What age are most of the YO's at the start of traning?

steveg16

Reaction score
Good evening all, i was just thinking about how old the majority of the YO's are when they start training at Lympstone. I know it's going to be anything from 18-25 but are most around 21-22 for example?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Steve

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You've just about nailed it Steve, 22 is probably the average age of the majority. Not many successfully pass the Recruiting Test, sift Interview, POC & AIB and actually get selected to join under this age, possibly due to the fact they are still mentally & physically maturing. Obviously some can & do, but not many.

Few guys under 20 have much by way of management & leadership skills & life experience unless they were involved in something like the cadet organisations

steveg16

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply Ninja. If i am successful i will be 24 at the start of training, quickly approching 25. I was slightly concerned that i would be quite old in comparison with the other YO recruits. Not that it would be a problem.
Thanks again, Steve

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's pretty much guaranteed there will be guys older than you also if you're successful. There's always "last minute merchants" who leave it until the last possible gasp for a variety of reasons. (A high risk strategy if they subsequently pick up an injury).