'Walts' cannot stay away.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I suspect that in reality "down south" was a euphemism for Brighton in this bloke's case. From his appearance now he must have been aged about ten when he was raiding Pebble Island in 1982. :)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
That chap shares a slight resemblance to Ricky Gervais..
Equally as amusing too.

Individuals who wish to bask in reflected glory are peculiar to say the least, but there is no shortage of them. It is actually a crime in the US of A. Then again, the same country thinks the answer to gun crime is to buy more guns....

I'm not 100% sure whether these people need psychiatric treatment, pity or a punch in the grid to be honest. (Walter Mitties, not the 'muricans):cool:

Chelonian

Reaction score
Then again, the same country country thinks the answer to gun crime is to buy more guns....
But most states in the USA have prohibited the import of Kinder chocolate eggs because they also contain small plastic parts which constitute a choking hazard and are therefore more dangerous to public safety than relaxed gun laws. :)
The logic baffles me.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Equally as amusing too.

Individuals who wish to bask in reflected glory are peculiar to say the least, but there is no shortage of them. It is actually a crime in the US of A. Then again, the same country thinks the answer to gun crime is to buy more guns....

I'm not 100% sure whether these people need psychiatric treatment, pity or a punch in the grid to be honest. (Walter Mitties, not the 'muricans):cool:

If you look at the statistic of violent crime in states where there is legal Concealed Carry Permits, it's lower than states that prohibit CC or guns at all.
They don't find the solution to gun crime is more guns, but more education and proper training, and better background checks. It's just a fancy saying that the left wing media like to throw around.
We may have digressed!

I am sure that bloke doesn't even have the right beret. I am sure that's a Cypress Green Beret of the Intelligence Corps?

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Equally as amusing too.

Stolen Valour believe they call it and YouTube has many videos showing guys like this being approached and questioned, compared to how the US guys call someone out this guy was very polite.

Regarding the subject of 'Walts', does no one think the USA as more of these guys because the way they glamorize war and their different regiments/units. (101st/Navy Seals/ Marines)

Obviously statistically the US has a bigger population so more of them will come out and impersonate, but compared to the UK not much is known about SF units or regiments, and you don't see soldiers wearing uniform here unless it's a parade/display team/careers fair.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Everyone probably has different views. Pride is the issue, I think.

The term 'stolen valour' is risible to British sensibilities to my mind and best left across the pond. Valour is an act that cannot be stolen. The medals recognising it can be stolen but very, very few of us have medals for valour, they are mostly for "attendance". Even that can be contentious - you got the same OSM in Afghanistan if the closest you got to action was an argument in the queue at Pizza Hut at Kandahar or came under direct fire on a daily basis in a remote OP.

A good many years ago I remember being upset because a bloke was wearing an Argentine footy shirt in my local pub, just a few weeks after the conflict. Looking back I seriously don't know why he was wearing it or why I was upset about it as neither makes much sense.

I think the issue with regard Walter Mitty's is some object to others receiving reflected glory or kudos rather than 'stolen valour'.

My thoughts are that if anyone pinched my kudos, I wouldn't notice and in any case they are welcome to it, if it makes them feel better. Self-worth is more important than what others may think about you. Good or bad.

Rover

Reaction score
If you're going to Walt it, at least don't do it in front of thousands of bootnecks

Amazed at those who claim to have been in the Royal Marines and try to convince others of their service.-doctor-

Many have fallen foul of a few simple questions that any genuine Royal Marine would know.

To say the RM is a family is perhaps an understatement; the extended family can be found all around the world. If you do not know the person directly then you will know others who do.:cool:

We few! Indeed a band of brothers.

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
When he said that the history of his unit had been changed on Wikipedia hahaha, and his face when the Royal asked your genuine?

rocketman88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
"So where did you serve sir"
"Combined operations"
"What?"
"Artillery"
I'm sorry that doesn't sound right to me"
"Gun"
"I think you're being disrespec..."
"Boats!"
"Ok well you carry on then but it isn't right what you're doing"
"Tanks?"

Chelonian

Reaction score
Amazed at those who claim to have been in the Royal Marines and try to convince others of their service.-doctor-

Many have fallen foul of a few simple questions that any genuine Royal Marine would know.
Back through the mists of time to the 1980s I had recently left the Army and was working in Africa when the Falklands conflict started. My former battalion participated.

I was astonished when I returned to the UK at the number of people I met—usually in pubs—who had apparently also served in my former unit. Although these individuals seemed to be well versed in the published history of certain actions in the Falkland Islands none seemed to recall the names of the significant individuals and 'personalities' within the battalion.

Mr D

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I just cant get over this as @westy say's above you dont do this in the presence of a thousand bootneck's,you never going to wing that, I now firmly believe that these people are in need of some sort of psychiatric help.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I now firmly believe that these people are in need of some sort of psychiatric help.
I ponder if this a new phenomenon or if people in their own times were cutting about town claiming to have fought at Agincourt or Waterloo.
From a modern perspective, the notion of 'empathy' seems to have evolved into an urge to 'be a part' of something that one admires without considering that for some this is a serious business and not just another excuse to dig into the dressing up box. [Please take note HRH The Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex.] :)

The sad oaf featured in Rover's video clip may have had genuine sympathy for Sgt Blackman's cause but clearly misdirected his support.

Rover

Reaction score
Early this year a Moderator on a RM site was sent a book to review;

"I am a writer and have written a biography of a Former Royal Commando who was also SBS. His story is completely true, as told to his biographer. I published it myself with the help of another Former Royal Marine Commando who had also been SBS.I have been told that you do book reviews, I already have some good ones but I thought that the members of your Forum might be interested. Everything in XXXXXX is completely true, unlike some books.”

Needless to say the book was reviewed and verification from various sources obtained.

The outcome being that the main character had indeed served as a Royal Marine his main draft being to Narnia. Just about everything in the book was exposed as a tissue of lies as regards his own exploits.-doctor-

Outcome being one unhappy author and various people removing parts of their Facebook entries. o_O

The books marketing being that the person was a member of the SBS and being sold as such for £19.99.

The term ‘obtaining money under false pretences’ comes to mind.

Interestingly the book was also reviewed on Amazon, 10 five star reviews and 2 one star. From the 12 reviews guess which knew what they were talking about.:confused::cool:

Chelonian

Reaction score
The outcome being that the main character had indeed served as a Royal Marine his main draft being to Narnia.
Totnes, Devon is twinned with Narnia!
Funnily enough, my godson bought a book from a charity shop for 50p and lent it to me when he'd finished it. It was apparently authored by a former Royal Marine who—not that I know much about it—appeared to have served in the LC branch, driving rigid raiders or whatever they now drive. This was interesting in itself but the book was somewhat spoiled by repeated and sometimes unsubtle suggestions by the author that he too was SBS.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There are without doubt Walter Mitty's with former service as well as those with no military service.

When people start to make a living out of their lies, I get the hump. One chap a couple of years back claimed he was an RM ML & worked as a fitness trainer in a gym on the strength of his claimed CV. Turns out he wrapped about week 16 of recruit training. He even had the world's biggest G&L tatt on his shoulder. I made sure he was fully humiliated & sacked. I would do the same again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rover 'Tomcat'. Another 'walts' life of fantasy. Military News and Clips 0
D Walts! Be Aware Jollies Bar 7
prmc85 Walts - hilarious Jollies Bar 2