War Zones?

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How often do you have to go? i know you have to do one, but do you have to do more than one or is it voluntaraly?

0.01%

Reaction score
Assuming you are placed into one of the 3 Commando units after training, which most people are, you will go as and when the unit is sent out there. So for anybody like us joining now, it is probably safe to say that we will get to know Afghanistan quite well!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You would go as often as your Commando is deployed I would imagine, specialization would play a part in deployment maybe as well but I don't really know.Fairly certain you go when your told your going and don't have the luxury of having to volunteer for it. Good chance you will go more than once in your career as a Royal Marine Commando

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I think sometimes the Reservists can volunteer to deploy,
but with the regulars I'm guessing you go when you're told,
like Chris has already said,
you will almost definately go more than once in your career as a Marine,
even if you're only in for a few years.

Joe

samw992

Reaction score
you go to a war zone for around 6 months and then after that theres 12 months back in britain or around the world doing adventure training or guard duty etc. you also get a month back in your own home when you first return from your tour.

marines were in my school the other day and theyve been all over the world like australia, america, thailand etc doing extensive training in rock climbing and stuff and get paid for it, after theyve completed it they get a week or 2 doing what they want in that country. sounds like a mint life *text deleted* *text deleted*.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I dont want to leave combat....sad as it seems, im going to ask to spend as much time there as i can. Probably be told to wind my neck in, but *text deleted**text deleted* happens

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ah you wont stacka, it's boring as *text deleted**text deleted* as your doing mostly the boring stuff whilst out on deployment.

Friend of mine in the army took laptops out and ended up playing CnC generals against each other though..

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Ah you wont stacka, it's boring as *text deleted**text deleted* as your doing mostly the boring stuff whilst out on deployment.

Friend of mine in the army took laptops out and ended up playing CnC generals against each other though..

Yeah thats the Army, worlds rejects......this is the Marines mate.....not the same thing.

M

MTW

exactly that.....no doubt its boring with the army.......just literaly had a chat with my next door neighboor (fighter pilot) he just got back from a tour in afghan yesterday, and he said its busy as *text deleted**text deleted* out there, esspecialy for the marines.

all i hear about from my army mates is getting pissed with the yanks and nicking landrovers etc...........

S

Sotiris

If you become a Commando you fight...when there's a war. That's what they're for. I would laugh if it was optional.

Freddo

Reaction score
two of the lads from the Commando documentary were sent to the frontline in Afghanistan about a week after they finished training.

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
what would be the point in them spending husdreads of thausands of pounds in training you if you could just volunteer to go and if you didnt feel like it say not this time mayby next time its what the 2 weeks training is all geered up for

sb146564

Reaction score
I dont want to leave combat....sad as it seems, im going to ask to spend as much time there as i can. Probably be told to wind my neck in, but *text deleted**text deleted* happens

6 months is well long enough mate, any more than that and soldiers start to show symptoms of stress and its not good for the mental health. (Doucumentary I watched)

Also, the whole of 3 commando brigade are being deployed next year to ghaners so plenty of combat for ya there boys!
Ste

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah thats the Army, worlds rejects......this is the Marines mate.....not the same thing.

He's signals, he's out there all the time on attachment ;)
It's all the same, they can't actually put you in combat situations every day, or in fact - alot of them, as you get rotated, granted the marines themselves will be front line duty most of their tour, your still going to be rotated with other units.