watch recommendation

U

Unregistered

please could any of you out there suggest a suitable watch for my son,who begins his recruit training at the end of june.thanks for your help.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
please could any of you out there suggest a suitable watch for my son,who begins his recruit training at the end of june.thanks for your help.
Erm i have no bloody idea.....but well done for bringing up a future Royal Marine Commando, you should be proud. :applaus:

crackhour

Civilian Member
Reaction score
May I ask who june is?

only kidding sir,

I would definately say a shock proof/water resistant type, If you click the link below theres a selection at different price ranges which you can specify...

(Of corse if you love him enough, you could just opt for a high end marathon S.A.R..)

Best wishes....(click on the green text below)

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=military+watch&um=1&ie=UTF-8

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
the software has blanked out a part of that address with *text deleted**text deleted*

Basically you should get him something matt black, with and alarm that doesn't beep on the hour and preferably have a back light for operation in the dark, something cheap would do well i would think as it will take a good few knocks during Recruit Training.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
May I ask who june is?

only kidding sir,

I would definately say a shock proof/water resistant type, If you click the link below theres a selection at different price ranges which you can specify...

(Of corse if you love him enough, you could just opt for a high end marathon S.A.R..)

Best wishes....(click on the green text below)

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=military+watch&um=1&ie=UTF-8

Bloody hell Crackhour, i want some of what your earning! Im in the wrong trade, my watch cost me £14 quid from argos! *text deleted*

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Many Royal Marines seem to opt for a Casio G-Shock, however there is no endorsed specific model or brand.

They needn't be expensive, just functional & robust.

Good luck to him.

crackhour

Civilian Member
Reaction score
Bloody hell Crackhour, i want some of what your earning! Im in the wrong trade, my watch cost me £14 quid from argos! *text deleted*
I dont wear a watch.. Watches are the invention of the devil, always getting you out of bed and always telling you its last orders!

I use the sun, Its not that acurate and that suits me just fine....:)

It is confirmed Stack, you are a cheap bazza.. 14 quid for a watch?

I bet its like them at seaside that you grab on one of them......'you know'...grabbers.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I dont wear a watch.. Watches are the invention of the devil, always getting you out of bed and always telling you its last orders!

I use the sun, Its not that acurate and that suits me just fine....:)

It is confirmed Stack, you are a cheap bazza.. 14 quid for a watch?

I bet its like them at seaside that you grab on one of them......'you know'...grabbers.
How do you think i afford this! *text deleted*, not by blowing my pennies....ha ha
But yes im renowed as a tight ass!

himself

Reaction score
Ive the same watch as you Stacka - solidarity! its cheap cheerful and looks all outdoorsie! - its the kind of watch a real man would wear.... if he wasnt wearing a 'Suunto X9Mi' and was looking for something cheap... and from Argus.. and something he can use and abuse with out any emotional commitment or attachment....

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
if he wasnt wearing a 'Suunto X9Mi'
I used to have this watch but returned it after a week as it was crap.

Very nice watch with nice features including sun rise and sun set times, red (night sight friendly) back light, mineral glass face etc however the GPS was useless.

I did a 2 mile test run with the GPS logger enabled - idea was I could link it into google maps and track my run. Before setting out I had to put the watch on the roof of my house for 20 mins on a clear day just to get a sat lock. I then did my 2 mile straight run and due to the piss poor signal it clocked it as a 15 mile zig-zag route with an average speed of 60 mph!

If you ignore the useless GPS it would be a great military watch but there really is no point paying £320 for a GPS watch if the GPS dont work.

I now have a Suunto Vector in black with a negative black face and I love it.

himself

Reaction score
i guess thats that of this years list for Santa... :(

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
alright lads, just found out was my mum who started this thread, bless her. haha. decided to go for the G-shock mudman good watch and found it for 44.95.

Cheers fellas

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest I could have just had a bad experience with it or had a faulty one as I know it has receive a lot of good reviews and Suunto is a good make.

For use in the military one of the most important things is that an item is reliable (which is why a cheap cheerful watch is often best) and in my opinion the X9Mi didnt cut it.

I ordered it from http://www.outdoorgb.com/ and they had no problem giving me a refund and all I told them was that it didnt meet my expectations so if you want to give it a go thats the place to get it from.

Trademark

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well my dad bought me the suunto x9i, and i think its great, got no f*text deleted**ing idea how to use the gps tho *text deleted*, it is pretty tough tho, not so good for training but great for bein out in ghaners hopefully!!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
alright lads, just found out was my mum who started this thread, bless her. haha. decided to go for the G-shock mudman good watch and found it for 44.95.

Cheers fellas
Bless!

Good old Mum's eh? Where would we be without them? (Late, probably).

Nice one Matt's Mum.

Generally when anyone asks me what watch to get when they join the Navy I just tell them to buy a cheap & nasty one like my missus bought me for Chrimbo - that way, if it gets smashed, you don't care. You'd be amazed how many Mum's give me daggers for saying that.

TizerHead

Reaction score
Watches

Hi guys

Slightly random question here but im needing a good watch for training at home and i think once you start training down @ lympstone you need a half decent watch anyway.

So really what im wondering is, does anyone has any recomendations for a good watch and how much should i be looking to spend

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :laugh:

Ive been told to look at G-shock and spend around ?30-?50 :noob:

Nutty

Former RM - 9 Years
Reaction score
You've had some good advice.
Loads of guys give them the thumbs up.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi mate,

After having a few expensive Timex Ironman watches fall apart, I followed the advice to try a Casio G shock.

I found Ebay was very good, and got a new one +?30 cheaper than I could find from any other store.

So far it has been great and I would recommend it! Remember to give ebay a shot for price comparison.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I had a G-Shock for xmas. Stopwatch, waterproof and shockproof. All you need really.

If you have about ?400-500, you could always search 'special forces watches' on google :eek: