Weights and what not

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys,

i was thinking of buying some weights you know so i can do some at home just to add something else to my training programme as its getting tedious, was going to buy 'Golds gym abs board' from argos to have to because it is annoying me sitting on the floor with nothing put my feet under, plus i think this will encourage me to do them knowing that i only really have to lie on it. :D

another thing is does swimming help with your running as i am starting this up to just want to know before i spend some money on going down.

thanks in advance

CJ

jimmy mal

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In terms of the swimming it is a good full body work out. It will improve your cardiovascular fitness having a knock on effect on your running it will also improvr your muscular endurance allowing you to keep doing a certain exercise for longer. The best thing for running though is running. But swimming is something that can break the boredom of running.

Jim

Reaction score
hi guys,

i was thinking of buying some weights you know so i can do some at home just to add something else to my training programme as its getting tedious, was going to buy 'Golds gym abs board' from argos to have to because it is annoying me sitting on the floor with nothing put my feet under, plus i think this will encourage me to do them knowing that i only really have to lie on it. :D

another thing is does swimming help with your running as i am starting this up to just want to know before i spend some money on going down.

thanks in advance

CJ

Hey, yea weights is a good idea if u do not overtrain or isolate any muscles over and over again. im currently using weights twice a week, 1 session would consist of free weights at home using low weight and high reps aprox 17-20 reps per set. and for the 2nd session i would use gym weights ie the machines with a high weight and low reps, its basicly strength training. Also u mite want too be careful of muscle size as all u will do is add weight to yourself in wich will ultimatly affect your CV. So just train to tone your muscle power

hope this helps

pricey

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Depends what you want result wise, Bit of tone? Increase of strength? Growth of muscle?
Its good to incorporate weights into a training regime,
as $ PRICEY $ said above he trains twice a week, as with me i train 5 time, have been past 2 years and have packed on some serious size, which has greatly effected my cv, i still clock 2.4ks in under 10 mins, but just have a think to what you want to do with them weights, Free weight set of 10 - 15kg, (wont need anything heavier) would come in handy, Can train ppretty much any muscle in comfort of your own home to build up a bit of strength, build bit of muscle, used correctly wont do any harm,

Reaction score
Im not using serious weight at home

barbell curls - 15kg 20 reps 3 sets
hammers- around 12kg 3sets
shrugs- 40kg 3 sets

and so on, not a gr8 deal of weight but at the same time still feel the burn after your workout.i also drink creatine and protein after my workouts *text deleted* your body will be crying out 4 it as workouts basicly tear your muscles and u want to rebuild asap

Reaction score
But further more commandoj i try not to focus too much on weight training but more on the circuit/bodyweight side of training as various of my frinds have told me in the armed forces it will beninfit you no end. i may start heavy weight training wen i can meet all the prmc requirements and beyond just for endurance purposes.

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i have decided just to get the sit up bench, as this will benifit me most due to the discomfort when doing them on the floor with no mat.

Reaction score
Yup i got the same problem i use a door mounted sit up bar and *text deleted**text deleted* me does it hurt my back *text deleted*

MeridiaNx

Reaction score
Thought of checking eBay?

I was after a set not long ago and ended up getting a bench, 3 bars, dumbells, and about 200kg of assorted weights all for something ridiculously cheap like £50.

Worth a look *text deleted*.