What do your employers think of you being in the reserves?

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by posh_punter, Dec 9, 2016.

1. posh_punter

posh_punter New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Chaps,

I would be interested to hear what peoples' employers think about them being in the reserves. You see all the official media about how employers greatly appreciate you being in the reserves etc. and how they welcome all the skills it gives you.

However, I'm interested to hear if this is the case in reality? Have many people had employers who aren't supportive of them being in the RMR?

How do you best explain the RMR to them? In my experience, most people don't know a huge deal about the reserve forces.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

In the real world not all employers can support the stress of key personnel being away from the workplace while meeting Reserve commitments. Some employers—often the bigger ones—impose a limit on the percentage of employees in Reserve service at any one time.

Before starting discussions with an employer about Reserve service research the potential implications for the employer so that you can make a sound business argument to support your proposal. Best of luck.

3. posh_punter

posh_punter New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Thanks Chelonian, I'm only in the initial stages of joining at the moment, so my concerns were more along the lines of having to leave early to get to a training weekend, or not being able to stay late because you need to get to a training night etc. rather than being deployed.

Just about to change jobs, so am hoping they will see the benefits.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Consider what you can do to ensure that the operational needs of the business will continue to be met—or even exceeded—if you join Reserves. If you can bring solutions rather than problems to a meeting with your manager it will make life easier. Many potential reservists meet resistance from employers because of a failure to effectively 'sell' the idea.

5. posh_punter

posh_punter New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    That definitely seems the best way to go about it. I'm going to make sure I've planned what I'm going to say in detail before I talk to them about it.

I'd be interested to hear how guys who are currently in the RMR have 'sold' it to their employers.

• Like Like x 1