Weightlifting stunts growth?

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this. But I wandered if the myth that body building (and strenuous exercise) stunts your growth?

I started doing weight training when I was 16, and then added in lots of CV (running, cycling, rowing etc) . At the time I was 6ft tall, and since then I have grown three inches (I'm now 17). So it doesn't seem to have affected me so far. but I wandered what you guys think?

In the pass 6 months I have started to gain some big size from weightlifting, I wander if I will grow any further, because you are meant to stop growing at 21. Apparently 'compression forces on the legs and spine are far greater in running'.

But I just wandered what you guys think?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Strange topic, I don't know much about body building and that myth specifically..

Secondly, if you're joining the Royal Marines you don't want to get big in terms of muscular before RT unless you know you can pull your weight around with ease! You'll fatigue easier and you'll hold the rest of your troop back when you're working as a team, having that said if you can run fast and do major amounts of phys then by all means maintain it!

Why do you want to get big anyway? Chicks dig athletic builds more than bodybuilder builds =P

D

Deleted

Well from my experience it stunted my growth. When i was about 12/13 i went to the gym a lot and started doing the weights, but after a while I noticed that people who used to be a lot smaller than me had passed me. I immediately stopped, and have started growing a lot again. I put it down to weights and things but im not 100% sure.

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
your 6ft what you complaining about! haha im down here at 5ft8

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As far as i know you have to take in the factors of how old you are the weights your using and for how long, but its stupid if you do it too young in my opinion, you can get the same results from BW excercises while developing your base strength bla bla, but the fact is as the older you get you stop growing anyways so to be honest theres nowt to bothered about.

J

Jason_A

It can close your growth plates early -- thus stopping growth. I'm 16, and very small for my age, really. I don't care, anyway. I do weights occasionally, but concentrate more on fitness, eating healthy so on and so forth. They say you can start lifting weights at 16 -- as long as you don't try to lift massive ones. Keep to a average weight to start off, then gradually increase. Remember, "it's a state of mind" :tongue:

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
but then again i know a kiddy who used to be shorter than be and he started doing weights as soon as he left school and now he's a few inches taller and built pretty well. i personally wouldn't have thought that lifting something heavy and pushing somethig heavy would stunt growth

Benji1471

Reaction score

Im 17 && Just Started The Early Stages Of Marines Application Stuff Ie Done Pshycometric, Interview, Medical....

Im 17 As I Said & Im 5ft 5". I Was Underweight For The Marines So Had To Pack On Nearly A Stone Of Weight. I Ran 100metres Under15 & 16's For Surrey & So I Was Pretty Toned But Extreme Muscle Size Providing More Power, Never The Less Would Have Slowed Me Down. Since Them Im Pretty Big (Wide Not Tall) & Id Just Thougt Id Say I Think I Was Short Anyway So Doin Weights Wouldnt Have Stopped Me Growing Anymore.

Thanks For Reading This Completely Non Related Thing If You Have Just Done...

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
However It Is *text deleted**text deleted*ing Annoying. Dont You All Agree.

cutler05

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Weight training can stunt growth!

However............ only doing seriously heavy weights and alot of them! (mainly squats cause it)

when you run on concrete the force through your body is equal to about 7 - 10 times your bodyweight and running doesnt stunt your growth....... so squatting with over ten times yourbody weight will probally stunt your growth............ but then id recommend being the best squatter in the world.... ever... and not a Royal Marine!!......... kinda pointless post i no *text deleted* :noob:

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Weight training can stunt growth!

However............ only doing seriously heavy weights and alot of them! (mainly squats cause it)

when you run on concrete the force through your body is equal to about 7 - 10 times your bodyweight and running doesnt stunt your growth....... so squatting with over ten times yourbody weight will probally stunt your growth............ but then id recommend being the best squatter in the world.... ever... and not a Royal Marine!!......... kinda pointless post i no *text deleted* :noob:

If I could lift 680kg I'd be picking up cars in the middle of the night and hiding them where people didn't park them!

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
LMFAO!!! common Ash I reckon we could both lift a car up and put it somewhere else *text deleted*

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
move his car *text deleted*! can you imagine, he'd think he was going crazy! one of my friends has suggested running naked with his gas mask on around the pass out parade *text deleted*! when we pass out! how fantastic would that be *text deleted*

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
haha we pinned a friends mini on top of some wheely bins at the end of six form. just left him standing there having a mare! *text deleted* good times.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well as I said I was 6ft at the time and I am now 6ft 3 after a year of body building so I'm not sure, though I do take a lot of protein. I wasn't going heavy at the start but have since gone up quite a lot, especially on exercised like back or legs, with dead lifts, squats, leg press etc.

I don't really think weightlifting will affect your spine or joints much, as running puts a lot more pressure on your joints. It's weird but I only weigh 13 stone, you wouldn't think it to look at me. I know tiny little guys at 5 ft 8 and know for a fact I am stronger than them, and yet they weigh 14 or 15 stone.

Well I can't join the Royal Marines now anyway, so while I am still training as hard I don't mind about carrying the extra weight around from muscles. While people with athletic bodies are very strong and fit they look entirely small in comparison to body builders, or at least that's how it feels once you've been doing yourself for a while.