Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Weight issues

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by slayer9989, Apr 2, 2012.

1. slayer9989

slayer9989 Member

Hi every one

on the application process
    done RT and Eye test and all the forms alls good but *text deleted* got my medial in 2is weeks 13/4/12 and im under weight....

i currently weigh 63.9kg and as you can see i don't cut the 65 or above... i have always had this sort of problem all my life in that i will eat lods around 2000-3000 calories a day and then sit around and still no weight gain some call it a gift and it is.... in-till you NEED to put weight on been the same weight now for nearly 3 years and im 19 :S

i take protein shakes twice a day to help with training but still hardly any weight gain. *text deleted* been given some muscle mass builder by a friend but i don't think it will have effect in time...

not sure what else to do besides down a few leiters of water and hope it dosent take to long and put the weight on before PRMC

any advice much appreciated

Josh

2. JAB-RM

JAB-RM Well-Known Member

2000-3000 calories a day might not be enough depending on how much your training, there is a few lads on here who will soon be along too offer diet advice which they are very good at giving, I was 52kg in all my baggy school clothes and 5 foot 7 when I first applied and now I'm 73kg and still the same height so it can be done it just takes some diet adjustments, food is fuel!

3. jamie_82

jamie_82 Well-Known Member

What the !!??
    I had no idea there was minimum weight limit!? I've lost 3 stone over the last 3 years due to stress from ex's and work etc. Im currently 9 stone which is about 56kg's so that puts me 9kg under weight!
    Does this rule apply for RMR's or just the regulars?
    Before i decided to apply for the RMR's i was just getting back down the gym to put the muscle back on but i changed that tactic last week to do 80% cardio instead for the RMR's.
    Now my work load has just litteraly doubled if im going to make it!! :(
    :eek:

4. jamie_82

Just re-read your post.....im surprised nobody mentioned this before you started any of the process?
    Either way you're only 1.1kg under weight which isn't much mate. Even for an ectomorph (a hard gainer) like yourself.
    I'm the same mate. It took me 4 years down the gym to put 2 stone on! Ate everything i could, drunk weight gainers and protien shakes etc.
    1.1KG is not another world away though mate. It may be hard to keep it but you can definately put it on over the next 2 weeks by eating dirty. Try and cut as much salt out of your diet as possible. You don't want that drinking up water supplies in and around your muscles.
    When i say dirty i mean stuff with lots of grease in it like dominos pizza or McDonalds. Fast food like that are harder to digest so it stays in you longer.
    Really make an effort to get THREE weight gainers in you a day! They are very worth it mate!
    Favour red meat over white meat for the next 2 weeks. Steaks contain creatine and again take longer to digest than white meats.
    I can give you plenty of idea but to be honest you're just going to have to gorge on red meat, weight gainers and fast foods.
    Obviosly thats not a good diet but it's only for the next 2 weeks to make the grade!!
    You will have to work a little harder for the following 2 weeks to burn off all the extra fat. Which should turn into muscle providing your training regime is spot on.
    It all depends how much you want it mate! Good luck and let us know how you get on!
    Jay.

5. gym beast

gym beast Valuable Contributor

big meal straight before medical is probably your best plan

6. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

dont poo for a fortnight!

7. VTomasi

VTomasi Venerated Contributor

1.1kg away? He wrote, correctly, that he is 9kg underweight. That's a fair amount of weight he needs to put on, completely impossible in 2 weeks.

8. OneMoreWrap

OneMoreWrap Venerated Contributor

He was referring to the thread originator who is 1.1kg underweight.
    I weigh between 71 and 74 throughout the day depending on the time and events. A big dinner and breakfast before medical should tip you onto the good side of 65kg

9. jamie_82

haha no. You're quoting the first post the I made about myself, not the orginal poster :)
    He said he weighs 63.9kg and that he needed to be 65kg and above. :)

10. OneMoreWrap

OneMoreWrap Venerated Contributor

We get there in the end! :amuse:

