Week 3 Med Discharge

Clumsy

Reaction score
Morning fellas. As the title says I've recently been told I'm getting medically discharged. I'm still at Lympschwitz doing my discharge routine so got stacks of free time to answer any questions on the early stages of training while it's fresh in my mind.

In the meantime, some words of wisdom for those who follow. Learn from my mistakes... Phys is very important. Do exactly what's recommended on here, Arnys plan or Sean Lewrils plans good to. I did a mix of the two and turned up one of the fittest lads in the troop. 12.2 vo2 max, 54 press ups, 85 sit ups, 16 pull ups, 8 28 BFT. Not bad right? Not bad at all. But am I going to get a green lid? No. My point is there's a lot more to it than that. The reason I got med discharged is because I *text deleted*ed myself up in foundation. Each night I slept on average 0-1 hour. Why? I was slow at ironing, slow at washing my clothes, slow at global laurelling etc. You get the picture. Everything took me a lot longer than everyone else. Come morning the whole locker would be thrown out by our DL and I'd start again in the evening. Another mistake I made was I'd over-thinking everything. I mean everything. That's not healthy either. Unfortunately when in such a *text deleted* state I wasn't aware of these mistakes I was making. So all I recommend you do is be aware of them and avoid them.

Clumsy

Reaction score
Only worry about the things you can change. You'll have a lecture on this in week 3

Clumsy

Reaction score
Some books to recommend to read in a lecture. Quote from the staff member "if I had it my way any time someone walked into the AFCO and said I want to join the marines I'd get them to read this" THE OBSTACLE IS THE WAY

Clumsy

Reaction score
The ego is the enemy
The chimp paradox

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that young man. Myself and others on here constantly post about learning personal admin before pitching up at CTC. Your unfortunate circumstances highlight this.

I have just posted to another user, who has recently passed PRMC about this very subject and hopefully he will read and take on board this.

Once again, my commiserations.

Alan

Chelonian

Reaction score
Morning fellas. As the title says I've recently been told I'm getting medically discharged.

A massive disappointment for you but undoubtedly your experiences even thus far will benefit you in the future. The world remains your lobster. Very best of luck.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the circumstances, I know it's difficult to take positives when you are in a dark place, but you got further than the vast majority of Royal Marines aspirants, most don't get that far.

I've certainly heard of the coaching and mentoring aspect with regard circles of influence and focusing on the things you can change, rather than the things that you cannot.

At the point of departure, the prospect of rejoining may be a remote consideration, but hopefully once the dust settles, the category of medical discharge does not permanently prevent re-entry.

Obviously, you ticked the boxes physically but as many realise during Foundation, it's the basic admin skills which can knock people flat and the circle of tiredness and frustration can amplify the stress immeasurably.

As a matter of interest, how old are you and do you think practising ironing, washing etc., prior to joining would have prevented your situation or were there outside influences beyond your control?

Clumsy

Reaction score
First of all thank you @Chelonian and @Caversham @Ninja_Stoker

I may not of got the result I was after. But I've learned more valuable lessons in my short time at Lympstone than I did during my entire education. Without sounding mega cheesey training for selection and joining changed my life. I went from smoking, drinking most days and other weird and wonderful hobbies to training hard with purpose in life.

As a matter of interest, how old are you and do you think practising ironing, washing etc., prior to joining would have prevented your situation or were there outside influences beyond your control?
I'm 18 years old. I always washed my stuff and ironed before coming down. Most the time I live alone with my sister. I went wrong by trying to make everything too perfect. When you try to do that, a lot of the time nothing ends up perfect and half of its unfinished. I completely over thought everything.

Clumsy

Reaction score
Another problem was I'm a very very slow learner. As you know the learning curve at Lympstones vertical. I fell of it immediately.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Absolutely gutted for you @Clumsy as a matter of interest, are there any options for you to stay at CTC? Or have you been told outright your getting MD'd?

The reason I ask, is that a few lads who get injured whilst in the early stages of RT get told they'd be better off leaving, to return when a bit older?

Just be careful, that If you still have aspirations to become a Royal Marines Commando, that your thought process now, doesn't affect your future.

All the very best!!

Carper94

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
May I ask what the MD is for? How did having no sleep get you md'd?

Clumsy

Reaction score
Absolutely gutted for you @Clumsy as a matter of interest, are there any options for you to stay at CTC? Or have you been told outright your getting MD'd?

The reason I ask, is that a few lads who get injured whilst in the early stages of RT get told they'd be better off leaving, to return when a bit older?

Just be careful, that If you still have aspirations to become a Royal Marines Commando, that your thought process now, doesn't affect your future.

All the very best!!
Cheers Arny

Out right MD'd unfortunately but I can re join when I'm older. 23-25 they reckon is a good age. For now I'll keep up the phys. Probably going to either get into boxing or triathlons. Pick up a trade and then in the future when I'm allowed go RMR or depending on my commitments at the time maybe even full time

Clumsy

Reaction score
May I ask what the MD is for? How did having no sleep get you md'd?
Sure no worries. Sleep deprivation got so bad it drove me into a psychotic state. Hallucinating, getting very blurred vision and weapons drills don't go together very well

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Cheers Arny

Out right MD'd unfortunately but I can re join when I'm older. 23-25 they reckon is a good age. For now I'll keep up the phys. Probably going to either get into boxing or triathlons. Pick up a trade and then in the future when I'm allowed go RMR or depending on my commitments at the time maybe even full time
Good luck to you mate!! Hold your head high in the fact that leaving is not your decision!! Re- assess at a later date, and maybe re join.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Youch, I doubt anything can prepare you for the lack of sleep and the way it affects the individual. The circle of sleep loss and being a perfectionist would, perhaps understandably become all-consuming.

Main thing is, you are OK - your own good health and wellbeing overiddes all else. My son (19) can sleep for Britain, whereas I can get by on 3 hours, so I can fully understand the effect it can have.

In a different century, aged 19, I was on a ship that got badly damaged and we worked solid for 40 or more hours - to this day I swear I halucinated and had an out of body experience, such was the stress and fatigue brought-on all the more by the shock of the combat experience. A heady mix of emotions and one which had a profound and long standing effect for a few years, if I'm honest.

I wish you well.

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sure no worries. Sleep deprivation got so bad it drove me into a psychotic state. Hallucinating, getting very blurred vision and weapons drills don't go together very well

Wouldn’t you have been sent to hunter or was it a straight Discharge?

Bit of an eye opener this anyways, I’m terrible with admin so a massive thankyou for sharing that. Good luck in the mean time mate.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this fella I can’t understand how gutting a situation it would feel to get this far and it be out your own hands due to a medical reason.

It’s easier from a standpoint for people to look in and not realise it’s so much more than fitness and seen how important the admin is and why it would get to anyone especially the lack of sleep side of things.

Don’t give up tho! Have you been given a timeframe when you can re apply or in the future?

Good luck with everything

Pendo

Reaction score
Was you the only person on 1 hours sleep or was the whole troop? Bit snide if none of the other lads who were abit quicker weren't helping you out