Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Week 5 - Summer leave

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by ByStrengthAndBeer, Aug 10, 2019.

1. ByStrengthAndBeer

ByStrengthAndBeer New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    How's it going!

Just finished up week 5 with Exercise quick cover and then families day. Good Start to the holidays!

Happy to answer any questions anyone has about training this far.

2. northmonkeySW

northmonkeySW Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Congrats, hope you enjoy your summer leave!

What's the group you're in training with like? Toughest thing you've done so far?

3. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Can you stay on base during these allocated leave periods with full use of gym, pool, etc? If so do you know if you still get a 'extra phys', or are left alone for the most part?

4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

CTC shuts down completely during block leave periods. Instructors and other trained ranks, including all the admin staff, all go on leave during these periods, with the exception of the MPSG, (Security staff).

No main galley or any of the other facilities are in use. The main gym with equipment is for trained ranks only at any time and I guess that the pool is also not in use, as Nods only use that for swimming sessions and not for recreation purposes.

It begs the question as to why anyone would want to stop there? If it is because you come abroad, or the north of the UK, then it's usual for Nods to "adopt" someone and take them on leave to their home.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Good grief! It's not Premier Inn or the Playboy Mansion. :)

Block leave generally requires those who do not have duty liabilities to vacate the premises. Maintenance of infrastructure often occurs during leave periods. Catering facilities might also be massively reduced.

Anyone looking for "extra phys" when everyone else is sat on a beach might consider studying for the Jesuit priesthood instead.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  6. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Cheers for the info gents.

Aye, from the North of England, and I also think one week is more than enough time spent with the parents, never mind three! Easier said before I've been in, but I'd like to be in the environment which keeps me on top of my phys. No doubt I'll change my mind after week 5 when I'm shedding a tear on the train back home to rest my weary bones.

Well you say that, but I can only imagine what goes on at CTC during during "rest" periods when someone breaks out the special brew. No doubt there'll be a few Hef's lying around in a smoking jacket with a pipe after a tough session. Not the only pipe they've been smoking that day.

I say these things in the safety of the forum and not on the day, because my favourite feature about my teeth is that they're in my mouth.

7. Caversham

If you do not wish to go home on leave, then there's nothing to stop you going into a B&B. But you will not be allowed to stay at CTC during these periods.

You will be given a phys programme by the PTIs prior to leave for you to carry out. I'm sure that you will change your mind about staying there after the first week, never mind week 5.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  8. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Was not aware this was the case. Cheers for the info!

9. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

How was quick cover?

10. JTech

JTech Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    There is a lad from our troop right now spending leave on base and no issue was made by the TT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. JTech

JTech Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Wet

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

My guess is there will be increasingly more recruits remaining at CTC over leave periods over the next year due to the fact they are resident overseas.

Often, people in the same troop "adopt" their overseas counterparts and take them home, to give a hand emptying the fridge. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. ByStrengthAndBeer

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks mate! Good to get a decent sleep haha.
    My training group is pretty varied, a lot of good lads in it though and were all becoming close mates which is good.

Not really sure about toughest as a lot of things are challenging in their own ways, One thing that challenged me the most was conducting Wet/Dry during the exercises while all my clothes were already piss wrapped haha.. 3/4am sentry duties was fun that day!

14. ByStrengthAndBeer

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Quick cover was actually really good although it was very wet. Piss wrapped for the majority of the exercise. We yomped up there to start with which was good, getting practice in early. Too many things covered to write a story about though.

The actual exercise where we conducted the firing drills was top. Using everything you have been taught about weaponry so far in one scenario. We went over CQB drills earlier on then put them into play during the exercise. Ours was running through the forrest escaping + killing enemies (Targets) to reach an evac spot.

Another thing we went over was bayonet training.. this was good. We had some scraps beforehand to raise the aggression levels then straight into it.. Think about a group of 20 lads all screaming their heads off running towards a trail of sandbags stabbing each one as they go haha. I remember seeing some civis walking their dogs during this as well

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  15. ByStrengthAndBeer

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah, there are a few lads from South Africa staying on base over the break but Caversham is right. Unless you have to stay at CTC you will be directed to leave, almost everyone is away and everything is closed down. Plus, you won't be able to do extra phys or use the gyms or anything at that while your there.. My mate that has to stay over the break says that there is still a tight curfew on going out as well.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Tip top - thank you mate

• Like Like x 1
  17. Caversham

I am surprised to hear that CTC allows people to stay over nowadays. Years ago, before MPGS, each Unit and base used to a Rear Party for all main leave periods. Ranks who volunteered, or were detailed for this, were given their leave at the end. The perks were you had access to everything and the main galley was open, with meals cooked to order, plus stacks of down time.

Not so long ago, I read on here that the main galley was not open until early evening on the day guys were returning from leave, so anyone returning early that day had to fend for themselves. Is this still the case? I can't see the catering contractors rushing to provide meals for a few guys that stay on camp. It must be like an absolute ghost town with everyone away.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Interesting to see what happens with the increased intake from, say, South Africa who might not all practically be able to fly home. No guarantee that everyone will be 'adopted' and paying for local accommodation will be a big hit on the wallet.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Claddagh

Claddagh Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My Nod is from S.A. and I have to confess, I think if he had known there was an option to stay in he would have. He is spending a little time here there and everywhere and it'll be costing him half an arm and a leg in travel.
    It is difficult for those who cannot jump on a plane backwards and forwards.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Sounds like a breakdown in comms & a bit disappointing if the overseas recruits were not informed of options available. Possibly they were - they get swamped with info & tend to remember the bits immediately relevant, rather than look further ahead.

It costs an arm & a leg for overseas recruits to get home each leave period, so I do hope a bit more consideration is given.

Years back, the Corps was very much a multi-national force but probably about a decade has passed and as the experience fades, it's a bit of a re-learning curve for everyone.