Weight training

Robfo

Reaction score
Hey,

What kind of methods should I be using in the gym to get lean, strong muscle? I've always seen getting big as pretty cool, but not very useful when you've got to lug an extra 5lbs around on your frame when running. But i don't really know how many reps / sets i should be doing to get stronger w/o bulking up. Am i looking at just doing high reps and going for endurance or some other method?

Cheers
Rob

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you Joining The Marines Being Light weight,Supple,Good runner And good muscular endurance is what you need Which is High reps (20+) with a medium weight ive been doing this and its helped me alot with press ups etc. i wouldnt say you need to be mega strong though mate they will tell you that straight away down at the CTCRM. So if i was you go for muscle endurance which is high reps anything above 20 reps and repeat 4-5 times i would say.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dont worry about bulking up mate,if your looking to join soon,then you wont gain a massive amount of size.That takes lots of time in the gym,lots of rest,lots of good eating,and over a long period of time. Ive been lifting weights for years,and now my training is a lot differnt from what i started.People assume that just lifting weights will get you big. Ive trained with young girls that seem put of by weights,but the basics of good simple weight training work for anyone,increased strength ,and flexiblity, IF worked through a full range of motion (Somthing people generaly dont assosiate with weights,but thats down to poor technique and stretching)

You want to be doing say 2 sessions a week,work on a Push and a Pull day for simplicity. 1 warm up set,and 3 workout sets. Reps between 12-15 on a weight that will work you pretty hard,but dont look to go to failure on everyset.Youll burn yourself out quickly and have a higher chance of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscles Soreness) interupting your other training sessions

Excersises for a Push could include, Bench Press,Dips/Weighted Dips (On dip bars) Clean and Press (Will work legs and shoulders) and shoulder press.

And then a rough guide for a Pull day could include things like Pull ups (Wide grip)/Weighted Pull ups, Deadlifts (Medium weight,look for 100% Technique), Bent over rows

They will hit the main muscles,and by doing things like dealifts and clean and press your hitting a lot more than isolation excersises. When combined in a Push/Pull routine,it means you can hit similarly worked muscle groups,without having to spend ages at a gym. A lot of athletes and rugby players use similar routines,meaning they do a few big heavy lifts,for say back,and at the same time its working their arms. No excersise uses just one muscle

Too many people on here and mfat forums say dont do any weights. Whereas they arnt needed,its a good way to train muscles in a differnt way than doing Press ups,and sit ups all day.

My training at the moment is a mixture,in 1 week i might do two really intense circuits (20-30 mins no rest), 2 strength workouts,boxing circuits,swimming,rowing, conditioning workouts mixing circuit training with heavy sandbag lifting/sprinting,sled dragging etc.

Theres nothing wrong with just sticking to the basic bodyweight excersises. But its much better to strengthen your body as much as you can. Things like dealifts will improve your core and back no end if done correctly.That will then transfer nicely into training,lifting your mate,carrying a pack etc.