Weight

ugachaka

Reaction score
Hi guys at the moment I'm 5ft 7 and weigh 72kg, do you need to be big and tall to complete these yomps as I've heard the distances are long and the weights are heavy, or am I an ok weight

Cheers

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Hi guys at the moment I'm 5ft 7 and weigh 72kg, do you need to be big and tall to complete these yomps as I've heard the distances are long and the weights are heavy, or am I an ok weight

Cheers
My son started RT at 72 kgs and 6 ft. He completed training. Yomping is all about mental toughness! Of which you will be built up in RT. My son said there were lads who were 90kg muscle bosuns actually reduced to tears during the yomps on Final Ex. And there were 65kg racing snakes who coped ok. It's all in the head, not how your body is composed.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Thanks it's just ridiculous how fit you have to be
No mate!! It's a total myth that you need to be a phys ninja!! All you need is a good attitude, and strong mental toughness!! DO NOT!! be lead to believe that Royal Marines are super fit unbelievable athletes!

What Royal Marines are?? Incredibly mentally strong, with an attitude to keep going no matter what.

I don't think many lads leave RT because they are not fit enough??

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Honestly!! Although never a Royal Marine myself, I think I know my lad pretty well. He's no phys ninja! And he's one of those people who need to work hard on their fitness. However he's probably the most mentally resilient person I know!!

ugachaka

Reaction score
ye that's like me, I have to put a lot of effort in if I want results

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
ye that's like me, I have to put a lot of effort in if I want results
Again, what sets Royal apart is mental toughness, and a determination to get the job done no matter what.

Good luck.

ugachaka

Reaction score
Cheers I've still got a long way to go but hopefully I can manage it

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Cheers

Might I suggest a little more revision into what the Royal Marines do and their history?

You are above the minimum required weight. That’s all that matters. Mental toughness.

Chelonian

Reaction score

As stated above by Arny and TPA, moving heavily loaded bergens quickly over long distances and difficult terrain is as much about mental resilience as it is about fitness.

Technique is also important. You'll be taught how to load a bergen so that its centre of gravity keeps you (reasonably) stable. And how to arrange your belt kit, etc. so that as much bergen weight as possible sits on your hips; much easier than carrying all the weight on shoulders.

Taller and shorter-than-average Recruits each have elements of training with which they maybe thrive or struggle. Your height and weight probably puts you close to the average (or optimum) physically. Don't worry about it. Best of luck.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Cheers I've still got a long way to go but hopefully I can manage it
The mental attitude they're all talking about would not have seen you use the word 'hopefully'. You'd have written - 'Cheers I've still got a long way to go but I'm determined to do it'.