Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

What can I do to boost my chances of joining as an officer?

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Jim1298, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Jim1298

Jim1298 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    A little background for you, I'm currently 18 in my last year of a levels and I hope to go to uni in September. After graduating, I hope to join the RM as an officer.
    At uni, I am going to join the UOTC (I accept this if for the Army not Navy or RM but it should give me valuable experience, and looks pretty fun!)
    My question is, as the title suggests, what else can I be doing to boost my chances of getting in?
    I know my fitness needs to be exceptional and that they generally look for people with 'life experience'. Does this mean things like traveling etc.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Hopefully others better qualified than I will chip in with their suggestions but for what it's worth:

One intake of about fifty Young Officers each year sets a very high bar. Academic achievement only makes one eligible to apply. Passing the hurdles up to and including POC merely opens the door to Admiralty Interview Board which is arguably where the final cut decisions are made. Some candidates will have impressive sporting background; others will have travelled extensively.

For someone who has neither of these on their CV I'd suggest being proactive about stepping outside of one's comfort zone, making lots of mistakes and learning from them. There are plenty of opportunities to do so if one applies some creative thinking.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Ex Pongo

To keep it concise- One of the primary components to any selection process within HM forces is that you have to demonstrate the ability to operate as a member of a team.
    The key to being selected as a potential officer is that you can show that you can lead a team. Any past history that shows that you have some successful experience of doing this would help. Use this time to seek out opportunities that cause you to lead, plan and organise.

Continue to glean as much information as you can about the structure, history and current news about the Royal Marines.

The more people in the know you speak to and the more gen you can collate - the better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    The key is to make yourself stand out from the crowd. Degree - tick, UOTC - tick, fitness - tick, but so what? So has everyone else.

From your post I think you already know you need something else. Get out there and do something interesting and challenging. Teach English to pygmies, build a refuge for chimps in the Upper Volta. Doesn’t really matter what it is but have some life experiences you can talk about that show how you’ve worked as part of a team (preferably in a leadership role) to overcome adversity and achieve something.

Additionally, get yourself lost in some mountains with a map at weekends and don’t let your Mum do your dhobi.

Lastly, enjoy yourself at Uni, life is too short.

Good luck for whatever you decide to do. I wish I were in your shoes and could do it all over again!

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Jim1298 If the Upper Volta is not accessible by public transport consider touching base with your local NHS Trust Social Services and asking about volunteering with youngsters on its list. If you hit a blank wall initially follow it up and talk about setting up a small programme. You'll have to undergo a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check but this is often done concurrent with the volunteering.
    From personal experience, persuading and motivating a bunch of anti-authority, subversive youngsters is a tougher call than leading a sports team which already has an established common purpose.
    Just throwing an idea into the mix as an example of what opportunities are out there.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Ex Pongo

Or try and teach Paras basic arithmetic :D

• Like Like x 3