Weight

miniwogger

Reaction score
Is there a maximum weight limit?

I'm just wondering if theres a maximum weight limit that you have to be to pass your medical because I've just started training and I'm wondering if I need to loss a load of weight to pass. I currently weight about 222pound and I'm 6ft tall. cheers

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja's own words were "There is no maximum weight because there's no maximum height and as long as your height to weight ratio is within the.. heigh to weight ratio limit.. then you are okay"

southerncomfort

Reaction score
When you go for your medical your height and weight are checked on the BMI chart.

Now many people find this chart flawed as most rugby players for example are obese on the chart but can still maintain a high level of phys.
I failed my medical for exactly this reason last year and was told to lose 12kg even though I could do runs in the required time. I was later told by my AFCO that not all doctors follow suit and I was being booked in to see a different doctor and that if I can pass the tests then my weight wouldn't be an issue.

For obvious reasons losing some of the weight will make life easier with regards to the phys but if you can get the stats and times then I wouldn't worry too much.

malibuking

Reaction score
I am 6ft2 and at the time of my medical was 16 stone, i am going for the RMR, but my day job is a firefighter, so i can hold my own when it comes to phys. The doc wasn't happy with my BMI and basically called me fat, then he tested my body fat, and was at 22% which is still high, but obviously not as high as he thought, to which he responded, "oh, it seems there's a fair bit of muscle under there!", cheeky bleep! I think they are more concerned with body fat percentage, i think anything over 25% is a fail!! but on the other hand, it all depends on the doc, i think some of them are on a power trip!!

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Couple of questions regarding weight. First off i'm 15 weigh around 8 stone 4 and i'm about 5 foot 8. I have heard you have got to be around 70kg so if i'm right i have to put on 2 stone in about a year's training. Doesn't sound too hard to put on but considering because i'm at the start of training currently which means i'm not doing too much exercise and i'm eating an awful lot yet i never seem to put weight on. Also is it true that the heavier you are the easier it is to do pushups and pullups? I can't even do one pullup at the moment and can only do pushups for just over 30 secs though i'm currently on the 100 pushups program so at least i've got a routine for that.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
weight doesn't really have much to do with it. im 13.7 and at first i struggled to do 1, but if you train your muscles you will be able to lift your own weight easier. really its all about being able to do everything with your body weight, doesn't matter how heavy you are. I know people who are lighter and heavier than me and they can bang out press ups like theirs no tomorrow

Mat

Reaction score
Minimum weight is 60kg from what I understand, BMI is important so at 5'8" you would still be within the 18.9 to 24.5 range needed (I seem to remember this is the band you must be within for a good BMI reading). Weight plays a part in it all but it just depends on how strong you are and that comes from a good program of training, diet and rest. Eat a good diet, train well and your body will adjust to match the activity level.

Shibby

Reaction score
dont forget you're 15, you probably wont even need to train to weigh more in 2 years time, you'll have alot of growing and broadening out left to do. Keep training steadily and eating well and the main thing is dont over do it in an attempt to bulk up before your body is ready.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Bmi

i have heard that someone on here failed the medical because their bmi was just over the limit for being considered healthy or something about weight. now im currently getting a BMI of 25.4 on a good day would i be failed for this? as i feel that my height and weight ratio is fairly ok expescially as i have a fairly decent muscle mass on me and little fat although i can still cut down. any help is appreciated.

miniwogger

Reaction score
cheers lads thats what I needed to know because I know I need to lose some weight, least I know when am ready now. BMI is a load of b*text deleted**text deleted**ks, it makes it so much harder for people like me with big upper bodys. Its annoying because I know I can do whats required but that doesn't matter if my BMI's to high. cheers

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
They look at you when you take your clothes off, if you're 25.4 and your 40 odd inch chest is 40 odd inches of fat they're more than likely to say Temporarily Medically Unfit (TMU) but if you're 40 odd inch chest is 40 odd inch of relatively solid muscle then they're more than likely going to waver it as lets face it, how can you fail someone for being overweight when they've got big muscle mass. If you've got a high body fat % then I'd suggest burning it off with quick reps of core exercises but if you're honestly muscle then you shouldn't fail.

Saying that, all the Nurses (and doctors, I got both) are different from what people have said on this forum, some pass, some fail. Maybe you should consult your AFCO as they might contact the Medical Centre and find out a more specific answer.

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about it too much buddy, mine puts me at 28 and i passed no problem. I think like Ashley says, if you have a high BMI but can pass all the test then i cant see it being a problem. As long as you can complete the RMFA and various tests you should be fine.
I dont think the BMI is a great test of 'state of health' for a potential royal marine. The BMI test compares you with a 'normal' and does distinguish between fat/muscle/tissues in the body. Be concerned with your running times and level of fitness first!

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
well im not all muscle, i still have a bit more fat on me than i want. about 15% depending on the time of day etc.. but i can do with losing a good 5%.

cheers for the info

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
15% isn't that much, it's easily reduced and with times like 20.51 for 3 miles it can't be hindering you much. My new ab workout as of monday consists of 10 exercises: Prone Cobra, crunch, side crunch, alternating crunch, sit ups, oblique v-ups, ab v-ups, pulse up and plank. If you can manage to do a simlar workout, especially crunches, then that'll reduce your body fat % in just a few weeks.

Anything you can do now, just decrease the amount of reps you do and speed it up.

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Thats a pretty good ab work out!! I didnt do that much before i went. I lost a lot of sit ups because my knees kept coming apart as i sat up!

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
15% isn't that much, it's easily reduced and with times like 20.51 for 3 miles it can't be hindering you much. My new ab workout as of monday consists of 10 exercises: Prone Cobra, crunch, side crunch, alternating crunch, sit ups, oblique v-ups, ab v-ups, pulse up and plank. If you can manage to do a simlar workout, especially crunches, then that'll reduce your body fat % in just a few weeks.

Anything you can do now, just decrease the amount of reps you do and speed it up.
yeah i guess so. just got a bit worried because it would be hard to loose loads more weight as i have lost loads already. what do those Prone Cobra and Pulse up exercises involve?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I was skin and bones and 1/10000th of my body was muscle when I was 15, I'm now 17 (soon) and I'm skin, bones and 9/10th muscle and 1/10th 'almost' muscle (my stomach is in need of some working). Don't worry, I passed my medical at 60kg but I'm now 65.5kg due to working out and fueling my hunger.

M

MTW

the limit is 29, no matter how fit you are. but you will be safe as houses at 25 mate

M

MTW

i got failed as i was 29 on bmi instead of 28 mate, and i was 222 at six one, but you dont have to wait for ages or do the medical again, just go and get reweighed, so id loose a little extra just to be on the safe side mate, but im goin for normal marines, so dunno if the medical is any different but doubt it.