Weeks prior to starting RT

BTILC

Reaction score
Hi,

was just wondering what’s best to do in the upcoming weeks to RT. Was thinking of doing lighter fitness sessions and more swimming... anything to avoid any injuries really. I’ve been stretching every morning and night the usual stuff.
Any tips or advice?
Thanks

Geespt

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you’ve made it this far i’d keep progressing what you’ve already done! You’ll start IMF once you start RT so carry on progressing on those push ups, situps and pullups!

Keep up some running as well! Before RT i’d try run 3 times a week, one long distance run, one 1.5 mile and a return and one bleep test sometimes adding in a recovery run at about 60-70% of your normal pace, this worked for me!

Good luck!

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
Hi,

was just wondering what’s best to do in the upcoming weeks to RT. Was thinking of doing lighter fitness sessions and more swimming... anything to avoid any injuries really. I’ve been stretching every morning and night the usual stuff.
Any tips or advice?
Thanks
Exactly that. More stretching more low impact. During ROP you will be doing sub-maximal training anyway.
Focus on your mind. Get up at 0500, shower, breakfast, tidy your room, clean the bathroom, go for a run and once you have returned shower then test yourself mentally (maybe revise some Corps memorable dates and 10 VC winners).
Anything to replicate the pattern of life at CTC will help you enormously.
Keep pushing!

Last edited:

Royal2010

Reaction score
I'll also add. Do that routine I have mentioned for 1 day. Take a few days off then try it back to back. Again take a day or so off then try 3 days on the trot. Build into it until you can complete a week.
If you want to go full "Budhist monk hardcore mode" once you have built up, stay in that routine. The transition to military life from civilian will a bit more comfortable.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Just to add to the comments by @Royal2010 I'll throw in a couple of general observations about preparation prior to ROP and RT.

Adjust your mindset now
Be aware of what is going on around you and be alert.
Don't wait until you get to CTCRM. In the military this is known as being 'switched on'.
The opposite is to dawdle along through the day with brain in neutral gear, assuming that everything will magically sort itself out; it won't.

Partners
Don't just flounce off to 'live the dream'.
Get a grip and communicate with partners. If you are in constant contact via mobile devices tell them that it is normal for comms to be very sparse in the earliest weeks of RT. I'm guessing that the same apples to ROP.

I'm not suggesting this just because I'm a new age, empathy-medal-winner. If partners do not have an understanding of how limited contact might initially be it can lead to dramas. Not good for either of you. Don't be the person who quits ROP or RT because of their partner's tears only to find that the partner already moved out before you got onto the train home.
In other words... get a grip of your personal admin at home.

For the avoidance of doubt this doesn't mean bin your partner; just communicate and get stuff squared away. If she or he wants support tell them to ask to join the Parent & Partner sub-forum here. It's a partner friendly space and they will be made welcome. Believe it or not, many partners at home are relieved to learn that's it's not only their own partner who hasn't called home for a week due to dhobi exhaustion.
Additionally there are resources on the P&P sub-forum produced by CTCRM specifically to inform Parents & Partners.

Royal2010

Reaction score
Completely agree with the above!

The general SOP with troops is the recruits getting their mobiles back at a late time to ensure their admin has been done (for example 22:30) and returned around 23:00. Tight windows so make the most of it!