Weight issues

jamie_82

Reaction score
Hi guys.
After much reading on the forum im starting for the first time to doubt my attempt at joing the RMR's due to my weight. Currently i am under the 65kg limit (which i only just found that there was a limit!). Im giving myself 12 weeks to train before i apply to do my PJFT. I used to be pretty ripped and about 2-3 stone heavier. I've had 3 years off the gym but have been back down regually a month or 2 now. Im hoping some weight will natually come back pretty quickly due to muscle memory etc. But i feel that i will only just be scraping the 65kg limit in about 12 weeks from now and although i feel i'll be ok during PJFT, PCRMR and training, my concern is out in the field if i get called up or if i opt to go on operations. The kit will be much heavier than in training and i don't want to be out there suffering greatly. I want to feel i can be mobile enough to stay alive and keep the people around me alive as best i can! Im panicing that out on the field i will be at a dissadvantage. I don't see why during training they don't train you with all the gear that you would have on an op? Or do they?
Whilst im confident i can slog it out and move with any amount of weight on me, that doesn't mean that i can leg it if i had to. In which case it would be like shooting a drunk cow! An easy target! :(
If there are any members who are serving in active duty or have been that are reading this, can you share your opinions of the smaller guys out there and how they are getting on with the full kit? Anyone like me. Im 5'7 and will be the lightest that is allowed.
Im also worried that if i was out in Gan or somewhere hot, that i would lose weight so easily from the heat. I can lose weight like you wouldn't believe! I can put it on to make the grade but i'd imagine it would drop soon after :(

slayer9989

Reaction score
hey mate

not in the service yet but got the same problem 5,11 and weigh 64 kg :S my post is linked at the bottom of this one i think

but to do with your worry from what *text deleted** been told most guys end up pilling the weight on when there training as, ok the food might not be great but its all you can eat preaty much and combined with the physical training helps lods and as such i havent heard of some one passing out at the 65kg mark

one guy said he was on the 65kg when started then at the end was 79kg

i think that main thing is to get to the 65kg+ then keep an eye on it in training and if your realy woried max out the shakes but i gess you know that from before at the gym :)

jamie_82

Reaction score
hey mate

not in the service yet but got the same problem 5,11 and weigh 64 kg :S my post is linked at the bottom of this one i think

but to do with your worry from what *text deleted** been told most guys end up pilling the weight on when there training as, ok the food might not be great but its all you can eat preaty much and combined with the physical training helps lods and as such i havent heard of some one passing out at the 65kg mark

one guy said he was on the 65kg when started then at the end was 79kg

i think that main thing is to get to the 65kg+ then keep an eye on it in training and if your realy woried max out the shakes but i gess you know that from before at the gym :)
Hello mate. Im not so much worried about the training itself....just life after training having to carry all the extra kit like grenades, night vision goggles, field kits etc etc.
And im sure most guys do put the weight on but im not most guys. It took me 4 years to put 2 stone on down the gym. And i know how to train trust me on that one. One of my brothers was (or still is) a British weight lifting champion. Strength seems to be in our genes but size isn't. My dad for example is 66 and i don't know anyone that can beat him in an arm wrestle! haha
When i was 60kg i was benching 100 kg and shoulder pressing 30kg dumbells. That was basically half my weight in one hand and half in the other hand pressing above my head. I'm known to be very strong (well used to be anyway haha) but never looked it! :( haha
I could always up the weights evey fortnight down the gym but my weight would never change. I think im a freak! haha
Hopefully there are people on here with first hand experience of working with other short 65kg'ers and knowing how they cope??

jamie_82

Reaction score
My second option was to be a driver but i'd much prefer to be in the fight like the Marines. Or do they have driver roles in the RMR'S??
To me going for a driver option felt like a second best option but if i could be a driver for the Marines, that would make it feel less of a downgrade in my eyes.
You should see me drive! When i've had a drink there is no stopping me! hahahahaha kiding! :smile:

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
when you say you up the weights what sort of rep range are you doing? 8-10 seems to be the optimum range for building muscle. and how much weight do you need to gain to reach 65kg?

clockwork

Reaction score
gaining weight isn't down to waht you do in the gym its down to what you do in the kitchen.

if its your dream to be in the royals then you are going to have to force your self to eat more. add calorie dense foods such as peanut butter to your diet.

there is no real reason why you cant gain 2-4lbs a months.

there is a stickied thread in the diet and training section all about gaining weight, give it a look

jamie_82

Reaction score
when you say you up the weights what sort of rep range are you doing? 8-10 seems to be the optimum range for building muscle. and how much weight do you need to gain to reach 65kg?
5 sets of 5 most of the time but obviously it varies now and then. You have to mix it up as im sure you know. Need to trick the muscles you see. Crafty *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*s :)
I used to weigh 12 stone but the last few years have been the worst for me. Won't go into detail but i reached rock bottom. I hit 8 stone at my worst last year. Im hovering just under 9 stone at the moment. I've only just got back down the gym a month or so ago. It should come back fairly quickly (i hope!!) but at the moment it's bad. The weights i would use to warm up on are now what i lift as my main sets! :embarrest:
Im literally back to square one again like when i started training properly when i was about 22. Oooh they were the days. People used to look at me and think how the heck is that slim guy lifting those heavy weights! Now they just look at me as if to say why is that guy lifting the girls weights? hahaha
Oh well im determined enough to get back into shape and when i do, i'll be trying out for the RMR's.
Does anyone know if i can do my PJFT, medical and paper worketc and then come back when im fit to do the PRMCR?? Or does it not work like that?
Im still waiting for them to ring me back so i can ask all these questions but my app was delayed so i have to wait another 10 days :( Hopefully i can get some answers on here.

