Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.
  1. Wings

Wings Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    We got weekends off, lost a lot for as you can guess silly reasons just too take them away but the bits ive seen of Marines doesnt look like they really get weekends home?

But if it is too stop blokes quitting I could see why after christmas leave we were low on numbers and we had a lot transfer almost got malgimated

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Is it really that bad? Yes, probably worse. Foundation is all about the transition from a civvy to a serviceman. Learning how to wash clothes and then iron them to an exact standard helps. Forget about blagging the TT and trying to get away with things, it doesn’t work. It really is a test of character, which many underestimate.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  3. MEfan19

MEfan19 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    The Corporal noticed my hesitation to say yes when he asked whether I was excited about starting training at the end of my PRMC. Stories about phase 1 was the reason why.
    ...I need to get a lot better at ironing.

Thanks for the reply.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

And basic map reading. The first few lessons on map reading will be done in classrooms where tiredness takes over and attention to what is being taught slips. Fast forward to navigation exercises on the Common and Dartmoor where what should have been taught in the early weeks means getting lost and at worse, being back trooped because of a criteria fail. Plenty of links on here for learning the basics.

The seven Ps spring to mind.

Alan

5. MEfan19

MEfan19 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll maybe take another look at those vids on the Marine YT channel.
    Just while I'm here are there any other major pitfalls of phase 1 I should prepare myself for?

6. Bigboots

Bigboots Active Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Yeah, foundation was pretty tough going. It's literally nonstop for two weeks and you think you've done a great job at cleaning to be told it's nowhere near the required standard so you get beasted and made to do it again. Theres alot of admin but it's manageable, i could finish by midnight most nights but then we weren't aloud to go to bed until the last man had finished so if you're good you just end up doing jack peoples work until 3am. You just need to finish a job completely before you start another, that's the best advice I can give you. Make a plan before you start your admin then stick to it and if you get five minutes spare at all, fill that five minutes with admin, it all helps. Don't do anything you're not told to do and act as if someone is watching you the whole time because they often are and you don't even realise. Give 100% effort at all times and keep a lid on your frustrations and just Plough through it. The last three weeks has flown by

• Like Like x 9
  7. MEfan19

MEfan19 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Is there much point practicing say marching?

Also what's the phys like?

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Ironing definitely. Getting-up early, yes.

Marching, no.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bigboots

Bigboots Active Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    No don't practice marching they teach you right from the beginning. Just your ironing and train your mind so you never put off any chores, you crack them straight away. The phys can be pretty intense and you never know when you're going to get some extra phys. Sprints, hill sprints and 800m best effort runs is what you want to be practicing. Train your upper body the same as you would for prmc.

10. Bigboots

Bigboots Active Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Also if you're weak in the pool then work on that. Some people fear the swim sessions and the troop describe it as a controlled drowning session. But if you're OK in the water they're quite enjoyable.

• Like Like x 3
  11. MEfan19

MEfan19 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    They didn't use the front crawl much in the pool did they?

12. Bigboots

Bigboots Active Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Yeah we've used front crawl

13. TheRents

TheRents Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    If you are worried about front crawl get some practice in.

You don't want to start RT worrying about it. If you can get some lessons

All the best

14. MEfan19

MEfan19 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I do need to practice it more. I'm more of a breast stroke kind of guy. My front crawl just needs work.

15. TheRents

TheRents Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    You are obviously very fit, so it is just technique.

If nothing else look for some clips on youtube and go practice. Swimming is about efficiency of stroke. Don't windmill like crazy, try and keep your strokes long to gain max pull for min effort!.

Think of it as grabbing handfuls of water and pushing them behind you in a smooth way.

As I said the very best of luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. MEfan19

MEfan19 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to make these replies guys! This has all been very useful stuff and will hopefully save me doing a few press ups.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bigboots

Bigboots Active Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    You're doing pressups either way pal. I must have done a couple of thousand in the last few weeks. So smash them out too.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JWJ

JWJ Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Personally, foundation wasn’t that bad. It helps when you have a good troop (we all passed the final inspection first time and impressed). Even though I was getting less sleep than most in my troop, you’re well rested as it’s the first two or so weeks of training and you haven’t got any injuries etc.

For me, weeks 4-6 were far far worse

• Like Like x 1
  19. kb73

kb73 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Bigboots
    Well done on getting to this point. Think you must be in the same troop as my nod 285)
    Enjoy your leave and good luck for when you go back

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. LB98

LB98 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I’m in your troop pal, trying to work out who you are -banghead-