Weight training supposedly bad?

Callum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
After my Pyschometric test today a few of us started making conversation and this one guy joining the reserves was saying how weight training will not help you with the pressups/pullups/other-arm-exercises, and that they will only bulk you up and make you heavier, not stronger.

This kinda pissed me off, because I've put alot of time into weight training recently haha.

Was this guy right?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, bulking up muscle mass will definitely hinder you on Recruit Training. You need good CV fitness together with the ability to complete pull-ups & press-ups. Heavy weights are not recommended.

US Marines usually fail PRMC for this reason.

Callum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So weights are a no-go?
Even my puney 11Kg dumbells?

Will they not even help with like... Muscle Stamina or anything?

Cheers

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well, for stamina weights are ok. but to increase stamina using weights u want a VERY LIGHT weight and LOTS of reps this improves stamina. i wouldnt use weights at all on upper-body, just use body weight excersise's as these are the best. use weights on *text deleted* legs LIGHT WEIGHTS LOTS OF REPS remember that all you will get huge and RT will be impossible :)

cheers,

-james

caboose

Reaction score
what sized weights would you recommend for endurance training and how many reps??

would say 50 reps of something of around 10kg be too little or too much?

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Weights are fine. It takes far to long to gain good quality muscle for it to hinder you unless you spend a year or two training to join up. If your talking about the few months leading up to PRMC. Then go to a gym and stick to doing things like deadlifts and squat with correct form. These will improve your core 10x more than situps ever will.And although it may no transfer into useable strength for say pressups, it will strength your core,legs and back and will help you in general day to day training.

Look to maybe do 2 full body workouts a week,pick a few good compound excerises (nothing isloating,so dont sit doing 50 bicep curls.Waste of time)

People that say weights will hinder you seem to think that doing some weight training will make you massive. Im 11.5 stone at around 10-% and stronger than most people anywhere near my size (not being big headed). Its not nesiscary,but i beleive having a good alround strength,combined with fitness is the way forward.

That way your less likely to damage yourself when yomping,carrying and opo etc. Situps and basic excersises wont actually do much to improve your core and general strength. You may get better in terms of being able to do more pullups,but big heavy compound movements are what stimulates lots of different muscles,working together.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
SamForrest said:
Weights are fine. It takes far to long to gain good quality muscle for it to hinder you unless you spend a year or two training to join up. If your talking about the few months leading up to PRMC. Then go to a gym and stick to doing things like deadlifts and squat with correct form. These will improve your core 10x more than situps ever will.And although it may no transfer into useable strength for say pressups, it will strength your core,legs and back and will help you in general day to day training.

Look to maybe do 2 full body workouts a week,pick a few good compound excerises (nothing isloating,so dont sit doing 50 bicep curls.Waste of time)

People that say weights will hinder you seem to think that doing some weight training will make you massive. Im 11.5 stone at around 10-% and stronger than most people anywhere near my size (not being big headed). Its not nesiscary,but i beleive having a good alround strength,combined with fitness is the way forward.

That way your less likely to damage yourself when yomping,carrying and opo etc. Situps and basic excersises wont actually do much to improve your core and general strength. You may get better in terms of being able to do more pullups,but big heavy compound movements are what stimulates lots of different muscles,working together.

Well said sam ... and all valid points you make !! A fine balance will do you do wonders! :D

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thats the main thing mate.A balance. Pressups and pull ups are all well and good,and they WILL get you into RT if your Fizz is up to scratch as well. But at the end of the day,why go down there with just the mimimum. Id rather go knowing i can do the excersises they wish,run the times needed,yet still put a heavy pack on my back and not have any problems. Failing to prepare,your preparing to fail.

Do what you need to do,then more so.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
SamForrest said:
Thats the main thing mate.A balance. Pressups and pull ups are all well and good,and they WILL get you into RT if your Fizz is up to scratch as well. But at the end of the day,why go down there with just the mimimum. Id rather go knowing i can do the excersises they wish,run the times needed,yet still put a heavy pack on my back and not have any problems. Failing to prepare,your preparing to fail.

Do what you need to do,then more so.

Hooraah ! :wink:

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
That looks fairly good. I personally would replace the Power cleans with Clean and press. so effectivly your getting a deadlift in with a shoulder press.
And the two hand curl (barbell i guess they mean) could be better replaced with say a bent over row. It will still work the Bis if done correctly,but will give good strength on the back and help greatly with Pull ups.

At the end of the day thats a fairly good example of what you may choose to do once a week. Were not looking to be powerlifters or buildy builders. So at most id say 2 weight sessions a week. Maybe a Push and Pull, Upper and lower, whatever is going to fit your training. Variety is the key. And weights arnt an issue.You dont have to lift big to gain.

Low weights with correct form on things like deadlift will improve your strength so much better than cheating out reps as you want to be seen to be doing more weight! I cant emphasise how good the deadlift is if done properly. It works the whole postierour chain, so the back,glutes,hamstrings, core. Also works the shoulders.

Just mix stuff up guys. My current training for example , per week has 2 strength sessions,2/3 intense circuits, 2 main cardio workouts,2 boxing workouts,1/2 long swims, etc. Its all about improving slowly ,allowing the gains from one activity to flow into the rest.

Better to cross train slowly and then turn around in 6 months and have a good package, rather than run yourself into the ground getting stuck in a rut after 2 months of all out same old day in day out training!

smithy1992

Reaction score
so what would you recommend being the best exercise to strengthen the back :?:

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
in my opinion the best way to do your back is..

running helps tone the muscle

at your gym there should be a kind of equipment which you lie on up to your waist (i dont remember what its called my bad *text deleted*) pick a comfortable weight e.g. 10kg
lean as far forward as possible and then far back as possible and do sets of whatever u think is reasonable.

correct me if im wrong guys im not too sure ??

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ive done weights ever since starting training for Prmc (which i passed) and im still doing them for start of RT if we are talking 50-60 kg here then no i would say it wouldnt help but 30-40 kg with 20-30 reps x 5 on bench press would be fine and would benefit you, i stood out mostly on gym test two against quite a few of over guys with all the pulling and lifting and throwing compared to most because of weights to be honest, also weight trimmed alot of fat off me and mucscle tone came through :*text deleted*: :D

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Using heavy weights is perfectly okay!

The difference is...

If you *text deleted* build muscle, stick to 12 reps or less.

If you *text deleted* build endurance, 20 reps or more.

Please note that you will see a gain in muscle, but you'll be a little fitter and your endurance will be through the roof!!