Warming Up..

ChrisL

Reaction score
Guys i was just looking through some threads and noticed people arnt stretching or doing little stretching! Guys your training for PRMC and if u dont stretch correctly ie Mobility, Pulse Raiser, and Prep before exercise *text deleted* *text deleted* cause yourselve injury! Also Guys u should be doing cool downs! This should be stretches on the floor for stability and then a revitiliser....

manonfire

Reaction score
Yeah your right there mate. Could do with warming up a bit better.
Been getting pains in my ankles and shins, do you think this is from not Warming up right or something else?

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ye when i didnt stretch my ankles i got pains there which made running hurt. A good warm up helps your training much easier, loosens your body up instead of it being stiff.

ChrisL

Reaction score
Yeah your right there mate. Could do with warming up a bit better.
Been getting pains in my ankles and shins, do you think this is from not Warming up right or something else?
If its in your ankles it is probably joint stability this is where the mobility comes into it!......but it could go down to running posture..

S

Sotiris

I've done PT with Paras and Commandos and all say that there is no scientific evidence to back up stretching. I used to, before every session.

Don't shoot the messenger, tis what they said is all.

manonfire

Reaction score
Yeah been getting it mostly on the inside of the bottom of my shins.
Better start doing a better warm up, really starting to *text deleted**text deleted* me off

ChrisL

Reaction score
I've done PT with Paras and Commandos and all say that there is no scientific evidence to back up stretching. I used to, before every session.

Don't shoot the messenger, tis what they said is all.
Simple answer THERE WRONG

S

Sotiris

I dunno. I never seem to feel the benefit before a workout. As long as you've done some gentle jogging before hand I'm always ok.

These are prefessional PTI's, it's their job to know. In addition their collective experience is vast..about 40 years between the two.

ChrisL

Reaction score
Better start doing a better warm up, really starting to *text deleted**text deleted* me off
You want to be Stretchin all you muscles stating from feet to head So these are the Gastrocnemius, Soleus, Hamstrings, Quadriceps, Adductors, And the Upper Body! Lats, Triceps, Deltoids, Trapezius, Pecs

manonfire

Reaction score
You want to be Stretchin all you muscles stating from feet to head So these are the Gastrocnemius, Soleus, Hamstrings, Quadriceps, Adductors, And the Upper Body! Lats, Triceps, Deltoids, Trapezius, Pecs

Cheers mate,

Was hoping it wasn't something like shin splints coming on.
A bit of a stretch should hopfully sort it.

ChrisL

Reaction score
I dunno. I never seem to feel the benefit before a workout. As long as you've done some gentle jogging before hand I'm always ok.

These are prefessional PTI's, it's their job to know. In addition their collective experience is vast..about 40 years between the two.
OK dont want to affend you but dont be so naive! Im a Personal Trainer and know more than the PTIs its my job to...If these guys say there is no reason to warm up..Why do they do it?

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest, before any run, i've never stretched and i've never gotten injured because of it, i've been running since i was 15, i'm 22 now, never done me any harm.

S

Sotiris

Not offended at all.

I think we need to draw the line between warming up and stretching.

They make us do a lot of warming up but no deliberate stretching.

Like I said, only saying what they said.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yes, it seems Sotiris is correct on this and you have to recognize the difference between warming-up and stretching during warming up.

Counter-intuitively, it seems that stretching prior to excercise is of no benefit in injury prevention!
However for many it is more of a psychological thing, getting in the zone, duuuude.

The findings were published in a few newspapers recently, here's a link to one of them:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-488014/Stretching-exercise-waste-time.html

(This research was actually focussing on muscles soreness after excercise, but other research backs up the title.)

And here's a link to an online journal with reliable references that goes into a little more detail on the whole topic.
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/medicine/bmj/sportsmedicine/pdfs/ch3.pdf

There's quite a bit of stuff on this on google for anyone who is interested.

I'm *text deleted* keep doing dynamic stretches in warm-ups anyway as it delays the beastings that follow!:toung:

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thats 'shin splints' stretch after workouts but there is little point before hand

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ye I heard stretching before training could increase your chance of getting an injury but you should be stretching after

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If your not ment to stretch then why are there stretching excersizes in the little green prmc fitness booklet you get from your afco?

S

Sotiris

Well, stretching is always a part of exercise, but what I've been taught is do it at the end.

I'm looking at that booklet right now. Hmmm...it puts far more emphasis on the warm up then the stretching. Anothing important thing to note is that it promotes stretching to increase flexibility which in turn increses strength.

Hehe look, at the end of the day people are going to do what they feel comfortable with. I'm fine with not stretching before hand...some people of course, will swear by it.

I'm sorry to have brought this up, it seems to have blown out of proportion :blink:.

Luke023

Reaction score
i cant understand why the pti's would say there not much point in stretching. on the prmc ive never been made to stretch so much in all my life. their stretches hurt.

interesting though, although i dont think i quite have the balls in training to question a pti telling me to stretch :uglyhammer: