welcoming

fred123

Reaction score
heyhey.

i currently attend a private skl and am interested in entering the royal marines in the ranks.
The school i go to is regarded as a very stuck up skl.. (for some of the kids there, i would have to agree.) but i know tons of people and non of them say i'm stuck up at all (thank god haha)!!

my Question is.. will the rest of the men in the barracks etc not like me because of my back ground, or will they regard me as a marine and one of them?

thanks alot, freddy.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I cant really give you much first hand experience mate, but even the three days spent on PRMC there were lads from all walks of life. So i suppose as long as you dont come across as stuck up or snobby then no problem. I've had a pretty average upbringing and it wouldn't even cross my mind...In fact I'd even like to have a posh rich mate!!!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Welcome Fred,

Good to hear you are thinking of a career with the RM's. Simple answer is that no one will know what you don't tell them.

But even if they knew that you went to a posh school you might get some banter but they certainly won't hold it against you. I wouldn't hide it either if I was you, there are quite a few from that background in the ranks and it's nothing unusual.

It's your personality that will count in training.

All the best
GW

fred123

Reaction score
haha, (I'll keep the last one in mind Bruce)!! lmfao

i was just wandering as Ive had a very nasty situation with some 20 year old before all because some one said "he's from that school"... i managed to get hurt though so i look back and laugh upon it now.

Jewell

Reaction score
heyhey.

i currently attend a private skl and am interested in entering the royal marines in the ranks.
The school i go to is regarded as a very stuck up skl.. (for some of the kids there, i would have to agree.) but i know tons of people and non of them say i'm stuck up at all (thank god haha)!!

my Question is.. will the rest of the men in the barracks etc not like me because of my back ground, or will they regard me as a marine and one of them?

thanks alot, freddy.

I know where your coming from mate,

Not by me but a mate in the same position....Parents had a few bob,a good school etc and joined the marines....he did fail but that was because of his attitude.

The important point to get across is that everyone is level,no one is better than the next person, as long as you muck in with the group, you should be fine...be mentally/physically prepared for violence,shouting,beastings,getting naked alot and drinking piss,something which you will not be used too.

Posh schools are great fella but you dont get much life experience/street knowledge,life is very different from ya average kid that goes to his local community school like i did.

If you do pass your training,you've earned your green lid just as much as everyone else....

fred123

Reaction score
so no one will have a go or be a d!ck to me because i've got that 'rich kid' accent'?

i do spend most of my time with the kids from the 'rival'(*text deleted*) state school and find them far more fun to be with, as the do shout more and tend to be more fun and rowdy haha. so i don't think I'll have a problem mingling in with the crowd.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Would be funny if you turned up in top hat and tails though

fred123

Reaction score
haha,

don't give me ideas!
i would do that.. but i don't think anyone else would find it funny.

FromtheGlos

Reaction score
Come on then what school is it?

And I'm 100% sure that if you work your arse off and muck in then no one will care!!

Jewell

Reaction score
so no one will have a go or be a d!ck to me because i've got that 'rich kid' accent'?

i do spend most of my time with the kids from the 'rival'(*text deleted*) state school and find them far more fun to be with, as the do shout more and tend to be more fun and rowdy haha. so i don't think I'll have a problem mingling in with the crowd.

mate im well spoken...My uncle has an OBE and was the Sheriff of Surrey and is a millionaire.....i spent my first 5 years of my life living on his estate with my mum,bro and sis in a little cottage on his estate.

Just dont take *text deleted**text deleted* and dont let people take the piss.....

Start boxing....get used to getting slapped about....so its not a shock when someone does...

I will be very suprised if i dont get a good few bruises through training.