What happens if you have a bad day training?

Fishnchips

Reaction score
I'm currently just about at the fitness level to pass the PJFT. They've just changed it to a virtual PJFT which looks much easier to pass.

Training at home I usually run for 25 minutes. But occasionally on some days I don't seem to turn up and I barely make it past 5 minutes. I'll get 5 minutes into my 25 minutes that I've done many times but I'll be gassed out. I suspect this might have to do with my hydration levels, which I'm going to definitely pay more attention to.

Since I'm going to be starting commando training, is it ok to let my recruitment officer know that I would like more time to polish my endurance?

The last thing I want to do is get there and hold my team back. I would say if I had another 3 weeks of training I could get to a standard I'd feel somewhat prepared at.

stoic_phys

Reaction score
I think it would be best to postpone and work on the phys.
What are your current scores for press ups/sit ups/pull ups and 1.5 mile?

Chelonian

Reaction score
Since I'm going to be starting commando training, is it ok to let my recruitment officer know that I would like more time to polish my endurance?

Speak to your Careers Adviser and discuss options. Are you running every day? If so you may not be getting adequate recovery time.

I imagine that you are already aware that current circumstances mean that some elements of recruitment selection have been adapted:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/virtual-pjft-prmc-replacement.127204/

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
You need to be able to run around six miles at an 7.5 to 8 min mile pace, plus have enough cardio to see you through a bottom field session.

Try following a programme such as @arny01 or @Fintan to see you through.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I'll be honest and you won't like the answer.

You are not ready.

Hydration, yes it's important, isn't what's causing you to gas out at the 5 minute mark.

Whilst I wouldn't recommend it, I've still completed Phys sessions in a state best described as 'heavily intoxicated to the point of stupor' and still cranked out a 25 minute 5k run.

With the information you've imparted, you need to do a shed load more before you walk through the gates of CTCRM, or you'll be heading back out of them very quickly. Do not underestimate the requirements, nor expectations placed upon recruits. We do not demand excellence from the off, but we do demand a basic level of capability, that extends beyond 5 minutes.

Welshy

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm currently just about at the fitness level to pass the PJFT. They've just changed it to a virtual PJFT which looks much easier to pass.

Training at home I usually run for 25 minutes. But occasionally on some days I don't seem to turn up and I barely make it past 5 minutes. I'll get 5 minutes into my 25 minutes that I've done many times but I'll be gassed out. I suspect this might have to do with my hydration levels, which I'm going to definitely pay more attention to.

The last thing I want to do is get there and hold my team back. I would say if I had another 3 weeks of training I could get to a standard I'd feel somewhat prepared at.

You can always call your AFCO and differ your joining date if you feel you need more time to prepare and with the running I’ll say the same thing I say a lot of the time to lads , don’t overdo it with the running pre training that’s a sure fire way to stress fractures/ shin splints, do running every other day or two to three times a week and factor in some swimming and stretch/ rolling off periods to give yourself the best chance at recovery

Welshy

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

You are not ready.

Hydration, yes it's important, isn't what's causing you to gas out at the 5 minute mark.

Whilst I wouldn't recommend it, I've still completed Phys sessions in a state best described as 'heavily intoxicated to the point of stupor' and still cranked out a 25 minute 5k run.

With the information you've imparted, you need to do a shed load more before you walk through the gates of CTCRM, or you'll be heading back out of them very quickly. Do not underestimate the requirements, nor expectations placed upon recruits. We do not demand excellence from the off, but we do demand a basic level of capability, that extends beyond 5 minutes.

5 minutes is golden in the bedroom by my standard but in phys not so much

Fishnchips

Reaction score
Thanks guys, hit a PB after reading these today. I will postpone it for about 3 weeks or so to make sure I'm ready.

Fishnchips

Reaction score

You are not ready.

You're right. But I still can't explain why one day I can run for 30 minutes and the next day I can barely make it 5. I run 3 days a week and take at least a day rest in between. I get plenty of calories too and float around 80kg @ 15% bf - 6 feet. I was into weights before I enlisted so I have some muscle which I think hinders me as it adds weight and creates more elastic acid. I would trade any strength progress I've made in a heartbeat if it meant I could be fitter.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I will postpone it for about 3 weeks or so to make sure I'm ready.

Don't set yourself too tight a deadline. Be honest with yourself and with your CA. If six weeks will give you a better opportunity to correct any deficit go for that in the first instance rather than having to go back to your CA to ask for a further postponement.
Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

Griff149

Reaction score
You're right. But I still can't explain why one day I can run for 30 minutes and the next day I can barely make it 5. I run 3 days a week and take at least a day rest in between. I get plenty of calories too and float around 80kg @ 15% bf - 6 feet. I was into weights before I enlisted so I have some muscle which I think hinders me as it adds weight and creates more elastic acid. I would trade any strength progress I've made in a heartbeat if it meant I could be fitter.

You need to work up to some longer runs and just stick with them when it feels tough and you want to quit. If you’re burning out after 5 minutes you’re probably running too fast for your body to handle at that speed over a prolonged period. Have you got a smart watch so you can track your running speeds?

If you’re consistent with your diet (good food at consistent times throughout the day) and drink plenty that won’t cause you any issues.

I’m certainly not the fittest lad on here by an extremely long shot but your timeframe of 3 weeks to go from being able to run 5 minutes to be able to build up a strong level of endurance sounds optimistic mate. Don’t rush the process as that’ll lead to injuries, just up the mileage gradually each week and try and beat your previous times and I’m sure you’ll start to see improvements.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Only you'll know the answer, but are you giving up on days you dont feel like it?

Im not presuming, but if you've proven you can run 25-30 minutes which you have its got to be a different factor. As lads have said here, often you'll be very dehydrated or hungover after a run ashore and still griz the troop phys in the morning. Be honest with yourself, could it be a mental thing?

Fishnchips

Reaction score
Only you'll know the answer, but are you giving up on days you dont feel like it?

Im not presuming, but if you've proven you can run 25-30 minutes which you have its got to be a different factor. As lads have said here, often you'll be very dehydrated or hungover after a run ashore and still griz the troop phys in the morning. Be honest with yourself, could it be a mental thing?
It's a physical feeling in my lungs

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
I,m not going to dress this up. You are 20 years of age and run for 5 mins and are then tired so stop.!! You do know this is a Royal Marines you are applying for??? forget 3 weeks delay, you need several months of hard work before considering joining.

Have a serious think, and a look at what training involves, simply put you are nowhere near ready. get a robust training regime going and stick to it for a few months (3 at least) then think again...then and only then go for it if think you are ready.

If you feel you have a real issue breathing when conducting phys , see a Dr,.