Welbeck DSFC - General chit chat

HalB12

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I was just wondering if anyone else in this forum was trying to get into Welbeck DSFC as a Royal Marine ( I know its a very high risk strategy due to it being an engineering school but I go to an engineering school already - Silverstone UTC ? Also does anyone have info or tips and advice? Anything would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Selection for Welbeck is exactly the same as for RM Officer only upper age to apply is 17 & you do not need to pass POC to earn a place. However you must successfully complete POC prior to commencing YO training.

To be eligible you need mainly A* & A grades at GCSE.

HalB12

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Selection for Welbeck is exactly the same as for RM Officer only upper age to apply is 17 & you do not need to pass POC to earn a place. However you must successfully complete POC prior to commencing YO training.

To be eligible you need mainly A* & A grades at GCSE.
Hi Ninja,
So I completely understand the requirements and all but why no POC? I have been training primarily for it. Also is there a way of doing it prior to Welbeck even if it is not a requirement for Welbeck?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you take & pass POC, it only remains valid a year so you would need to retake prior to entry under normal circumstances. No harm in asking though.

BrigRat

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ninja,
So I completely understand the requirements and all but why no POC? I have been training primarily for it. Also is there a way of doing it prior to Welbeck even if it is not a requirement for Welbeck?

Mate, if you get the opportunity to go to Welbeck without taking POC you should in my opinion.

Don't be too desperate to do it now; more time to train (and I imagine there is military physical training there) will all help with POC. Furthermore that extra bit of maturity can't be a hindrance; I'm sure you're already mature and ready, but what's wrong with being more mature and even more ready?

HalB12

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate, if you get the opportunity to go to Welbeck without taking POC you should in my opinion.

Don't be too desperate to do it now; more time to train (and I imagine there is military physical training there) will all help with POC. Furthermore that extra bit of maturity can't be a hindrance; I'm sure you're already mature and ready, but what's wrong with being more mature and even more ready?
Hi mate,
I know what you mean! It's just somehting inside of me which compels me to want to do it! I'll just continue to focus on passing then AIB. I'm sure a little bit of life experience wouldn't go a miss! Thankyou my friend I do appreciate your help and support!

HalB12

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

@Ninja_Stoker

I've just been advised my my careers office that I'll need to take a POC to get into welbeck... I'm very fortunate I've been training for it! Justwanted your opinion on this!
Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker

I've just been advised my my careers office that I'll need to take a POC to get into welbeck... I'm very fortunate I've been training for it! Justwanted your opinion on this!
Thanks
Hopefully, assuming you meet the academic requirements for Welbeck, pass the recruit test, medical, PJFT & Sift, it would be interesting to see whether your ACLO books a POC prior to AIB.

It's easy enough to book someone on a POC and the routine only changed recently this last year. Be sure to keep us posted how you get on. RM Welbexians are very much a rarity, so good luck with it, if you successfully complete selection for Welbeck you'll be a first on the forum.

HalB12

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully, assuming you meet the academic requirements for Welbeck, pass the recruit test, medical, PJFT & Sift, it would be interesting to see whether your ACLO books a POC prior to AIB.

It's easy enough to book someone on a POC and the routine only changed recently this last year. Be sure to keep us posted how you get on. RM Welbexians are very much a rarity, so good luck with it, if you successfully complete selection for Welbeck you'll be a first on the forum.
I will Ninja! Luckily I've been training for the POC just in case! Thanks again!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Luckily I've been training for the POC just in case! Thanks again!
Yep, keep training, definitely. I've requested that there is formal clarification on the issue with regard POC for Welbexians as there appears to be some confusion nationally.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welbeck DSFC AIB Dates for 2016:

14-18 March 2016
22/23 and 23/24 June 2016
4-8 July 2016

My tip? DO NOT aim to be on the last Welbeck AIB

robbo2270

Reaction score
Cheers Ninja! Any update on whether we need to do the POC?

robbo2270

Reaction score
I'm going to, it's just like ninja said there appears to be some confusion

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Cheers Ninja! Any update on whether we need to do the POC?
Still awaiting a final decision on this.

I'm inclined to think that this maybe the last intake for non-engineering RN/RM candidates at Welbeck, but time will tell. Likewise the POC issue.

HalB12

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I found out today that I and any other marine officer candidate for Welbeck will not be taking the POC. Only the SIFT, which I have in two weeks, and the AIB will be necessary.

HalB12

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Shedding some light on your curiosity. I had my letter from AIB requesting only an AIB. I've not had to undertake a POC in this process so for all other Royal Marine hopefuls for Welbeck it must surely mean it's not necessary until second year of sixth form at the college.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback, it was officially announced that Webexians do not take POC at this stage, quite recently. The only reason I knew in advance was I rang AIB to ask.

As stated previously, I think this is the last year non-prospective engineers can apply for Welbeck and would imagine this will be determined whether the RN fill all of their tri-service allocated places at Welbeck this year. Last year was, so far as I'm aware, the first year all places were taken.

HalB12

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Slight restart of this thread... @Ninja_Stoker do you know if an individual makes it to Welbeck they get a sixth form scholarship of £1500 a year or is that a separate application in itself? How does the process work if it is a separate application?