week 4 nod

almondsandapples

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
foundation cracked, completed week three, now on two week Easter leave.

When i get back i'll be in week four.

any questions?

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you could have improved one aspect of your Fitness before training what would it have been?

tom7

Reaction score
Did you enjoy all the injections? ;-) What has been the biggest culture shocks so far?

almondsandapples

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
How much running have you been doing and what sort of distances?
there's quite a lot of running. you have IMF lessons in the gym which usually involve camp circuits. This is done around camp, roughly 800m and you have to do it twice and complete it under a certain time. Then you're raced back into the gym to finish the gym lesson. Intense. On other days you'll just have a run outside camp as a troop down country lanes, again it's timed and you have to reach a certain time, these gradually get more intense also. On top of this, you'll be running everywhere between details and scran. Hope you like running. If not you'll soon get good at it.

almondsandapples

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you could have improved one aspect of your Fitness before training what would it have been?
I would have improved my swimming. The lessons get more intense quite quickly, from treading water with rifles, to swimming widths under water and swimming with webbing. Don't underestimate the swimming. If you're a weak swimmer. I suggest making it a priority until you start RT. It's low impact so go hard. breaststroke mainly.

almondsandapples

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Did you enjoy all the injections? ;-) What has been the biggest culture shocks so far?
haha! Those injections were horrid. I hadn't had any in the last 20 years so I was in for a right treat as eluded to by Ninja in a previous post of mine. I had 4 in a short space. The next few days your arms a throbbing and it's hard to get them over your head. Not to mention complete Phys sessions in the gym. haha. Fun.

Id say the biggest shock was the amount of information you get thrown at you, you have to retain it all. The amount of kit you become responsible for. Sleep deprivation is a real factor too. it's all for a worthy cause though. We get it done.

Deja vu

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I would have improved my swimming. The lessons get more intense quite quickly, from treading water with rifles, to swimming widths under water and swimming with webbing. Don't underestimate the swimming. If you're a weak swimmer. I suggest making it a priority until you start RT. It's low impact so go hard. breaststroke mainly.

Well done so far mate and good luck from here on out.

How many swim circuits have you had so far? And do you know how often they appear throughout training?

Kierano11

Reaction score
do you still have the S*text deleted*t shields or have they been taken off?

almondsandapples

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Well done so far mate and good luck from here on out.

How many swim circuits have you had so far? And do you know how often they appear throughout training?
Thanks! we've had 4 swim circuits so far. You can expect them at least once a week.

almondsandapples

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
do you still have the S*text deleted*t shields or have they been taken off?
those things literally shield you from *text deleted*. The beastings aren't as severe. However upon our return after leave they will be gone. so as the training team have been saying, there will be no mercy.

Carefree93

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do your training team have a bit of banter with you? Or is it all very pressurised All, the time?
Personally I think we have a great training team. As a troop we seem to be doing well (most of the time) and there is a bit of banter.

almondsandapples

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Do your training team have a bit of banter with you? Or is it all very pressurised All, the time?
training teams vary as each have their own personalities. From what i've experienced so far our training team is great. They keep you well informed and occasionally crack a joke with you, theres also a lot of playful teasing that goes on. If you're a sensitive soul i suggest developing a thick skin or lightening up. They can tell when you're working hard and when you're not, so they treat you accordingly. There will be banter but its important to respect the chain of command.

almondsandapples

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What are s*text deleted*t shields?
correct they are Lumi Tabs, a piece of luminous orange plastic that you tie around your drill lapels, center PCS shirt lapel and Smock Jacket lapel. They are a basically a sign to all others at CTC that you are the most junior troop on camp and therefore the most inexperienced.

they stay with you through foundation and into the third week.

fattyboombatty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
there's quite a lot of running. you have IMF lessons in the gym which usually involve camp circuits. This is done around camp, roughly 800m and you have to do it twice and complete it under a certain time. Then you're raced back into the gym to finish the gym lesson. Intense. On other days you'll just have a run outside camp as a troop down country lanes, again it's timed and you have to reach a certain time, these gradually get more intense also. On top of this, you'll be running everywhere between details and scran. Hope you like running. If not you'll soon get good at it.
Thanks mate.

Reason I asked is I've suffered on and off from shin splints and although I'm not planning on starting RT until they are healed up and I will need to gradually increase my running distance to avoid recurrence. If it was going to be a case of regular 5-10 milers in the first few weeks this would obviously take a bit longer to build up to that point!

I've no doubt that the training team increase running distances methodically over the weeks but just good to know what the starting point is

Kierano11

Reaction score
those things literally shield you from *text deleted**text deleted*. The beastings aren't as severe. However upon our return after leave they will be gone. so as the training team have been saying, there will be no mercy.
Roger. when you get onto quick cover and marshall, you will wish you still had them. fun times on the flank