to do what it's supposed to do, build foundations and set recruits up for success in mainstream training. Its difficult for the ROP to serve that purpose when it is also serving as a selection filter.

Sprint0205

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The old system worked, if it's not broken, don't fix it! Interview, PJFT, PRMC.
From my perspective as a potential recruit, I definitely see the PRMC as a way bigger challenge, based off what I've seen. Do you think it will return post-COVID?

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The treadmill run should have never been easy! 1.5 miles in 11:30 then 1.5 miles best effort if you weren't dangling at the end then you were doing it wrong.

Running/ cardio is the thing I'm best at. It compensates for my weakness in upper body strength. But yeah, it does do a lot on your legs, but the treadmill is doing a lot of the work for you. Even with inclination. If you can place your device on the treadmill and find something good to watch, it is far more tolerable.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Running/ cardio is the thing I'm best at. It compensates for my weakness in upper body strength. But yeah, it does do a lot on your legs, but the treadmill is doing a lot of the work for you. Even with inclination. If you can place your device on the treadmill and find something good to watch, it is far more tolerable.
His point is more that you should put 100% effort into it regardless if you find the passing standard easy. If you didn't finish the PJFT feeling like you're about to die, just like any best effort run, you didnt put best effort into it.

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
His point is more that you should put 100% effort into it regardless if you find the passing standard easy. If you didn't finish the PJFT feeling like you're about to die, just like any best effort run, you didnt put best effort into it.

I didn't say it is easy, but relatively easy. Maybe I should change it to, on second thought, something like 'not that bad' or 'ok'.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

You weren't allowed anything to watch, it used to be done staring at a blank wall in a side room to the main gym with no music either (or mine was when I went through the old system nearly 10 years ago).

Seems absolutely insane to think but 3 mates of mine that went on to pass out as RM all failed their first PJFT. One didn't make the time, one fully admits he straight up wrapped and slowed the machine down, one was a bit of a funny and sh*t himself so the Nuffield PT kicked him out the gym. Obviously all more than made amends for it since then of course!

Having experienced both, I've posted this before on the same subject, vPJFT was massively easy in comparison. The total reps in 15 mins don't end up being much more than doing an RMFA to a decent standard over the course of about 8-10 minutes.

There is a reason pages like 'GrizzPhys' on Instagram post so many absolutely disgusting 45+ minute circuits which are what I aim to do for my own phys each day now, because that is a lot more comparable to the phys in RT.

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You weren't allowed anything to watch, it used to be done staring at a blank wall in a side room to the main gym with no music either (or mine was when I went through the old system nearly 10 years ago).

Seems absolutely insane to think but 3 mates of mine that went on to pass out as RM all failed their first PJFT. One didn't make the time, one fully admits he straight up wrapped and slowed the machine down, one was a bit of a funny and sh*t himself so the Nuffield PT kicked him out the gym. Obviously all more than made amends for it since then of course!

Having experienced both, I've posted this before on the same subject, vPJFT was massively easy in comparison. The total reps in 15 mins don't end up being much more than doing an RMFA to a decent standard over the course of about 8-10 minutes.

There is a reason pages like 'GrizzPhys' on Instagram post so many absolutely disgusting 45+ minute circuits which are what I aim to do for my own phys each day now, because that is a lot more comparable to the phys in RT.

Oh yeah. I've seen it. I've also talked to guys where the treadmill speed was turned up to something like 15-17 for the last hurdle of the final run. As for the 3rd guy. He has my sympathy, I've had that nearly happen to me a while back