Week 4 Families day Para training

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by aliB, Oct 7, 2017.

1. aliB

aliB Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Week 10 end Adventure training
    Well well well, week 10 double didgets.
    The week
    - First thing 8 mile tab almost P company pace was really tough first two miles we made 2 mistakes on last man drills so we were going to get thrashed but because majority stayed on we got a good job and ended it there. Few lads came off the tab.
    Rest of the week adventure training a week of kayaking rock climbing caving etc.
    Was going good till some lads as per messed it up and now we are due a bit of extra phys and prehaps losing a weekend out of our week off. Will be very gutted if we lose the weekend for a few lads breaking rank

New troop has started so no longer the new platoon.
    We are at 23 originals out of 52

• Like Like x 6
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Good man! Another week done. Steer clear of injury and you'll be fine. No doubt about it.

Times change. In the mid-1970s we passed off the square at the end of week five and wore maroon berets from that point on. No green badge backing in those days either. Although the Junior Parachute Company wore a pale blue badge backing on their berets. The little hooligans.

As soon as we were permitted to wear berets everyone headed off to Victor's—which was a military tailor in Aldershot—to buy a beret with a silk lining which was better quality and could be shaped well. Only the Depot RSM wore an issue beret. No surprises there. Oh, and a Victor's beret came with a neat beret bow correctly and firmly attached if one paid an extra 50p. Probably about five quid in today's money!

• Like Like x 1
  3. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

Good effort mate.

Keep biting down and pushing on.

Everything comes to an end.

4. aliB

aliB Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Quick update
    Had week off came back day 2 back morale is very low in platoon and myself missing my partner and child like crazy but as ive read on here happens after each leave.
    Really gutted we lost our first weekend back to do tactical exercise 1 then next week we believe we have intro to the log race and stretcher race.
    First time since week 2 I felt like leaving yesterday. I wrote a list of why I am here and why I quit regular street jobs. Ill keep going

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

Just keep on going. All this will seem insignificant in time and you’ll wonder why you ever considered leaving.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

As above from Dhobi. And in only a few short weeks you'll get Christmas leave!

My tip for the log and stretcher races: they're both team events but individual performance is closely monitored. Psych yourselves up and keep each other motivated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. aliB

aliB Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Itll be as it is horrible but its doable had a big extra phys session because 4 lads were 10 minutes late. Amazing still happening

8. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    10 minutes lmaaaaooooo now that is jack... enjoy the phys embrace the pain :D

who would have thought that soap socks and the night time could all go together so nicely?:D:D:D
    that is a joke. however grip em

• Like Like x 1
  9. aliB

aliB Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Week 11 end.
    Had for the rest of the week a good few extra phys corridor sessions.
    Mainly battle casualty drill lessons LMG lessons and handling test. Lessons on trip flares and map reading
    Set off on tac 1 on friday came back today. Safe to say we felt the cold a lot. It wasnt particularly a hard exercise but the cold made it very tough especially high winds. Was compromised of section attacks and a big platoon attack at the end.
    I enjoyed this more as it was less on learning and getting extra phys for morning inspection. We were left to our own device had no inspections more soldiering.
    We did 2 casualty evacuations they were solid to say the least.
    Did a 6 mile very quick tab back in battle gear around 9 lads stayed to the front in 3 ranks including me the rest were disperssed back about 20 of them I was around 10 m from front pack getting to the end there was 6 up front and a lot behind me I had no food as we had to get up early for platoon attack . It was faster than p company pace but less weight so.
    Next week is end of daor period on the 8th so will be interesting see the added extra phys sessions we will get

• Like Like x 5
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  10. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

You are doing great!! Keep on keeping on. Fantastic to see your weekly updates. Good luck to you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  11. aliB

aliB Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Thank you. Week 12 intro to log stretcher night ranges also ITV are filming para training i believe a reservist unit. I want them to film me

• Like Like x 1
  12. robbo09

robbo09 Member

They tend to only film the good looking people mate :D

Interesting to hear though, assuming they’re following 4 Para from what you’ve said, which’ll probably be about right as they have P Company around the end of the year from what I gather.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  13. aliB

aliB Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Did log and stretcher today 1 mile on log only 1.8 in real test did 2 mile stretcher straight after.
    Our whole platoon is in rag from constant phys so I thought we would crumble. We did the log race first. It was hard but for me casualty evacuations are much worse. I was front man and did fine we had least guys on log with 6 . Stretcher race was a lot tougher it rags your shoulder even though you swap with team behind you at intervals.
    We lost 8 to the log 1 to stretcher
    I honestly thought id crumble instead Sir pulled me over said I showed great leadership and motivation so I'm very happy makes you think you can actually pass these events :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Brilliant news, try and maximise your rest at every single opportunity!! An extra hour at this level of fatigue can be a big difference.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

Get in your pit and get your head down whenever you can mate. Honestly your body only recovers when you’re asleep and I sweared by it and I’m convinced it really help to reduce the chance of an injury. Keep stretching as well as the PTIs always told us the majority of injuries are from a lack of flexibility in the lower limbs.

5 minutes 3x a week is better then none. :D

Good luck for the rest of it, just keep hanging in there. Always tell yourself there’s always someone worst of then me and trust me there is.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  16. aliB

aliB Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Been doing my best get as much head down as possible, however almost week 13 and guess what. Certain individuals are still late almost everyday and we as a platoon are getting thrashed. Its really aggrivating. Sure its extra fitness but we are losing a lot of free time in evenings and losing fair amount of sleep because of it. We have been told get around the other lads but it isnt working. Personally I feel it should be them getting thrashed for being late not all

17. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

Try not to let it get to you. It'll happens right until you leave. In week 27 we had an incident on field firing. Only involved a couple of members of the troop involved but everyone ended up bivving up outside at Okehampton and missed out on decent hard cover.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  18. robbo09

robbo09 Member

That’s what milling is for mate ;)

Seriously though just keep a cool head with it all, it won’t be going unnoticed by the training team. But it’s all a game, 1 fails you all fail. Just go with it, play the game... then try get paired up with them for milling during P Coy :D

19. aliB

aliB Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    The guy i want wont make it p company he came off log 20 feet in and stretcher 30 feet in yet hes one of the fittest in platoon he beat my pfa other day he got 8.26 i got 9.14 he just is lazy

20. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Fitness in RT takes care of itself. Mental resilience however is a choice. You choose to give it your all. He doesn't. He may not pass. You will.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1