What do Marines do when not in Afghanistan ?

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
So I've been reading this board quite alot and it's been real interesting and real helpful aswell ..

I've read that they're doing 7 months in afghan and 14 months off..

I'm just curious because I've watched commando on the front line and aload of other marine vids on youtube and at the end of commando on the front line2 of the lads are sent to afghanistan, now I've got it into my head that marines is all about going to war but now I'm confused as to what they do when they're not on leave(afghanistan)

I mean are they goin to other countries or staying in england training etc.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
anything really, if you just passed out then you will be training, going to other countries and training, and just general duties such as gaurd dutie etc etc. but if you have been in a while you will do your other job/specilisation and train, which will keep you occupide

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you have a look on the Military News & Clips forum or click on the individual Commando Units News on the official site, you should get a good idea of what each unit is up to.

The Royal Marines are operating at full stretch & believe me they are kept busy when not on an operational tour. It's also during this period that your leave entitlement can be taken to enjoy some recreation & relaxation inbetween the busy ongoing operational programme.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The 2 marines sent straight out to Afghan in commando: on the front line were the 'diamonds' (best recruits)of the troop. They made it sound as if the entire troop woul be deployed immediately but this obviously wasn't the case