Wet and dry routine

Elondra

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Surely it's not healthy to do this in -10 degrees???

S

Sotiris

Healthier then spending the entire exercise in wet clothes.

Elondra

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Haha true, I was specifically referring to the wet side of it.

Daz-PRMC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Your dry kit is essentially safety stores, say you get wet and think 'right, I'll stow these and stick my dry kit on' half way into a patrol, you get rained on, crawl through a puddle or whatever... you now have 2 sets of wet clothes and less chance of them drying

Regardless of the temperature it's always better to have one set of rig permanently dry

RC

Reaction score
The first week when we (RMR) did Baptists Run (run through/practice) at CTC, the temperature was dropping to around -8 most nights. Wet and dry routine was supposed to be done, however, due to several regular recruits going down with hypothermia (1 pretty badly) the previous day, some high ranking officer decided it was a health risk and banned wet and dry. What a guy !

However, following week we had to do it on the actual test, but the temp had increased to around 0 degrees by then.

So, I doubt any recruits will be made to get wet deliberately to do wet and dry if it is -10???

Rich.

Elondra

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The weather forecast says that it's about 3 degrees, it seems like I guessed the temperature wrong! Still, it seems far too cold to be getting wet:(

C

cujo

can somebody talk me through the wet & dry routine please, i heard about it a while ago but have completey forgotten what it is!

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
It's pretty simple really.

Basically, when out on exercise you have two sets of clothes. One you wear during the day when you're going to get wet. When you set up camp for the night, you change into your dry set.

I'd imagine the hardest part about it is the next day, getting back into your wet clothes!

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
anyone know in what week wet&dry is, i start RT on feb and its *text deleted* be freeeeezing haha funtimes aye

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Basically, when out on exercise you have two sets of clothes. One you wear during the day when you're going to get wet. When you set up camp for the night, you change into your dry set.

I'd imagine the hardest part about it is the next day, getting back into your wet clothes!

Dont forget getting up for stag every few hours. it'll be funny to talk about afterwards though, killer at the time.

C

cujo

ahh yes, got it now...sounds like a walk in the park :unsure:

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
On ex we waded through some pool that was neck deep so we got totally soaked then moved into the harbour area, those on sentry stayed on sentry while the others put up bivvys and got into their dry clothes and got into their bags, when you're nice and warm in your sleeping bag and you get shook for sentry and its windy as *text deleted*, hammering with rain and just horrible, knowing you've *text deleted* get up out of your warm bag, get naked and into your cold soaking wet clothes and wet socks into your wet boots in the pitch black, and get on sentry having no sleep atall, thats where you start to question yourself as to why am I doing this, its all natural though - everyone thinks that. When you first do it it will be horrible I guarentee you, but you will be laughing about it next time, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

spiral

Reaction score
I've done wet and dry a few times in a non-military situation. I've used a hot mess tin (heat it over your hexy/gas stove) with rocks in as a make-shift iron to basically steam off the worst of the wet from some kit (combats, t-shirt, socks ideally). It doesn't take that long, and isn't perfect, but is *way* better than having them just dripping wet.

Anybody else have a routine they like for sorting their wet kit as best they can?

Nahoon

Reaction score
I'm RMR too and have done wet and dry more than once. It's minging and yes the worse bits are getting up for sentry and putting wet kit on and when you get up at 5am to start your morning routine.

It's just a case of gritting your teeth and getting on with it.

We have to stow our wet kit in our bergens (in canoe bag) so everything is stowed away.

Rumour around our det is we have wet and dry again this weekend to test our commitment! Fun fun fun!

Rkec

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
nahoon are you rmr london?? if you are which det and section are you in?? theres a rumour going around the london lads that our psi (i shall not name names!!) will put us through the puddle if we *text deleted**text deleted* up (again) but we just reason that no *text deleted**text deleted*ing up= no getting wet!!

RC

Reaction score
nahoon are you rmr london?? if you are which det and section are you in?? theres a rumour going around the london lads that our psi (i shall not name names!!) will put us through the puddle if we *text deleted**text deleted* up (again) but we just reason that no *text deleted**text deleted*ing up= no getting wet!!

*text deleted* ... does your PSI's have a problem with reservists by any chance ? Two PSI's we had in training seemed to have been hand picked for their hate of reservists.

Rich.

Rkec

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* even if i thought that i would not say! nah our psi is tough but very fair, the training team never beast us unless we deserve it which we do all the time. eg when one of us messes up all of us pay the price. so in theory if we stay switched on and do what were told we should stay dry! hopefully

RM

Corporal RM KIA 24/10/2012
Reaction score
to be honest lads it sounds like theres alot of waffling going on in this room. this site is dedicated towards prep for the PRMC. a bit of advice, dont look to far ahead. youve got alot of training ahead and you should take it a step at a time, when the time comes to do it, you will be taught and then freeze your nuts that eveing when you get up for sentry at 0300hrs