Carl1PRM

Reaction score
Quick question, do you have to be 65kg when you go for the medical? or before you start the PRMC?

Im also currently under the 65kg requirement, but moving in the right direction. Unfortunately my work/personal life does not permit me to eat the 6+ smaller meals a day to keep the body fuelled (we get moaned at if were seen in the kitchen too much at work)

What I have found is high calorie protein supplement shakes as an ideal aid in both gaining strength and weight, in a healthier way.

Chub

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You don't need to be doing weights to put on weight. I was 65kg in the first week of training I'm now week 7 and I'm 70kg. I use to struggle to put weight on. Its all down to not eating enough. 4 big meals a day and snack inbetween.

jamie_82

Reaction score
Hi Chub. I'm not sure if that was to me or not? If it was, i know all about training. I've been through the 4000 cals a day routine (which was way over my metabolic rate) and 7 meals a day etc etc. Im an Ectomorph. Some people just struggle more than others. It's about genitics. Yes diet is everything. It's 70% of bodybuilding but when your an ectomorph and have stress that can make your gums bleed....it's a little different mate! :) And we are all different. There are people out there who get fat from eating practically nothing and visa versa.
Anyway this is all off topic now. I wasn't asking for training or dieting advice! :bigsmile: Thanks all the same though buddy.

Chub

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
No worries mate, I massively struggled to put on weight aswell. Thought not matter how much I eat I couldn't put on weight just that when I got to training I put weight on. Don't bother put weight on with weights like bicep curls and stuff that's pointless. Fair enough doing compound movements. Try to stay to circuits and pull ups as much as you can and try to just eat loads. Loads of people in my troop who did weights before they came In just lost all of there size because it wasnt needed

Rocky5748

Reaction score
Im an Ectomorph. Some people just struggle more than others. It's about genitics. Yes diet is everything. It's 70% of bodybuilding but when your an ectomorph and have stress that can make your gums bleed....it's a little different mate! :) And we are all different. There are people out there who get fat from eating practically nothing and visa versa.
Somatotyping is a general classification on body shape and doesn't provide any physiological explanation for your weight loss, but from your previous posts I'm sure your aware of that.

Re: deployment worries

All training is incremental and designed to help you to a stage of fitness that means you have the best chance of surviving in the field. At all stages during your training you are tested physically, and again before you deploy. All these tests are devised by the grown ups to ensure you are not a liability to you or your oppos.

So in short, no you won't be a liability in the field, you would have failed before then.( Hopefully it wouldn't come to that thought)

good luck with your application

jamie_82

Reaction score
Chub: Good post mate and totally agree.

Rocky: Cheers for that mate. Does the same go the RMR's?
Is "all" the phys done in my own time and im expected to pass whatever tests they put me through? Im aware that training is progressive if your in the 32 week course with the regulars but i can't get my head around how it works with the RMR's. I can't seem to find too much detail on the RMR's.

Rocky5748

Reaction score
Rocky: Cheers for that mate. Does the same go the RMR's?
Is "all" the phys done in my own time and im expected to pass whatever tests they put me through? Im aware that training is progressive if your in the 32 week course with the regulars but i can't get my head around how it works with the RMR's. I can't seem to find too much detail on the RMR's.
It does. The RMR take pride in that they go through the same tests as the regs.

Yes a huge amount of phys will be in your own time(but they will provide you with advice to help), they will also put you through phys during training nights and weekends. My old unit even used to put on an extra day purely for phys.

Which detachment are you hoping to join? if you speak to them they may have a holding troop that is well worth turning up to if you want an idea of what the phys is like.

rocky

jamie_82

Reaction score
It does. The RMR take pride in that they go through the same tests as the regs.

Yes a huge amount of phys will be in your own time(but they will provide you with advice to help), they will also put you through phys during training nights and weekends. My old unit even used to put on an extra day purely for phys.

Which detachment are you hoping to join? if you speak to them they may have a holding troop that is well worth turning up to if you want an idea of what the phys is like.

rocky
Hello mate. I'm looking to join the London one. The one in Southwark/Bermondsey (2, Old Jamaica Road)
Im currently giving myself 12 weeks to get "back into shape" before i jump in though. I'm still waiting for a phone call from my local RMR chap and i want to find out if i can get other things out of the way in the meantime such as medical and the eye test etc etc. Then when im back in shape, try and get into holding troop and start the training procces.