Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Warming up

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by ry07, Dec 17, 2018.

1. ry07

ry07 Member

Hi lads & lasses,

Right as title suggests this post is with some confusion about warming up! Specifically taking ages to get warmed up!

So the last few times i have been running, it seems like it's taking me a long time to get warmed through properly. This morning I set off on a steady 5 miler to kick off this week's training, and felt like I was absolutely blowing out of my *text deleted*, heavy breathing, sluggish legs & all the rest of that good stuff. It took me around 2.5 miles to get a sweat on & feel like I was about ready to get going.

So question is, WHY?, haha. I know it's not a question of fitness, i have good endurance, BFT time is a good standard and the same for the bleep test. Just find it odd!

Anybody in the fitness know that can suggest any reasons for this?

Cheers.

2. RyannMo

RyannMo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Could be the simple reason we're going in to winter, cold weather longer to get warmed up. Just do some legs swings, heels to to the front, flick your heels to the back, few squats and lunges for five mins to get the blood flowing could sort it out.
    I also find on days that I have not drunk enough water runs that are usually okay, are noticeably more difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I second that. I did my best BFT time 10 mins after running a 10k.

This certainly helps.

4. ry07

ry07 Member

Cheers lads , will have a bit of a better warm-up next time. Just found it really odd, not really ever happened before.

5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Totally normal! A warm up typically takes between 15-20 mins.

6. ry07

ry07 Member

Good to know! Cheers, least i now know its not just me being a fairy. I'll be doing more of a warm up on this colder days.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

I think many of us take warming up for granted but it wasn’t until training I saw exactly why the warm ups are structed as they are. Ensure you’re doing a good 10/15 mins of exercise such as running about with high knees, heel flicks, side steps, change of directions etc mixed in with press ups, sit ups and squats.

You’ll definitely feel much more energised ready for your phys session as your muscle will start full of oxygenated blood and ready to start working.

I’m much better at warming up then I was before and I definitely have noticed a marked increase in my performance during any phys session I do.

If time is ever an issue do not sacrifice the warm up but instead cut the session slightly harder and just put in the extra effort to make up for it! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. ry07

ry07 Member

I'm with you on that one, it is something i tend to overlook to be honest. I always warm up but probably not to the extent i actually should.

Great advice cheers, ill definitely be adding this into sessions going forward.