What happens if ?

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I was reading on the royal marines website that if you want to leave then you have up until 3 months to do so unless you are under 18 and you have up to 6 months.

My question is that in Commando On the Front Line I belive plenty of lads quit quite along way into it.

So what happens ?

If you want to leave and it's after that time period what happens ?

Just curious.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I was reading on the royal marines website that if you want to leave then you have up until 3 months to do so unless you are under 18 and you have up to 6 months.

My question is that in Commando On the Front Line I belive plenty of lads quit quite along way into it.

So what happens ?

If you want to leave and it's after that time period what happens ?

Just curious.

I've wondered that,
because it says you have to wait like 3 and a half years or something,
but I've watched documentaries and 19 year olds talk about leaving after that tour?

Joe

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't seem to make sense, I always thought that once you were in you were in for 4 years, apply to leave after 3 and do a years notice.

Gidion

Reaction score
You have to serve a minimum of 28 days, unless you can show good reason to leave before. After 28 days have passed, you have the opportunity to leave for something like 3 months, but im not sure on the timescale of the window

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yeah but what happens if after that time scale is up ? say you've been there 25 weeks and you jsut can't take it anymore ?

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I remember watching a documentary on squadies that got out by snorting cocaine to get themselves dis-honourably discharged... bunch of *text deleted**text deleted*ing winners!

Ipodbob

Reaction score
desperate times = desperate measures

lets hope it don't come to that, try to look past the training and imagine the world with the glory of the green lid and the biggest boys club in the world.

deano1617

Reaction score
i think as soon as the 6 months have passed u have to give a years notice
unless theres a good reason you need to leave
im not too sure though
contact *text deleted* afco they'll know

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Guys it's not exact but its something like this,

For over 18's, 2 weeks service before you can give 2 weeks notice to leave, so basically 4 weeks before you can leave training.

At any point up until around 6 months (I think it's 6 months) you can still give 2 weeks notice.

After the 6 months you lose your opt out and must complete 3 1/2 years before giving 12 months notice. This taking you upto 4 1/2 years service.

Not 100% sure of figures but it is something around that.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
So presumably if you're 6 months down the line in training and really want to leave, you just start failing all the tests?

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Alot of talk about dodgy ways to get out of service, i would have thought that if you that if you could really not handle it there would be system that would evaluate your level of competence as i sure they dont want someone in a combat situation that truly has no desire to be there as it could cost lives. The Armed forces have psychologists, chaplains and medical professionals for a reason.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Guys it's not exact but its something like this,

For over 18's, 2 weeks service before you can give 2 weeks notice to leave, so basically 4 weeks before you can leave training.

At any point up until around 6 months (I think it's 6 months) you can still give 2 weeks notice.

After the 6 months you lose your opt out and must complete 3 1/2 years before giving 12 months notice. This taking you upto 4 1/2 years service.

Not 100% sure of figures but it is something around that.

but what do you do for those 3 1/2 years if you don't want to be there ? If you can't leave then what do you do for 3 1/2 years ?

New Threads