Weighted sit-ups

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone here do them?

I was doing a quick workout sesh last night and seeing as sit-ups have always been quick a strong point of mine, I thought I'd try doing some but holding one of my 9kg dumbbells on my chest.

It certainly made it harder work, I wont incorperate them into my circuit, but I think I'll keep doing those in my spare time.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i do them with 5KG instead.. Just makes sit ups that little bit hard.. Lifting more weight up so will build abs up slightly faster..

Sam

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It's good if you keep the movement right. My gym has a set of weighted balls especially for this, you hold one onto your chest and proceed to do the ab exercise, quite useful.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Would it not be better, improvement wise, that say if you could do fifty weighted sit-ups in a set, to do a hundred normal sit-ups? I thought it was all about reps...

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well obviously weighted exercises are better suited for body builders who want to build mass, whereas for the marines you want endurance and high repetition exercises.

What I would suggest is rather than do it all the time throw in a weighted session occasionally, because press ups and sit ups are good but you are just lifting your own bodyweight, adding weight to these will help expand the muscle fibres, which means doing regular sit ups and press ups will be much easier, which is to your advantage as you can get out more reps.

Or you can set yourself a goal, say you can already do 60 press ups, aim to be able to do 60 press ups with a 5kg weight meaning you will find the regular ones much easier.

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Like I said in the original post, I will not be adding these into my circuits, but just doing them randomly if I fancy a change.

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
weighted sit ups make your muscles stronger and bigger, normal sit ups just tone yourself up