Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Weight loss in training

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by LB98, Jul 16, 2019.

1. LB98

LB98 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hi all I’m due to start RT soon and just wis wrong how much weight recruits lose in the first few weeks as I’m around 68/69kg, so if I lose a fair bit I’ll be hovering close to the 65kg minimum, if for some reason I’m training my weight does fall below this does anything happen or do they not weigh you at all after joining?

2. LB98

LB98 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Wondering* not wis wrong

3. Faugery

Faugery Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Congratulations! My lad lost weight and inches as did all his troop. He is on the heavier end of the limit so not a problem for him. Some of the others have been constantly eating calories to try and keep up to the 65kg and do get monitored. My advice would be to bulk up as much as you can before you start but I am sure others on here will have great advice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@LB98 I'm certainly not a nutritional expert but as alluded to by @Faugery there is a very high probability of losing body weight, especially during Phase 1 of RT. An enormous amount of calories will be expended daily.

Unsure what the script is after starting RT but I'll wager that anyone who appears to be slimmer than the average during RT will find themselves standing on a set of weighing scales. PTIs and TTs will have seen so many lads pass through RT that they will notice a Recruit who might be underweight.
    Consequences of being underweight during RT? Someone better qualified than I will hopefully comment.

The good news is that forty years from now you will merely have to glance at a pint of ale and a pear frangipane to instantly gain one kilogram in weight. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Just from my own observations of my son going through his RT. Up until week 9 gym passout he lost around 3-4KG, after this point, he steadily gained weight due to man phys on bottom field. He topped out at 72KG. Then during the Commando phase he lost weight again. After Final Ex he was 66KG.

He began RT at 69KG

Week 10 66.5KG.

Week 20 72KG

Week 27 66KG.

This is an individual example so make of that what you will. My son was also 17 on commencement of RT, so was still growing. Maybe worth noting his appearance changed quite markedly. Going from looking incredibly thin, to quite muscular. Back to thin again.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Everyone reacts differently, but you'll be constantly on the go so some weight loss is inevitable for most.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LB98

LB98 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I was into bodybuilding and weighed 77kg with my waist only being half an inch bigger so lost a lot of muscle, but people don’t really believe I weigh what I do and think I’m about 72ish, on the carries in PRMC one of the pti’s Said to the bloke carrying me that i was twice his size, he was 1inch taller than me and a bit heavier but was skinnier than me but still haha

I’m 20 so almost done growing in those terms but just *text deleted* eat more and put some weight on it can’t hurt

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Racing snake! :)
    As you know I'm a bit shorter than your lad but I dropped down to that exact weight for a cycling event a couple of years back. I looked like an escapee from Belsen and shivered through much of the summer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yep. When I seen my lad after Final Ex, he had the appearance of a turtle! :D

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1