Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by joshmd123, Jun 25, 2017.

1. joshmd123

joshmd123 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi all

I'm currently in the process of losing weight. Aiming to apply in around 3months once lost some weight.

Can anyone recommend any programme to follow which will build up my fitness but also help lose weight or just advice or tips.

With press ups and sit ups will be doing them daily. Pull ups will be done regular at the gym as well.

Any tips thanks in advance

Josh

2. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

Hey Josh,

I'll explain the sciences behind weightloss for you. If it seems too confusing, just exercise more than what you eat but don't starve yourself completely. Avoid fatty junk foods and things high in sugar.

Weight loss is basically a mathematical forumla you've got to stick to, most programs don't explain this and is why a lot of people fail at losing weight or it takes a very long time. It's not just a simple case of 'doing a bit more exerise', you've also got to eat a lot loss.

Its all about being and staying in a 'calorie deficit'. Meaning you're slightly starving your body of external energy sources (food) and making it use its stored energy reserves (fat).
    It's important you don't just stop eating food though, this is counter-productive, whilst you'll burn lots of fat, when you start eating again (which you will as it isnt sustainable) your body will pack it nearly all of it on as fat again. It's needs to be a permanent lifestyle and diet change.

To put it simply, you need to be burning more calories than you're consuming.

How can you figure this out and do it? You're going to need to create a realistic meal plan and stick to it.

Firstly, use this calculator to figure out your RMR, Resting Metabolic Rate. RMR is how many calories your body burns just from its normal function throughout the day e.g. breathing, digestion. You need to know this to figure out how many calories you need to be consuming just to maintain your current weight - use this link
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm

Then you need to find out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), this is how many calories you're burning each day through activity e.g. work, exercise
    TDEE https://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Then using these numbers the ideal thing to do is to create a meal plan - heres a great explanation on how to do this -

If that all seems like way too much effort and you dont have the dedication (it is a pain but the proper way to go about it)
    you should atleast track your calories, in the UK almost every food sold has the amount of calories it contains written on it, everytime you eat something write it down, add them all up and see what numbers you're consuming in a day. Make sure you aren't eating more than your RMR+TDEE or you'll gain weight. You want to aim to be 250-1000 calories EVERY SINGLE DAY! under that (this numbers debated) to ensure weightloss.

Don't bother with any supplements or 'weight loss' products, they do absolutely nothing. The only things that work are ephredrine & clenbuterol but these are both illegal dangerous substances with bad side effects that you should never touch.

You can't out train a bad diet for weightloss unless you spend nearly all day doing phys.
    a mars bar contains 260 calories, small bottle of coke 186 calories & a packet of walkers salt vinegar crisps 184 calories. = 630 calories
    A 60 minute jog burns roughly 400-450 calories.

Diet is the key, the exercise is an aid.

With regards to your fitness, just follow the RM training tool program but tailor the numbers/distances/times to suit your level of fitness and slowly build them up over the weeks.

If you want any more help or have any questions just drop me a personal message pal

(top tip; Black coffee helps curb hunger cravings)

• Like Like x 5
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Sound advice above. A few further tips to consider:

1. Weigh yourself at the start of your weight loss project and use the same scales to weigh yourself subsequently.

2. Don't check your body weight weekly—or even worse, daily—but consider doing so once every two weeks, ideally at the same time of day. You will notice the weight loss and won't be demotivated by daily weight fluctuations.

3. Initially your body weight loss will be relatively significant but the rate of loss will taper off as your body adjusts to the calorie deficit.

4. Avoid alcohol. It has a massive calorie content but no other benefit (for those wanting to lose body weight). :)

5. Set yourself an initial, achievable weigh loss target. Say, 5 Kg or perhaps 10 Kg. Once achieved, set yourself another target, and so on...

Weight loss will be achieved by applying self discipline and consistency.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  4. joshmd123

joshmd123 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi mate

Thanks for the advice.

*text deleted* lose 10kg initially so got my first goal sorted then *text deleted* ramp up my cardio training.

Thanks again

5. cc1

cc1 Royal Marines Commando

You're going to be hard pressed to lose 10kgs in 3 months without your strength and overall conditioning taking a huge hit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sausage

Sausage New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    For exercises I found using the jump rope and punch bag in combo helped shed weight.. also swimming helped..

Ultimately it comes down to diet and nutrition

• Like Like x 1
  7. joshmd123

joshmd123 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers for reply mate.

Yeah *text deleted* be more realistic and give it around 6months.

Funny that I start a boxing class Monday and also got a swimming membership sorted. Cheers mate

8. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

Realised an error in my post

That calculator includes the RMR in the TDEE so dont plus both of them together and subtract 500.
    Just use the TDEE calculatir then subtract around 500 cals.

Sorry if thats confused anyone

Some reallly great points

9. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    hey mate sorry didn't see this earlier don't usually come ti this side of the forum *text deleted*.

I've had the same issues as you I remember when I applied back in April the first thing that was brought up when I was contacted was my weight/bmi was well over for my height and I needed to lose alot.

I was told I could hold my application or try lose it and continue with it and see where I'm at by the medical stage.

I am 5 foot 9 and was 15.7 not all fat just alot of weight with muscle with a weist of 104/5 wideload I know *text deleted*.
    I have my triage medical phone call next week and I'm now at 13.11 with a 93 weist.

To lose this weight the diet is just as important as the exercise

I cut out all rubbish I.e sweets/chrisps/pop/bread/dairy stuff (milk,cheese), takeaways. I don't drink so that was never an issue.

Exercise to start with always played local football but done alot of walking with weight vest to start with then gradual jogs.
    I also have a gym/swimming membership and do that twice a day but I don't do any weights just treadmill for running.

I haven't found loosing the weight any issue at all.

How much do you actually need to lose or what is your bmi?

You can still start the application and do the rt and interview as there will be a while overall between the two I did this as I felt it was better than losing all the weight and for some reason I had failed the tests.

Good luck with everything.

• Like Like x 1
  10. joshmd123

joshmd123 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Hi mate

Thanks for reply. Sorry for delay

I'm literally the same weight and height mate.

How long did it take for you too lose the weight so far mate?

I may get the ball rolling sooner rather than later then.

All the best

11. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So your 13.11 and 5 foot 9? Measure your waist and see what that is in cm.

Has taken me since April to lose what I have but I have done al0t of fitness and my diet has been very strict and I'm only at my medical stage this week otherwise if I didn't apply until say tiday it could have been 3/4 months from this point until my medical came about.

Well it's your choice fella depends how confident or ambitious you are.

You do your recruit exam , book in for eye test and fill in a medical questionnaire form which you keep a copy and send the other with your eyee test results to your afco , then interview , then triage medical call so it's not really an over the night application *text deleted*.

Also if you have any blips on your medical history like recently or last couple of years get up to date medical copies from your gp to show there's no outlining issues which I was advised by my afco to do to stop bein made tmu from needing up to date further information on the issue needed.

12. joshmd123

joshmd123 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sorry mate meant the weight you started at 5'9 and around 15'9.

Yeah seems a good idea applying early. Probably lose a stone or so then apply I think.

That makes sense I'll request the med docs once I'be applied.

Cheers mate

13. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    No worries and I was at 15.7

Yea well I didn't *text deleted* wait a further 6 months before I got to training so I thought if I applied and just lost the weight as I went along and got to the medical and my weight was still out of the limits I could always defer that to a later date and at least I'd have passed the rt and interview before it which I think last for a year so I took that approach and was advised it was a good way to do it so that's what I done.

Whatever you feels the best way to approach it then go for it and good luck

No problem

• Like Like x 1