Weight trainings or just pull ups?

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve always done weight training for my back and biceps and pull ups and it’s got me from 3 to 9 which I’m happy with. However the issue is that the day after I do weights, my chest and triceps are increasingly sore as they are used as stablilizer muscles in some of the excersizes. And this affectes my ability to do my gainers press ups and I begin to loose form at a point where the day before I would be good for 10-15 more. So my question today is do you lot reckon I should cut out the weights and buy a pull up bar for me door frame and just use that instead?
Also sorry I know I’ve been posting a lot of questions which may seem silly or obvios so some:( lately but I’m not *text deleted* lie this is such a good website with top lads who really know what they’re on about so I’m grateful I’ve got this as a resource. :)

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve always done weight training for my back and biceps and pull ups and it’s got me from 3 to 9 which I’m happy with. However the issue is that the day after I do weights, my chest and triceps are increasingly sore as they are used as stablilizer muscles in some of the excersizes. And this affectes my ability to do my gainers press ups and I begin to loose form at a point where the day before I would be good for 10-15 more. So my question today is do you lot reckon I should cut out the weights and buy a pull up bar for me door frame and just use that instead?
Also sorry I know I’ve been posting a lot of questions which may seem silly or obvios so some:( lately but I’m not *text deleted* lie this is such a good website with top lads who really know what they’re on about so I’m grateful I’ve got this as a resource. :)

I’m not quite sure buy maybe it’s because your doing the same muscle group to often so not giving them a chance to rest or the weights your doing are to heavy to do to often so it’s causing you to fatigue so you have nothing left in the tank for the press ups.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You've used weights to get yourself up to a decent pull up score in 9 reps., now just train specific and try increase that as much as you can. Get a weighted vest as well to bring your reps back down, then when you take it off you'll be hitting higher numbers.

The session in arnys programme is 3 x weighted to failure, 3 x normal to failure, 3 x assissted to failure. I'm sure doing something like that 3/4 times a week would really help in getting you close to maxing out.

LRL

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You’re training the same muscle groups too often so they’re not repairing and recovering so ultimately keep it up and you’ll actually get weaker and potentially lose muscle mass. Scrap the typical splits and stick the compound lifts if you want to still lift. Atleast then what you are doing is functional and will benefit you in this career choice.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Specific training is what will get you where you need to be as quickly, and as smartly as possible. If you want to do pull ups, do........pull ups. Weight training can play a part if you need extra strength to get your numbers up, but just try and stick with specific sessions If possible?

lkw07

Reaction score
I’ve got prmc in 4 weeks I’m just tryna get them last few pull up/press up number up as you do, am I just best of banging out max press ups x 3 to the bleep with no weight or with weight??