gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
they definately have them in fitness first, not sure where they got em though

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That's a lot of money for one of them!

Better option would be to put a bin bag full of sand in a cheap kit bag and Bob's your uncle!

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
They are called power bags over here

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a low-cost solution:

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Very expensive!

As above, just search 'homemade sandbags' and you'll have plenty of results, and also the satisfaction of using a piece of equipment that you constructed!

Plus 10kg is a bit light and the weight is not adjustable.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, as VTomasi says, 10kg is light. In fact, it's absolutely nothing.

You'd be surprised at how much weight you can lift when it's in a bag like that. At a push, I can shoulder about 175lbs and I'm relatively weak in comparison to a lot of other potential RMs!

Baron

Reaction score
As JB said, make your own.

If you can't/wont, then BeaverFit are a good, albeit expensive option.

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Find a cheap empty punch bag, and fill it with sand. That's all that looks like it is realy, and you can get punch bags for about ?20 new. Can't see why it won't work.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Find a cheap empty punch bag, and fill it with sand. That's all that looks like it is realy, and you can get punch bags for about ?20 new. Can't see why it won't work.
Punch bags are pretty hefty already, just get sone straps on one!!

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I just ment an empty one, alot don't always come prefilled.
You also can't simply fill a punch bag with sand, that would be extremely heavy.

It depends what you want it for. I made a nicely padded out 20kg bag because I want it to should for hill sprints, throws and such.

If you want to practices carries, you need a much heavier one. But you don't actually need to practice carries much and when you do, just ask a mate.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 5ft canvas punch bag that I took the mounting chains off and use for the sort of stufff you are saying. It seems to have been stuffed with material scraps (scrap clothes etc) and I poured a little bit of dry sand into the plastic sheath that contains the filler. Moves around a little inside but not badly, fine for short hill runs. Have not sewn straps to it yet, though good idea.

Edit: I also used to throw it on a tarpulin and rope it up and drag it. Good fun, beasts your legs.

Mine weighs in at around 35kg. Pleanty heavy enough!!

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
whats wrong with just getting a couple of bags of sand/cement, and taping them together with duct tape? does it need to have handles?

Ash987

Reaction score
Lot's of great ideas thanks fella's.

Used to use these bags (10 & 15kg ones) at a pre services fitness class I used to attend and really liked them for hill sprints etc. Might have a crack at making some myself, seeing as they are bloody expensive!

Also anyone ever got into using kettlebells? I recently brought one (16kg) and it's great, although some exercises seem really easy so think I need to invest in a heavier one...keep spending all this money though, not good!

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
whats wrong with just getting a couple of bags of sand/cement, and taping them together with duct tape? does it need to have handles?
Nothing at all, most people just use what they have lying around. Its what I did with am un-used punch bag.

Got bags of cement . . . . . . use them.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
For throwing about that's great, but handles are nice when you want to do throw in some clean and press and such exercises

Ash987

Reaction score
Never realised they were called "Power Bags", that'll be why I couldn't find them on Google...hence this thread *text deleted**!