Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Weighted webbing set up?

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Titch, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Titch

Titch New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    guys,

Id like to draw on some of your experiences on weighted webbing if possible.
    Where do you prefer to have the weight?

I'm thinking it may be best to make up a weighted webbing set with just mag pouches (and one water bottle) and evenly spread the weight around the hips?

2. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Pretty much everyones go to in training was to keep the utility pouches empty and then have all the weight evenly distributed in the mag pouches. Then get a couple of bunjee cords over the pouches themselves to try limit the bouncing

• Like Like x 1
  3. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Empty of extra weight, but the utility pouches/water did need to be filled with contents. Though some training teams were more relaxed than others.

bungee is a must. You want to be one with your webbing reducing the individual pouches bouncing around by themselves.

I have also seen a single additional bungee used that clips at the front (like a belt) to secure the webbing tighter.

4. Rob20

Yer seen. However abit of advice on what not to do. Do not go for "racing webbing", like mag pouches and just one utility pouch at the back. One it looks crap. But two, it's kinda taking the piss. You're not expected to have 24hrs rations and oggin bottles in your webbing, but to turn up to the endurance course on test week with a pretty much empty webbing belt could land you in hot water.... Or cold water as was found out with a back trooper on my test week

5. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Wow! That is risky advice! You are/were expected to have water bottles. If you or an opponent go down with heat exhaustion or require water - where is the water going to come from? Plus water makes up a good amount of weight.

I’ve seen troop bosses thrash troops for not having fighting order on tests. I think with recruit training it’s all about playing the game and pushing the rules. If you’re a grey man you can get away with it more so.

I don’t see the value of having empty pouches - as it’s weight. That said if it works for you - try it. If the training team says nothing - bonus. I just wouldnt leave water out.

6. Rob20

Yer true I should be more specific. We'd only carry oggin bottles on the speed marches. For endurance course (which was my main reference point) we left our water at the end of the course at the last tunnel. Had a quick swig whilst on the move before ditching it in the wagon near leafy lane.

When I went to through, anything like endurance/tarzan/bottom field bottle would always be left somewhere for small breaks throughout the sessions but never actually in our webbing

7. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Times change/training teams/SoPs change.

All tests had water bottles in pouches. Only cap comforter left at the trees on endurance course. Bottom field was a spare bottle taken and left.

not saying you’re wrong or I’m right. Just another scenario where it’s best to validate with the training team first or just take the risk and don’t let on

8. Rob20

Yer absolutely. Things do change over time and from troop to troop as you say.

Completely agree though, check with the team.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thegingerone

thegingerone Royal Marines Commando

The PTIs will tell you exactly how to set up your webbing. I had all my weight in my mag pouches and for endurance course I carried a water bottle in my back pouch.

If your looking for webbing weights I highly recommend buying diving blocks. They fit really nicely in your pouches and you can guarantee they won't fill up with water (unlike some of my oppos homemade efforts :eek:)

https://www.deepbluedive.com/catalo...MI3czB1NqL6gIViKztCh15ewtGEAQYASABEgIPpfD_BwE