Week 5 - questions??

Carefree93

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have a good families day?
It was a really good day. Drill and gym went really well and managed to leave base by 2pm. I imagine its even better for recruits who don't see family for 5 weeks - we had easter leave in between starting training and families day.

ChapStick

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yea when my partner had his we had families day then he came home for Christmas leave. Hope your doing well there :)

Dom2595

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How are u finding it mate? I'm guessing when u turn up there it's a bit of a shock to the system even after the prmc ? Does it just feel normal being there now ?

Xerath

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Good to see you're getting on well mate. What's been the best and worst moments so far?

Carefree93

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How are u finding it mate? I'm guessing when u turn up there it's a bit of a shock to the system even after the prmc ? Does it just feel normal being there now ?
I'll be honest - I'm finding it very tough. Then again, everyone would be in the RM if it was easy ;). I think they call it the 'shock of capture' when you arrive. Its more intense arriving for RT then it was on the PRMC. Your met at the station by your Drill Instructor, there's a cameraman and someone from your training team filming, everyone on the train watching you etc. etc. etc... A good experience looking back at it though. I would say it feels more 'normal' as each day passes, some people are more confident than others and settle in very quickly.

Carefree93

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good to see you're getting on well mate. What's been the best and worst moments so far?
Best Moments -
CQB Lanes on Exercise Quick Cover
Sleep
Weapon Handling Lessons

Worst Moments
Foundation (first 2 weeks)
Lack of Sleep
Wet and Dry
RMCC

Dom2595

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be honest - I'm finding it very tough. Then again, everyone would be in the RM if it was easy ;). I think they call it the 'shock of capture' when you arrive. Its more intense arriving for RT then it was on the PRMC. Your met at the station by your Drill Instructor, there's a cameraman and someone from your training team filming, everyone on the train watching you etc. etc. etc... A good experience looking back at it though. I would say it feels more 'normal' as each day passes, some people are more confident than others and settle in very quickly.
That's very true mate ;)! I have like 10 months because of stupid medical reasons till I can get at my prmc ! Can not wait! Would love to be in your boots right now ! A long shot hear , u don't have a plan of like the phys you were doing before you got to lympstone do u mate ??

Carefree93

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
That's very true mate ;)! I have like 10 months because of stupid medical reasons till I can get at my prmc ! Can not wait! Would love to be in your boots right now ! A long shot hear , u don't have a plan of like the phys you were doing before you got to lympstone do u mate ??
I think there is a Royal Marines Training Program on the Royal Navy website (sorry, computer is playing up). If not, keep it simple. 3/4 Bodyweight circuits a week and 3/4 runs a week (different intensity and distance). Make sure you progress each week and you are achieving max scores before PRMC.

DeskJockey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@Carefree93 congrats on reaching this far mate! anything non-physical can a recruit prepare for before RT?

Dom2595

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nice one mate , cheers and enjoy ! Hope it goes well for you ! !

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@Carefree93 congrats on reaching this far mate! anything non-physical can a recruit prepare for before RT?
I've always been told that navigation is one of the biggest problems some recruits face. I've talked to a handful of nods and they all seem to say that they wished they had practised navigational skills even if it is just going out for a walk using a map and compass. This may apply more directly to officer applicants but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt a recruit to hone in the skill.

DeskJockey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@ERFC thats a great shout! I can take a bearing on a baseplate compass, but i think they use prismatic compasses in CTC. not sure though, can somebody clarify this? @Ninja_Stoker

Mr D

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
They use a baseplate instrument along the lines of the silva expedition military,which is obviously graded in mils as opposed to degrees,though the theory is the same,learn about declination and re-sections and of course the basics such as taking, plotting and of course following bearings,also techniques such as pacing and the like, as Ninja say's freddies the man to answer this properly.

Just to add there's a great thread in the stickies section that will help anyone prior to going to CTC.