Walking/Hiking

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys i posted this over on Mfat,but just wondering if youve got any thoughts as well.

Im trying to currently get back onto of my fizz after having some injuries, Im having to be carefull about it,but im getting bored with all the gym work.

Im doing my circuits and lots of wierd and wonderfull things outside at the moment (sled dragging,tire pulling,car pulls) to break up the day to day sessions in the gym i also have. But im thinking about maybe introducing some nice hill walking to get me out and about.

I can see it possibly helping with strengthening my feet after my shin problems,although it wont exactly be an intense cardio session. I live near the south downs so have some excellent terrain to trek over.

Just wondering if anyone else does this,i get a kick out of just walking for miles without knowing where im heading!

robj

Reaction score
I live in snowdonia and honestly hill walking is amazing for fitness. When i started hillwalking I noticed a massive increase in my stamina with running and its a good workout in itself.
Not sure what the terrain is like where you live but we have a load of full on mountains just past my back garden so I end up going most weekends. Theres a lot less impact on your joints compared to running so i guess it would be ideal if you're comming back from an injury.
The only bit of advice I'd offer is to get some semi-decent walking boots with good ankle support and maybe some extra insoles to absorb the impact of the downhill bits (always a bitch)!

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the reply mate. Yeh i quite like being outside,so walking about is deffinatly enjoyable even if its not to intense. Ive got some fairly good bits of land around here so i recon i could have some good fun.

Do you walk with a day sack?

And would boots from a hiking shop be suitable or would standard issue boots and insoles be ok? Not really sure how far im looking to go,just plan on putting my headphones on and going walking all day,seeing where i get!

robj

Reaction score
Well I've got some berghaus boots that were like £100 but that was from a while back, I'd have thought standard issue boots would be fine. I've been thinking of going hill walking with the ones they issued me on PRMC but then figured if I get half way up and realise they're killing my feet then it'll be a bit of a *text deleted* walk back!
I just normally take a day sack with me and pack a few essentials into it. This time of year its probably a good idea to take a set of waterproofs for sure, oh and a nice packed lunch haha!

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
lucky son of a bitches :P im from birmingham we have the exciting roads to walk and hopefully ill atleast have my underwear when i return :D good job lads keep up the hiking!!

matt

Reaction score
Sam,

I would say that walking over the South Downs is a great crack - being local to the Downs as well, I've been out hiking over parts of them loads of times.
I would say that you can get a very decent training session out of walking if you walk with a reasonable weight on your back (there are loads of decent hills on the Downs). I've been training for my PRMC for a while now, and after a two day 'yomp' over the eastern part of the downs just before Christmas, its fair to say I was knackered.

As for walking in boots - I manage just fine in my North Face walking shoes (did make sure that I got a pair with Gore-Tex though!).

Other than that - If you plan to go out walking for the day, or possibly longer with a route in mind - I would recommend that you have a map and compass with you, for all the obvious reasons..

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers mate, some good info there. How often do you try to get up the downs? Im almost looking forward to clocking up some miles in this weather at the moment!

matt

Reaction score
Not as often as I'd like unfortunately; averaged about once a month between August and December. As I've been getting closer to my PRMC date, I've notched up the intensity of my training - so if I'm not running, swimming or circuit training, then I'm having some much needed rest !

I miss it though - I'm as happy as a pig in the brown stuff when I'm out for a nice hard yomp !

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck on the PRMC mate, im hoping to reapply in the next few months. Im training most days,i know i should be resting,espeically with an injury,but finding it very hard to! Tomorows my planned rest day, but ive just been out and spent £100 on some comfy as f*text deleted** boots so im thinking about going for a walk tomorow! I guess somthing gentle wont do me any harm!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J9R4W Hiking/Hill walking boots Jollies Bar 5
News Walking in a minefield Military News and Clips 0
S Weighted walking Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 8