What are the chances??

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Guys!..

Iam New to the forum!.. So just saying "Hi" And i have medical question what needs answering :)...

Really keen on joining the marines and have been since the age of 10!..
Now 16 and just recently left school i have come to the decision that the marines is for me..

Iam Very fit and race Mountain Bikes at an international level so fitness isn't an issue and strength has always been good due to going to the gym most days and iam very dedicated to anything i do! So i think the marines would love a person like me to join them...

But just reading the medical information i see that there might be a slight problem. I Was diagnosed with Very Mild ADHD when i was 10yo just simply because i think i was a little hyper and always wanted to be outside from 6am in the morning to 9pm at night climbing trees and going on walks up the fells etc!.

But just recently i have seen a massive change in myself and have no effects of ADHD anymore and just recently stopped taking my medication for it. Like i said i only had Very Mild ADHD and always been mature but just hyper as a little kid *text deleted*..

So if i explained this too the Medical people and spoke to my doctor about it what do you reckon the chances are that i could still join the marines??..:dontaskme:

Many Thanks
Sam

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Rusty,

Welcome to the site mate, I'm not 100% sure but I hope they don't hold you back on what could have been a misdiagnosis over being a bit energetic and true ADHD.

It's a fine line between the 2 and just be honest with your careers advisor and med officer and you'll have a good chance.

All the bets
GW

M

marcsteele08

I think it is worthwhile taking a look at this post, as it is basically the same issue.
Best of luck anyway on what happens, hope this has helped.

P.s I used to go on an annual trip to Kendal with my primary school football team *text deleted*.
We used to live in the Nuns place hehe.
Do you know where this is?
Also, we used to play a local school football team!
Marc.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'd just like to say one thing.. Kendal Mint Cake! If I had to choose what food would be left on this earth if no other food did, it would be Kendal Mint Cake, that stuff has been fueling me for years!

On another not, welcome to the site, we've just recently had a huge thread on ADHD which can be found by clicked HERE! It outlines what you have to do to get in the Royals if you have ADHD, it IS possible but specifically read Ninja_Stokers posts on that thread and you'll get a better understanding.

Good luck with your future application!

Ash

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers For the warm welcome guys!..

*text deleted*.. Yeah i do agree you cant beat a good piece of kendal mint cake, The nice taste stays in your mouth for ages!.. Shame its soaked in layers and layers and layers of suger!..

Just read that other thread about ADHD so basically Ninja_Stokers is saying if my GP says i'am now completely free of ADHD and takes it off my medical record etc there is a good chance that id be able to join if i show my maturity and show them that i have Reliable track record?

Many Thanks
Sam

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you should be fine mate, the only problem I see is it states that you should of not receive any medically prescribed drug for it for over 3 years, but it sound like you have, I'd go to your gp and try and fight for the case that you were misdiagnosed and you were infact just a little too hyper. that way you should be able to enter right away, but due to the fact you have taken prescribed drug this could hold you back for 3 years or so.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So do you reckon if my doctors signs me off ADHD and says i don't have any more symptoms of it, Do you reckon there is a high chance that id be able to get into the marines then??..

Id Bloody Love to join the marines its my dream!.. Going for a chat down at the AFCO Next week so ill tell them and see what they have to say about it!..

Cheers for all the good replys!
Sam