Warm-Ups/Stretching

J9R4W

Reaction score
Hi lads,

I was wondering wether static stretching before a run is a good idea or not?

I always do some foam rolling and static stretching followed by the 'get fit to apply' warm-up, which mostly involves dynamic stretches before starting a run.

Recently I read somewhere that its best to only to do static stretches afterwards, and was wondering what other people do for a running warm-up, and if I should stop stretching-off before a run?

Thanks

HAWJ94

Reaction score
Depends what context.... spending an hour doing some static stretches won’t do you any good. But adding just the right amount will be good for you.

most static stretching should wait until after your session. The problem with elongating muscles via stretching is they lose their stiffness and can negatively impact your joint strength through increased range in which your muscles aren’t accustomed to, and therefore weaker.

before I run I stretch my calves just to give them some looseness, but it’s literally 20 seconds a side. Afterwards I might hold each one for a few minutes if I need to.

typically I’ll foam roll everything, then use my theragun, then do some dynamic squats, lunges and leg swings (anterior to posterior and lateral).

do what makes you feel good, but don’t worry about doing excess stretching.

J9R4W

Reaction score
Okay cheers, I think I'll try a few different things out as I've always stretched off before a run without really thinking about it. Yeah that makes sense to lightly stretch any problems areas (e.g., calves) before runs as I tend to have tight hips.

HAWJ94

Reaction score
It’s more or less finding out what works for you. And depending on the intensity/type/duration of the activity then your warm up should change slightly with that.

If however you need to spend 45 minutes stretching just to start a session I would highly recommend that you prioritise sorting yourself out first. Improve your general mobility, strengthen muscles through range and increase your active range of motion first. Then worry about running later.

If you find your hip flexors are tight, also spend time strengthening your glutes and hamstrings. Close and long bridges, clams, frog pumps etc etc.....grab a mini band and go to town on your extension mobility/strength. That’ll help compensate for the anterior weaknesses.

J9R4W

Reaction score
Yeah I'll usually do a 30sec stretch on each muscle in my legs + foam rolling, so not any long holds but certainly enough to loose some stiffness and possibly weaken in the muscles.

Cheers I'll add frog pumps & bridges to my routine, I've only started doing strength/mobility work for running this month(!) and have definitely noticed some weaknesses. At the moment been doing squats, walking lunges, step-ups and calf raises.