Weight-Lifting

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok heres the question,
How long do you guys take to gain mass?
I havent been lifting lately *text deleted* ive been training for my lifesaving exam (which i passed).
But last time i did the measurements were 33cm upper arms before i went, and 34.5cm the morning after.

Now Im 15 so I'v only just started lifting so im still kinda small *text deleted* but since it looks like RM is out of the picture :frown: im lookin to gain mass *text deleted* *text deleted* i dont have the cash nd good looks of most guys haha.

So yea if anyone wants to give me some advice im all ears:biggrin:

sorry for da long post *text deleted*

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Erm i put on like 2 stones in 4 weeks when i started training and got *text deleted**text deleted*loads of stretch marks above my armpits...not a good idea:doh:

J

Jason_A

Well just lifiting isn't going do nothing. You need to be eating a healthy diet as well as getting some CV exercise. You cannot and will not gain in a matter of weeks. It takes at least 6 months to put a stone of muscle on -- and that's only if you're lifitng and eating well.

Head on over to these forums -- but don't asked silly questions 'cause they will punish you: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

J

Jason_A

Erm i put on like 2 stones in 4 weeks when i started training and got *text deleted**text deleted*loads of stretch marks above my armpits...not a good idea:doh:

Completely impossible to put 2 stone of muscle on in 4 weeks. And I don't care who you are. Obviously, if you're getting stretch marks, then you aren't lifting properly, or not getting enough rest.

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Jason,
yea i eat a lot of good stuff, junk is too expensive *text deleted*
but yea i was just wondering *text deleted*

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
The right diet and there are certain types of shakes you can buy for quicker weight gain which will help with bulkier muscles (Y)

J

Jason_A

The right diet and there are certain types of shakes you can buy for quicker weight gain which will help with bulkier muscles (Y)

Not true. No shake is going to help you gain muscle.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ok heres the question,
How long do you guys take to gain mass?
I havent been lifting lately *text deleted* ive been training for my lifesaving exam (which i passed).
But last time i did the measurements were 33cm upper arms before i went, and 34.5cm the morning after.

Now Im 15 so I'v only just started lifting so im still kinda small *text deleted* but since it looks like RM is out of the picture :frown: im lookin to gain mass *text deleted* *text deleted* i dont have the cash nd good looks of most guys haha.

So yea if anyone wants to give me some advice im all ears:biggrin:

sorry for da long post *text deleted*

Gaining mass is differant for each person, it is also largely dependant on what kind of mass you are looking for. Solid functional lean mass is hard to achieve as it requires correct diet and hard training. If your looking to just gain size then you have to consume more calories than you burn, not just any calories though, you need correct amounts of protein carbs and fat at the correct times for the protein synthesis in your body to be constant and allow for a hypertrophic (muscle gaining) build up. Short and explosive movements are also needed rather than prolonged workouts is effectively gain big pretty muscle.

You mention how you measured the morning after, thats just silly since you will not see instant mass gains in a matter of days it takes months of hard work to see any noticeable achievements.

Also being only 15 you still have atleast 6-8 years of growth left in you and your body will most likely change alot over the next 3 years...myself for example : at 14 i was 1.4m and fat but at 18, i was 1.84m with 85kg fairly solid muscle just from rugby at school and college.

And you want mass cause you dont have money or good looks like the other guys for what? Picking up women? if so dont worry about looks or money with women although it does help, ask any man that has been around for a while, charm and wit will get you further than looks or money.

Why is RM out of the window?

Basically to end off, don't worry about how long it will take you to add mass cause there is no solid rate of growth, but with the amounts of natural testosterone that is pumping through your body at your age a few months of training will yield decent results providing you train hard and eat correctly...you wont get anywhere near the size or density of the older guys for a while but thats just normal. There is loads of info available on the web for teenage bodybuilding and dieting.

Chris

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Not true. No shake is going to help you gain muscle.

no. a weight gainer shake with 4:1 carb:protein mix helped me put on half a stone in a month and nothing else could. shakes are liquid so are absorbed into the muscles very quickly.

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Consume 3200 (that's 1lbs exactly).
There's 14lbs in a stone.

So to add 2 stone you need to consume over 90,000 in 4 weeks. so that works out to around 3,000 calories a day. It's hard to find high calorie healthy foods. You'll be constantly eating. and if you're naturally skinny, your metabolism will get take over!

Considering a breakfast, snack, lunch and dinner usually counts to 1,200 - 1,700.

The only time i've EVER seen someone consume over 3,200 they were training for american football. I think their daily consumption was 10,000.
Sounds nice, but he was feckin miserable all the time!!

J

Jason_A

no. a weight gainer shake with 4:1 carb:protein mix helped me put on half a stone in a month and nothing else could. shakes are liquid so are absorbed into the muscles very quickly.

OK. So, you're tellin' me you gained half a stone of 'muscle' in a month and no fat whatsoever? Somehow I don't believe that for a minute. Go over to the bodybuilding forums and post what you've just posted -- they seriously will laugh so hard.

*text deleted* -- they do that to sell the product. Common sense.

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with you, it's IMPOSSIBLE to put on 1/2 a stone of muscle in a month. It's either water weight or fat.

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i have no visible fat and thats how much i gained in a month as i measured my weight daily.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not to say you look fatter mate,but it is a fact that you MUST have put fat on. You cannot build muscle and lose fat,and nearly every time you try to gain muscle, (Unless you know a lot about diet) you will deffinatly gain fat.

You may not have noticed it but you can store fat in legs,arse,anywhere other than the 'obvious' places like abs and arms that might still look ripped

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
No shake will help you gain muscle - if you dont work out.
Shakes will help provide extra crap for your body, which helps with repair work etc. But the shake itself will only make you fat.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

A shake is merely liquid form of nutrition, whole food would have done the same thing had you eaten enough of it, the nutrition of shakes are absorbed via your digestive system.

Its proven that while protein from shakes does help the macro nutrients obtained from wholesome food are far better at muscle hypertrophy.

Shakes do not build muscle, hard training, nutrition and rest build muscle, shakes are merely an additive to a diet.

spartan said:

As i said above a shake is merely powdered food...whole food does exactly the same thing so if you couldnt add weight then your diet was just wrong.

Is this a consistent gain? ie can you reproduce this every month? Did you stop using the product after 1 month? What was your diet like before using this shake? What age where you when this happened? What brand was this weight gainer? Did it contain a mix of creatine and glutamine?

I have to say i agree with the other guys that a large part of that weight gain would have to have been water and fat as the math on calorie vs lean bodyweight just does not add up. Besides if they sold a powdered form of food that could make you gain 0.5 stone of lean body weight a month i would be bigger than jay cutler and ronnie coleman with 1 years training.

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* i dont know, i might have a bit more fat somewhere i do work out hard i just take this weight gainer which is carbs and proteing staight after exersizing. by the way i have a very good diet no jusk atall

J

Jason_A

*text deleted* i dont know, i might have a bit more fat somewhere i do work out hard i just take this weight gainer which is carbs and proteing staight after exersizing. by the way i have a very good diet no jusk atall

Don't just use shakes -- get a proper meal down ya.

Anyway, what's your body fat percentage? Like I've said, you have not gained half a stone of muscle in a month -- fat, yes.