Weekly workout planning help.

saltyboy7

Reaction score
Afternoon,

I’m currently trying and struggling a little bit to find a way to incorporate all my workouts into a schedule that allows me 1-2 days rest and not training the same muscles on continuous days. Without too many details the workouts included are:

4 running sessions,
4 Bodyweight workouts so pull ups,press ups, sit ups,
1 push day,
1 pull day,
1 leg day,

I understand the push and pull days aren’t really necessary but something i’ve enjoyed for years so would like to keep that aspect, running is my main weakness, and the body weight reps are pretty bang on the numbers I’m happy with for a PRMC. Also swimming isn’t included in this as i’ve always been a strong swimmer so will just be every now and again when I feel like it, any advice on training splits would be very helpful

Shaza99

Reaction score
I would deffo recommend getting rid of the push pull legs, as you don't need really that much strength and mass just makes you harder to run. I use to do a lot of weights and had to stop all that to train for this as it is just endurance pal.

Imperator13

Reaction score
Prioritise. Keep It Simple Stupid. To many lads over think their training. Why have a Bodybuilding type split? If you want to keep weights involved I’d suggest only using compound movements. Every now and then touch up on the secondary movers.

Main focus should be- running, RMFA exercises and leg endurance and strength.

Where are you in the application process?

Do weights after your Bodyweight sessions but stick to compound 5x5 or something similar. Training legs using relatively heavy weight is important post PRMC. Beforehand you just want them to never stop moving!

saltyboy7

Reaction score
I would deffo recommend getting rid of the push pull legs, as you don't need really that much strength and mass just makes you harder to run. I use to do a lot of weights and had to stop all that to train for this as it is just endurance pal.

Yeh I figured as much was just trying to hold on as it’s been a hobby for years, oh well haha. Cheers for the advice

saltyboy7

Reaction score
H
Prioritise. Keep It Simple Stupid. To many lads over think their training. Why have a Bodybuilding type split? If you want to keep weights involved I’d suggest only using compound movements. Every now and then touch up on the secondary movers.

Main focus should be- running, RMFA exercises and leg endurance and strength.

Where are you in the application process?

Do weights after your Bodyweight sessions but stick to compound 5x5 or something similar. Training legs using relatively heavy weight is important post PRMC. Beforehand you just want them to never stop moving!

Honestly the bodybuilding split is just because it’s something I love so wanted to keep it going like any hobby. But *text deleted* make sacrifices I guess, still having a few compound movements here and there will keep it interesting I reckon! I’m still doing my actual application, not back in England till August so haven’t been rushing it just like to be prepared well in advance fitness wise, Cheers for the advice very helpful!

Clumsy

Reaction score
A PTI at Lympstone recommended compound lifts. Isolation bodybuilding exercises are probably a waste of time

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Whack a Fintan circuit in there sometime, and possibly a bft every once in a while?

Imperator13

Reaction score
Yeah think I’m starting to realise that now unfortunately haha, cheers dude

I know I said compound movements are only reason to use weights however, it’s use training and you have to enjoy it otherwise you won’t be motivated to continue training. If Isolation movements work for you, do them. If you can fit them in without be overtrained or doing to much then do them if you enjoy it!

Just don’t let them take away from the priorities or hinder your progress with running press ups etc.

All the best in your app, you know what your body responds to!

Eafy

Reaction score
Would it be beneficial to undertake a double VO2 max test? Debating whether to swap out Arny's 5 miler with this - as I have never attempted it before...

*Double in the sense of aiming for best level on the first test, take a minute rest, then start the bleep test again to see how far you get?

Imperator13

Reaction score
Would it be beneficial to undertake a double VO2 max test? Debating whether to swap out Arny's 5 miler with this - as I have never attempted it before...

*Double in the sense of aiming for best level on the first test, take a minute rest, then start the bleep test again to see how far you get?

I never did a single bleep test. I always did 2 back to back, and aimed to beat my first attempt. Usually find your second attempt is better. I didn’t do it often as it’s not s much a training session as opposed to a benchmark or tester for your VO2 max. Once every couple of weeks I’d suggest.

Clumsy

Reaction score

Leading up to PRMC I only did one vo2 max test. Then I did one just before RT. I wouldn't bother doing any in your weekly training routine because they aren't that beneficial at all compared to intervals and hill sprints.