Water

S

Sotiris

Anyone have any idea what all the swimming and water competency training is kept so quiet?

There's nothing on this site about any of it.

Is that because it's all pretty basic stuff and not worth worrying about or are we all more focused on the dry phys?

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't say its kept quite but the swim test on PRMC is pretty basic, literally jump in and swim a length breaststroke, which might be why not much is mentioned

During training it is progressive and any weak swimmers will be given extra training to be brought up to standard in time for the BST (Battle Swimming Test).

The BST involves jumping off the diving board in CS95 shirt and trousers with webbing and rifle, then swimming just under two lengths, then handing the rifle and webbing to someone at the side (without touching the side) and finally treading water for around 2 minutes.

There are a few youtube videos which might give you a better idea. This is probably the best one.

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
that looks cool, not impossible though. can't wait to get my speedo's on! i got kicked out of a kids pools once because the S fell of my speedo shorts. :weird:

LastMan

Reaction score
Did anyone ever see that dirty sanchez episode were they got pancho to dive into the pool wearing webbing.
The poor *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** nearly drowned, and the marines realy took there time to get him out the water. Funny as *text deleted**text deleted* though.

big-jim

Reaction score
am not really a big fan of tight speedos (personally i think they are gay) haha

do u have to wear them or can u bing swimming shorts?

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
During training you can only wear 'speedo' style swimming pants.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
that looks cool, not impossible though. can't wait to get my speedo's on! i got kicked out of a kids pools once because the S fell of my speedo shorts. :weird:
ROFL. And ye the test looks really easy.. to easy if u ask me but i am a VERY strong swimmer was made to do swiming lessons when i was younger

noveldex

Reaction score
ROFL. And ye the test looks really easy.. to easy if u ask me but i am a VERY strong swimmer was made to do swiming lessons when i was younger
same here mate... and forced to do lifeguard training... i hated my mum for it but now it will be the easiest jolly in the pool!

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
As a kid, I spent more of my summer in and under water than I did on dry land. Looking forward to the swimming part. Though I'm going to have to get used to breast-stroke. Never really swam it before. Front crawl is faster and i'm impatient.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the lack of swimming competency needed.

Been training for it though, started a month or 2 ago couldn't do 3 lengths, done 40 today(breaststroke) Baallin.:laugh:

Not looking forward to the pool there though, not a fan of deep water but im sure i'll be fine.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the lack of swimming competency needed.
I think they take the view that they can teach correct technique and you dont need to be mega fit to swim well.

Anyone passing PRMC should be physically fit enough to swim to a decent standard and as long as they are not afraid of water, or a complete brick, the rest cant be taught.

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi fellas, I haven't posted on here for a while but I saw this thread and thought i'd shed some light as as I spent 9 weeks in 947 troop so i have experienced a fair few swim sessions down there.

Swim sessions were normally an hour long comprising of different activities such as swimming widths back and fourth in pairs where 1 person is standing whilest the other swims a width and back at full speed then the next person goes repeating this 10-20 times, sometimes you will be told to do it under water, next theres treading water in small groups forming a circle having to pass a rifle above your head to the next person and normaly the PTI's add 2-3 rifles into a group of 15 or they would get the whole troop treading water whilest having to keep both arms up in the air wich is quite exhausting after a while, swimming upto 10-15 lengths doing different strokes, also they can get you all lined up in the water holding onto the sides waiting for the PTI's instruction to lift yours up and out the water then back down repeating this for aprox 5-10mins, they also introduced you to wearing cs95 combat trousers then your shirts then a webbing then rifle so they won't make you wear it all at once straight away *text deleted*.

The weak swimmers are split up from the troop and have sessions in the shallow end instead and are then put back with the troop once they become a stronger swimmer.

Swim sessions can be fun but they can also be turned into a very hard tiring 'extra phys' as i experienced but it was still great fun but deffinately don't underestamate it.

hope this helps and if anyone has anymore questions then please do ask

cheers

Macca

S

Sotiris

That's brilliant Macca, thanks a lot. Shed some light on a very little discussed topic.

If you don't mind me asking, what happened? How come you left?

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
no problem sotiris, the reason i left wasn't because i didn't like it down there as the lads in my troop were brilliant the training team were good and the things we got to do were tough but great fun, i just basically decided that i needed abit more life experience as i was only 18, i know you get people aged 16-17 down there but different people have different preferences, so instead *text deleted* been doing an intensive outdoor activity instructor training course wich i will be finishing in april next year and after *text deleted* passed this course i plan on getting myself back down to CTC and having another crack at getting that green lid.

Smith.m

Reaction score
only determination if you have something your ashamed of, keep in mind that the shower facilities in the barracks arent individual cubicles so ....
plus it just helps with streamlining the body , if the trunk are tight in to the body then there is less drag , whereas with swimming shorts seen today ( down to the knees etc ) they slow you down when in the water and in some cases can decrease maneouvirability

yours
matt

p.s i have a pair of speedo shorts at the moment which are the same as the trunks but in a boxer short style , would these be okay as i find them more comfortable than the trunks.

Babybell

Reaction score
Its not so much having something to be ashamed of (Well Im happy with what I got and there isant much I can do about it even if i did. So I guess I'll have to put up with the s*text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*ing) Im also used to showering/changing with other people.

I just hate wearing breifs.