What distance are you running?

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Alright chaps,
I was just wondering what kind of distance people are running? I know there is a lot of talk on here about how fast you can run the 1.5 mile and some people can cirtinly do it fast but i was interested to know distance rather than time.

a friend and i did 6.5 miles last night and it was up some seriously steep hills. do you think it is important in training that we do long distance or keep the distance short but do it fast?

what's your opinion chaps?

Marco

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The longest I've ran was 10 miles, but I find even though I can run 10 miles, my 3 miler still remains sh!t, so I have dropped all the long distance running and have based my training around PRMC, I still do one 6 miler a week tho but mainly do quick 4 milers and loads of sprint work.

RM

Corporal RM KIA 24/10/2012
Reaction score
It is important to be able to run your 1.5 miler in good time, however you will be doing longer and harder runs during RT so working on longer distances is simply a bonus in your training. intervall training is also a good tool

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I Normally go on the treadmill in the gym for about 30 Minutes then get on the bike for 20 minutes then get the guns pumped up!!.. :rock:

Sam

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was running 8 miles 4 times a week with a longer run on weekends if I had the time. This was great for my stamina but no good for my speed. I could go for over 20 miles but only at a 10 min mile pace.

With my PRMC in mind I have dropped down to 4 mile runs but I digg out blind all the way. I actually feel more worn out after the fast 4 mile runs than I do on the steady 8 mile runs.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Rusty, you should try and train outdoors as well.

When running outside you have to deal with a lot more (hills, mud, different surfaces, uneven surfaces, cold, heat, rain etc) and most people find it harder.

The only real time you will use treadmills in training is if you are in Hunter so its good to get used to running outdoors.

0.01%

Reaction score

When running outside you have to deal with a lot more (hills, mud, different surfaces, uneven surfaces, cold, heat, rain etc) and most people find it harder.

The only real time you will use treadmills in training is if you are in Hunter so its good to get used to running outdoors.
Couldn't agree more. When I first started training I was using the treadmill for about 90% of my runs, and was quite happy with how my times were coming along. When I tried to replicate these times outside, they were a lot worse for the same distances.

Apart from the factors mentioned above, I always feel that running machines aid your runs and that they help you get into a comfertable rhythm. Basically you just end up bouncing along and it's not all that much like running at all! They are good for basic fitness, dropping weight etc but not the best if you've got a set distance and time to aim for, i.e the 3 miler.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Yup use outdoors more than i do indoors mate!.. Live in the Lake District, So its the hilliest area in the UK. So have some proper runs on my doorstep, With like you said "Mud, Hills, And it always rains!".. Proper training!.. Run for the same distance outside too (30 Minutes).

Sam

WrapJuice

Reaction score
ah ok, well i also ride just over 7 miles on my bike to work and back so that good too i guess. not that i suppose we will be doing much cycling in training!

thanks for the advice guys, i will start working on getting my speed up on shorter distances.

jimmy mal

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I find a mixture of runs is the best way to go. I run 2x3milers a week in about 20 mins and a longer 6 miler at the weekend still pushing hard. I also do my 1.5 miles in the gym before i do a session as it doesn't take long, about 3 times a week with the 1.5 milers i try and beat my previous time every time.

Its important to run the 1.5 and 3 milers but also don't forget the bottom field test on PRMC/POC you need to be able to keep going for a long time at high intensity.

Jim

Reaction score
Running fairly long distance is good. i never run more than 5 miles tho.. i dont think it matters how far you can run.. it all comes down to pace.. just give yourself a distance and the pick up the pace every time you do that distance.. its no good running 10 miles if your doing it at the pace my grandma can *text deleted*!!

WrapJuice

Reaction score
you havent been to Scotland I take it ;)
I can agree with you there zooby! my mum lives in scottland and it's *text deleted**text deleted*ing cold and rainy.... all the time!

LukeJillings

Reaction score
i ran 11 mile down rochdale canal to my grans in oldham *text deleted* but i still am *text deleted**text deleted* with the 3 miler i went n did it just then and got the 3 mile in 21:59 which i gess isnt to bad but still needs improving:)

WrapJuice

Reaction score
well you lot are far better then me! i have a long way to go i think. i did 3 miles in 25 mins i think, this isn't good enough is it?

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do a nice mix, get my HR up and fit in some hill sprints to beef up my legs.

Monday:

4Miles total
185-195 HR - First 2 miles - 12-13 Mins.
170-195 HR Fartlek - 3rd Mile - 6-7 Mins.
165-170 HR Jog - 4th Mile - 8 Mins.

Wednesday:

4Miles total

Friday:

4Miles total

Saturday:

20 Min hill sprints, Run up then jog down.

LukeJillings

Reaction score
well you lot are far better then me! i have a long way to go i think. i did 3 miles in 25 mins i think, this isn't good enough is it?
well if ya think about it pal the 3 mile run is in 2 half's the 1st half ran in 12 min i think as a troop then the sprint back in under 10:30 so if ya add them together 22:30 if ya get lower than that i think ya should be ok

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
That's almost an ultra-marathon, wouldn't want to do 1 of them every week