Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Week 5 - Summer leave

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by ByStrengthAndBeer, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Hopefully one of the guys currently serving there such as @Illustrious can confirm what the situation is. My belief is that CTC completely shuts down and all anyone who did stop there would have would be a bed in an empty block in a ghost town environment.

It is possible that CTC have taken on board the fact that due to travel difficulties, that guys cannot return home and now make facilities available, such as the main galley and NAAFI, for those who choose to remain, to be fed and watered.

Maybe even Claire Sharpe can help out on this one.

Alan.

2. Claddagh

Claddagh Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    It is what it is. We understood it would be a challenge because of the travel/distance constraints.
    Just part of the package

3. Claddagh

Claddagh Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Practically speaking, it would be a logistical nightmare I think to try and cater for the odd bods, especially taking into consideration that it would be a sporadic requirement

• Like Like x 1
  4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

My guess is that your Nod will be befriended and taken under the umbrella of another Nod's parents and looked after. Alternatively, as training progresses, it's not unusual for a group of guys to go to somewhere in the Med area for some European "culture". ;)

Alan

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. Lurch

Lurch Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah we were nearby on Marshall Star and could hear you all going for it, so the aggression was definitely there :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. geekchic

geekchic Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @ByStrengthAndBeer hello! Thanks for popping by and answering questions :)
    My son starts on 9th September. Are there any things you didn't pack (that were not on the kit list) that you had wish you'd known about?
    Enjoy the rest of your well earned holidays! :)

7. ByStrengthAndBeer

ByStrengthAndBeer New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    He must be buzzing, not long now! There were quite a few things that would have been beneficial, I wouldn't go crazy on taking extra items as they do check but I'll list a few of the things that would have helped me!

- Shirts and Trousers: it says take one, take - at least - 2 of each. Also my shirt had cuff links, avoid completely and go with normal buttons.
    - Distinct Large towel: Saying this because foundation is hectic and towels go missing/ get confused. Try and get one thats easily recognised and label it well.
    - Extra wooden coat hangers: we needed around 8/10. Write name in sharpie on all of them.
    - A decent steam Iron: mines packed in within week 2. He will turn into an ironing machine so spending £40 on a good iron doesn't seem too bad in the long run!
    - Washing up: Its all done hand washing and a lot of lads took powder etc go with liquid! it lasts longer, doesn't leave white stains and if it's the 3in1 then better.
    - Ironing board: if it's possible, get one beforehand but no biggie, the shop on camp sells one that will do until he can get to Exeter to grab a better one.
    - Padlocks: Id advise taking 4 key padlocks down, avoid the code/ digit padlocks. The training team can and will break into your locker if you have them, it happened to me.
    - Personal Admin: - Running around 24/7, I had the 5in1 loreal men expert which really saved the hassle when you are against the clock. One bottle for shaving, showering etc instead of having multiple.
    - Travel size: Toothpaste, shaving oil, pack of disposable razors, mirror
    - 2 flannels: Different colours

Didn't want to go to crazy on the list, everything that is required in foundation like trouser twists, sealable bags, polishing cloth etc can be bought on camp and the shop you buy them from donates to the RM charity so it's a win-win.

I would suggest starting to learn the phonetic alphabet if he doesn't already know and above all else know and recognise the ranking system it will pay dividends being able to address each trained rank correctly.

Anything else give me a shout, hope this helps.

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. geekchic

geekchic Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @ByStrengthAndBeer thank you so much for taking the time to reply :)
    If there is anything else I'll be sure to ask.
    In the meantime have a fab rest x

• Like Like x 1
  9. epicurean

epicurean New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Can anyone tell me when CTC is back open for business again please?

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Recruits return to CTCRM during Sunday 1 September 2019.

11. ByStrengthAndBeer

ByStrengthAndBeer New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    No worries at all! Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  12. epicurean

epicurean New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks, do you think that this could cause a delay to me receiving a date for my PRMC? Been waiting a week to get some feedback on dates and I realise this may be impatient of me but the whole application process has taken over 6 months already and it’s getting frustrating now

13. epicurean

epicurean New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    The amount of times I found someone else rubbing my towel between their cheeks like they were flossing their gooch. A unique towel is the best advice I think I’ve seen posted anywhere on here *text deleted*

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

PRMCs are not run while CTCRM is on Summer Leave. Also I understand that the demand for a PRMC space might fluctuate. For example, candidates might aim for dates after their own summer holidays.

Why not pop into your AFCO and ask? If you are happy that you are 'good to go' on a PRMC perhaps ask to be considered in case a cancellation arises.

15. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Just say, “*text deleted* your leave, I want a PRMC”! Now now now!
    Or words to that effect.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  16. epicurean

epicurean New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    My careers advisor emailed me on Monday morning saying he’ll let me know as soon as he has a date to give me but I haven’t heard anything since. I was just wondering if the delay was because of summer leave or if PRMC dates are done in some admin block somewhere away from CTC

17. geekchic

geekchic Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Ewwww -vomit-

18. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Now now now!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  19. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

If you don't hear from him tomorrow consider giving him a call on Monday. If he can't give you a precise date just now ask him for an approximation: September, October, November?
    Let us know how you get on.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

NOW NOW NOW!!!