What do you concentrate on?

Aspiring87

Reaction score
Hello guys, still new to this website, but im starting to train to become a RM, im a long way off in regards to fitness, but ive just joined fitness first and going every evening, just wondering when you go to the gym what do you mainly concentrate on?
Also need some advice on recovery, i seem to do about an hour of pull ups, pressups, sit ups, weights and cv, then try and do some more and im burnt out, i dont seem to recover quick enough, is there anything i can add to my diet to help with this?

Cheers.

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Try not to train every evening mate, you need rest days. But what your doing sounds ok, make sure your technqiue in the pull ups, sit ups and press ups is right. What you could do is do a few circuits aswell, with some different bodyweight exercises, for examples different types of press ups, various kinds of sit ups/crunches, squats, burpees (my favourite), suqat thrusts, lunges etc. (just google them if you dont know what they are), and mix them up with sprints and other forms of cardio.

MT6690

Reaction score
eat pasta, steak and chicken *text deleted* or anything that tastes nice- thats what i do and my weights fine. i do alot of swimming, builds up stamina and i noticed it helps when your in the gym..you can recover quicker.

swimming is very under rated, your constantly working all your muscles, breathing and stamina....plus theres always a bit of fannie about *text deleted*.

at the end of the day you just need to find a routine best for you.

MT

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You concentrate on what needs worked on.

But for RM training the basics/what you will be doing, should be at the core of your schedule. Running, Pushups, Pullups, Situps, everything else is supplementary. Just work on them all until they're of the standard but I would say running most importantly since this is where most fail.

Don't try and burn out everyday, I think that goes without saying though.

Me for example when doing BW exercises, I'll do maybe 3 sets of Pullups, thats all, 6 Ab sets/diff exercises or more(these are high endurance muscles) and maybe the same for pushups. Then that's it and do your other stuff.

As for diet, what are you eating *text deleted*? give a rough daily outline if you can.

I'm not going to type out all the foods but you can get info on this site or if you search. Also check these:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2845231
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3720211

Forget that it's a bodybuilding site, although that's a different goal, the nutrition is generally the same.

Good luck.

Aspiring87

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys...

my diet at the moment has improved slightly

Breakfast: Nothing :worried: never eat before i go to work which is maybe where i should make the first improvment.
Mid morning: 2 sandwhiches
Lunch: chicken/ham salad
Mid afternoon: Fruit, melon/grapes etc
Dinner: usually meet, steak, pork, chicken or fish with vegetables/potatoes.
Late night: Scrambled eggs or something small on toast.

During the day i would probably drink about 2 litres of water.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Baker those threads you posted are cracking just thought i'd add something i found through following some links on there:
To work out your Base Metabolic Rate (how many calories you burn from just sitting there, not eating, not keeping yourself warm etc):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
use the second formula, looks more daunting than it is. Eg i'm male 90kgs, 180 cm 25 yrs old so to use the formula:
(9.99*90)+(6.25*180)-(4.92*25)+5= 1906 so my BMR is 1906 Kcals per day
To add calories you'll burn in exercise:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
so as i participate in moderate to hard exercise 5-6 day a week i multiplied my BMR by 1.65 (halfway between moderate and hard) so i need approx 3144.9 Kcals per day.
Thought it'd be useful for people like me trying to loose bulk and people like Rusty trying to bulk up

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score

Breakfast: Nothing :worried: never eat before i go to work which is maybe where i should make the first improvment.

Diet sounds pretty good,
but like you said,
get something in before work,
a banana and a slice of toast or something.

Joe

tripper

Reaction score
according to that thing i need about 3500ish cals to maintain my current weight. i eat in excess of 5/6000 a day but im LOSING weight. i want to lose weight so thats ok, but i dont really understand...

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
according to that thing i need about 3500ish cals to maintain my current weight. i eat in excess of 5/6000 a day but im LOSING weight. i want to lose weight so thats ok, but i dont really understand...
You must be 'extra phys' yourself bloody hard.

Joe

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
hmm that is odd, though one thing i will say is the body struggles to metabolise more than 4k calories a day (you need to build up to it) so it could be that some of these cals are just not getting used or you're miscalculating how many you're eating?

tripper

Reaction score
yeh i have a feeling im cocking up the figures somewere... i CANT b eating that much surely. and im supposed to work teaching kids maths :uglyhammer:

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Sounds alright, I would clearly add morning meal, even if it's just a bowl of oats at a minimum, most important meal of the day like they say. :wink:

Looks like you could use some denser food in your mid afternoon meal, maybe some oats.

One of the reasons i mention oats is because 1; it's a brilliant carb with lots of calories and 2; you can liquidise and drink it(and ofcourse you can add anything to it that you like, whey, peanut butter, olive oil etc and whatever for flavouring if you're fussy) which is great if you're a slow eater like me.

It's good that you're eating 5 meals a day though, just add that 6th in the morning.

What are your height and weight stats? and BF % if you have it.

Aspiring87

Reaction score
Oats sound good, ill add that to my diet.

Height: 6ft
weight: 12 and half stone.
BMI: 13.2

in regards to hydrated i believe i could drink more than i do, put away at least 2 litres a day though, but due to training i guess i could drink more.