11. slayer9989

slayer9989 Member

cool as guys thats a great help probably going to have a big meal then weigh my self before going out and ordering a lod of take out *text deleted**

perants are vegetarian which messes up the whoe red meat bit but i will defently get some in me

just paniked a bit as the guys at the office said they were doing medicals in a month + time wich would be plenty of time but of corese got given one sooner rather then latter whtch is BRILL but just a little under perpared for it *text deleted**

once again thanks for the advice and ill let you know who i go :D

12. slayer9989

slayer9989 Member

ok guys back and after a failed medical :(

totaly gutted failed on the weight like i thought i would

but the silver lining is that everything else is ok and i got 6ish weeks to put the weight on and been told but the crears officer to cut the running down to 2 times a week and just work on strenght witch is a god send really as my running was always very good but pushups and pull ups were sort of lacking

so alot of heavy weights training

going to hit the shoulders and legs the most (shoulder press, arnold press, and lots of squats and duck walking i think)

*hits floor in pain at memory of the last duck walk* :/

13. Grimmey

Grimmey Venerated Contributor

Sorry about your medical.

Try to consume alot more carbs, even if your eating alot eat more, eat like 4000 calories if you have to. Good carbs to eat are whole grain breads, whole grain pasta and oats. Things like flap jack are good as well. Try and drink milk as well as some people reccomend it.

Try to avoid bad fatty foods like take aways(anything high in saturates) as you'll run the risk of getting body fat and you don't want to spend your time getting rid of that after trying to put weight on.

i've always been on the opposite end of the scale so i can only give so much advice.

Mother Google is always there to provide her input if you find you need more examples of weight gaining foods.

Good luck

14. Digerydog

Digerydog Member

you need to be doing a load of compound exercises, movements which use the whole body. look at doing clean and jerks (just make sure technique is right) clean and jerk exercise uses lower back, trapz, shoulders, bi's and tri's, it's awesome to use in training.

15. Bohdan

Bohdan Active Member

Try using a weight gain I highly recommend it, it worked wonders for me. When I first applied I was about 64kg, then bought the USN Hyperbolic mass and focused on my weight training and put a good amount of weight on. I was struggling like mad to put the weight on but a good diet and this helped loads.
    2 of them shakes a day adds up to an extra 1113 callories (w/water), 50g of protein and 220g of carbs and the rest. then with milk which I nicer gives you that bit of extra callories ect.
    It's expensive but I think it's defininatly worth it, good luck

16. jamie_82

You failed!? Mate i struggle big time to put weight on but even i could manage 1kg! Especially if it was for something as important as this!
    All you had to do before the medical was drink a litre of water! 1 litre of water weighs 1kg!
    Did you not think to just eat and drink lots on the day of the test? It's only 1kg. Bad effort mate. Yoou clearly don't want it that much?

17. Chrisswan

Chrisswan Valuable Contributor

Jamie no offence mate but you cant say how he didn't want it, clearly he tried to put the weight on but just didn't do it

18. jamie_82

Sorry if i was harsh then mate. But he only had to drink a litre of water to put on 1kg........

19. JAB-RM

JAB-RM Well-Known Member

Then he goes too the toilet and flushes that 1kg of water out putting him back too where he started, good advice.

20. Dan Felix

Dan Felix Well-Known Member

With regards to weight gain mate... as Grimmey, Im the other end of the scale...however find it easy, with the right diet to drop like hell.
    Don't go silly with any "poor quality" foods...as previously mentioned... but work out (roughly) what your body needs.. There are plenty of apps and calculators that are simple to use out there... and add about 20-25% onto that... Keep to the Protein/Carb/Veg kinda quality food mix.
    Any quick weight gain will most probably come from crappy foods, so given you have 6 weeks... you should be able to put a good 3kg of muscle alone if your strict.

As for supplements... I find that for an all rounder that "Maximuscle Cyclone" works really well in your situation... I've tried it back in the day... and it used to chuck weight on me (muscle).

Use the 6 weeks wisely buddy and you'll ace it.

PS... The whole not wanting it... and hammering a litre of water pre-medical is just silly... Not every1 can lose/gain weight so easily, therefore "quick-fixes would simply be cheating... Better to fail...and do it the right way... 6 Weeks will fly...and give you a personal goal to motivate your training.