Want to apply? from Manchester? here to help

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
AFCO

Welcome aboard Graeme. We already have a very credible AFCO, but gladly welcome you aboard.

Please feel free to post and answer questions from the guys on the site.

All the very best

Steve

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Welcome Graeme, please find a pm waiting.

Cheers GW

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For the benefit of those who aren't already aware, you may contact your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO), by email or phone directly, wherever you live in the UK on the following link, (Manchester included): UK National AFCO Contact details to book a presentation or ask specific advice, as Graeme has outlined.

Alternatively you may book yourself a free presentation at your local AFCO by ringing 03456 07 55 55, wherever you live in the UK, between 09:00 and 21:00 daily.

AFCOs are located nationally as follows:

North East
Darlington, Hull, Hull, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Sheffield.

North West
Carlisle, Liverpool, Manchester, Preston, St Helens,

East Anglia
Cambridge, Chelmsford, Ipswich, Norwich, Peterborough,

Midlands
Birmingham, Coventry, Derby, Leicester, Lincoln, Luton, Nottingham, Oxford, Shrewsbury, Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton,

Wales
Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham

South East
Bournemouth, Brighton, Canterbury, Chatham, Guildford, Ilford, London, Portsmouth, Reading, Southampton

South West
Bristol, Exeter, Gloucester, Plymouth, Redruth, Taunton,

Scotland
Aberdeen, Dundee, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness.

Northern Ireland
Belfast

Some AFCOs, Manchester in particular, are provisionally offering presentations out of normal working hours on a locally arranged basis.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hello...im going through the careers office in manchester...chances are ive seen you..how ever...never noticed any one actually from the marines though...always see some one from the royal navy

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
That's because they all wear CS95 camouflage.

Many AFCO's actually do have RM Commandos either on loan or employed as Careers Advisers. It is rather important to remember however that, for example, a qualified female Royal Navy Careers Adviser is equally as qualified to offer accurate Royal Marines careers advice as much as a Royal Marines Commando Careers adviser is qualified to offer accurate careers advice to a female joining the Royal Navy. Much as many people fail to accept, or indeed like, it's all part of the Royal Navy & all advisers undertake the same course.

In Plymouth AFCO, you'd be hard-pressed to find a qualified Royal Navy uniformed Careers Adviser, mainly because there isn't any, they're all Royal Marines, but you can still join the Royal Navy there.

Edited to amend textual ambiguity. (And crap spelling!)

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up Ninja_Stoker. I once spoke to a marine in my afco he seemed much more enthusiastic to recruit me into the marines than the Navy man I saw later on. I dont mind at all Im sure these guys see countless wannabee's and timewasters so I guess over time the enthusiasim wears down. Despite this I still had a very polite pleasant respectful chat with the Navy man :).

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
What a lot of people do not realise is that if a Royal Marine, on temporary loan to a careers office, successfully persuades someone to join the Royal Marines & that person successfully completes week 15 of training... The Royal Marine, if named by the recruit before he sits the recruiting test, earns a £1000 bounty.

The qualified Careers Adviser doesn't.

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thats not very fair, the qualified advisor if named should also get the bounty after all he will have done the same amount of work recruiting the person as the Marine would have.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hmmn, many would possibly agree! Others wouldn't.

Interestingly last year figures were released on how much it costs per head to get each person to join each arm of the services & start training.

The figures included advertising, medicals, interviews, tests, selection courses, recruiter staffing levels etc.

The figures were quite startling, although I can't remember precise sums, they went roughly as follows Army: £12,000, RAF: £8,000, RN/RM £5,000. I'll recheck the figures & amend if necessary.

I won't go into detail on various reasons, but suffice to say RN/RM Careers Advisers are an awful lot cheaper than their Army & RAF counterparts, which contributes significantly to the overall figures.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja_Stoker said:
That's because they all wear CS95 camouflage.

Many AFCO's actually do have RM Commandos either on loan or employed as Careers Advisers. It is rather important to remember however that, for example, a qualified female Royal Navy Careers Adviser is equally as qualified to offer accurate Royal Marines careers advice as much as a Royal Marines Commando Careers adviser is qualified to offer accurate careers advice to a female joining the Royal Navy. Much as many people fail to accept, or indeed like, it's all part of the Royal Navy & all advisers undertake the same course.

In Plymouth AFCO, you'd be hard-pressed to find a qualified Royal Navy Careers Adviser, mainly because there isn't any, but you can still join the Royal Navy there.
honest not seen one...or even had chat to one...all been dealt with navy personel

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
When you consider, in very rough numerical terms, the Royal Marines make up approximately 10% of the Royal Navy's total strength. In other words you're about 10 times more likely to be processed by an adviser wearing a Naval uniform.

milky

Reaction score
hi alan

there's a really excellent lad in the manchester afco, RM as well, he's in most days and is there until feb, i've been in a few times to chat with them about things.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Milky,

There are frequently Royal Marines on loan to AFCOs, together with their Naval counterparts. It's always worth asking if there is one on loan at your particular AFCO if you want a bit of first-hand training advice.

Graeme

Reaction score
there is

There is a RM working at Manchester, he is available most days. If you want to speak to him then just phone or pop in (0161 835 8270)

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There is one at sheffield aswell and hes a corporal hes a realy funny guy as he was reading the quota for the phycometric test the health and safty bit "if in the event of a fire or a meteor striking the building you will find me out of the fire exit quicker than naval gunfire, i expect you to follow"
Made the day a whole lot better just cause he had a sence of humor