What is it coming too....

Swordfish

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is this seriously what the BRITISH Royal Navy are now going to have to wear....baseball caps:weird:

http://navynews.co.uk/archive/news/item/4041

Not sure anyone else view...but to me this is taking the p*text deleted** out of the Navy surely...Im all for new modern uniforms but is this just a little over the top? Thoughts?

Reaction score
I'm not keen either. Looks like they're about to whip up a Dominos pizza at any moment...

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's horrific!! Must be a yank design!!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The article is simply about trial uniforms - we're forever trying out different clothing & equipment.

A few years back we trialled some amazingly silly bib & braces trousers which caused much hilarity & wasn't seen as remotely practical. RN Overalls have changed in style about 15 or 16 times since I joined. Berets were introduced after WWII and were infinitely more practical than the traditional, rigid sailors hat.

Very often people buy their own "ship crested" baseball cap whilst deployed in sunny climes as they help reduce glare, thus lessening the similarity to a be-speckled caricature of a Japanese sniper. I'd wager the beret will be preferred because it can fit into a pocket or belt loop unlike a baseball cap due to the peak. At sea, inside ship (below decks), the only people wearing baseball caps will be those who have windows to the outside world during daylight hours - ie: the bridge crew. Headgear can't be worn in the vicinity of flying aircraft on the flight-deck, in any case.

Oz25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It seems very American to me. Even the new combat clothing we are wearing in Afghan looks American. We are being Yankanised!

Mind you, we were looking a bit dated until late...

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It may be inconvenient with the peak, but personally I like it. The American style looks good to me.
But I prefer the RM uniform regs with MTP to the army's, which just looks scruffy over anything else.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know so much. I think it looks alright! :embarrest:

Stoo2k

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I too think it looks ok. Looks better than the silly elephants foot i used to have to wear at least. When i was in the RN a few years ago there was a black shirt version of this which did look smart and nothing came of that either.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Is it just me Stoo2k, or do you also think the bloke in that picture looks a bit like our CA? :uglyhammer:

Stoo2k

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Is it just me Stoo2k, or do you also think the bloke in that picture looks a bit like our CA? :uglyhammer:
the guy from the ww2 picture. No, dont be daft! :biggrin:

A little.

alex18

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see the point. My mates in the navy complain about all sorts of things - mainly leave and pay - but I've never heard them complain about their uniforms.

Surely we have better things to spend money on?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
'tis often said, the only time to worry about matelots is when they stop complaining. If they stop complaining, it means they are planning something...