Week 26 Med Discharge Rejoin

Tomo1992

Reaction score
Good evening all,

How is everyone? I have come searching for some answers and I am hoping some of you guys can help me out. I started recruit training back in 2012 and got to week 26 but unfortunately I was medically discharged due to coming off final Ex with an avulsion ankle fracture and ended up having ankle reconstruction.

I had the Evans Tenodesis reconstruction surgery to repair the ATFL ligament. There was no metalwork or pins put in place. I went to my MBOS interview and was discharged on the grounds that I could potentially rejoin after 24 months if I could prove that I am capable of undertaking training similar to recruit training. I was told that I would be asked for a training diary, written evidence from a medical professional and all that good stuff. I am not sure what category I was discharged under (P8 etc).

Having made a full recover some time ago now I have been training hard as I had previously but sticking some long weighted walks in to show I am able to carry weight with no dramas. I have had days out walking in Wales and Scotland and my ankle is medically sound. I have had zero problems for years with it now.

I always knew that I would rejoin and I have recently submitted my application and spoken to the AFCO. My injury doesn't bar me from entry however I do understand its going to get a good look at by a medical expert. The AFCO have said I need to sign and give permission for my previous records to be released so they can be reviewed however they said if the Navy say no then that's final with no appeal procedure? Is this correct even though my injury doesn't bar me from entry?

I was awarded a diamond at week 26 and have got good character references from my troop Cpl and Sgt which recommend me to be able to rejoin. I understand this isn't going to help me medically but I thought every little helps right?

Cheers lads

Tomo

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As long as your medical condition is not an outright bar to entry, you are not in receipt of a medical pension/nor received a compensation award, your GP can demonstrate there have been no related problems and you have a rigorous training diary of a similar intensity and duration to recruit training, you'll hopefully be OK.

Tomo1992

Reaction score
Fingers crossed it all goes well. Thank you for your help and quick reply Ninja!

Tomo1992

Reaction score
Ninja sorry to jump back on this but I was just wondering next week I have to go and sign to give permission for my previous records to be released so they can be looked at before I move on with the application process. Is it at this point the appeal procedure comes in to place?